Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2012, 03:25 PM   #176
edandsandy
Registered Member

Your babies are just beautiful...
Mine sould hatch Monday, I have everything ready for them
I don't remember reading if you use the filter floss in your rotifers or not.... If so... do you like it?
It came in my "started kit" from Reed..... I'm using it, I'm just not sure if its really necessary....

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
edandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2012, 04:18 PM   #177
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by edandsandy View Post
Your babies are just beautiful...
Mine sould hatch Monday, I have everything ready for them
I don't remember reading if you use the filter floss in your rotifers or not.... If so... do you like it?
It came in my "started kit" from Reed..... I'm using it, I'm just not sure if its really necessary....
Yes, I think it's necessary but I just used a cheap sponge from the Dollar Store for that task. Also you don't need to use RO/DI water (it's a waste of money IMO) just tap water will work, use something to neutralize the chlorine/chloramines and your good to go. Other than the water I pulled from the DT on hatch night I don't use RO/DI water at all in the larva or grow out tanks. These tanks are for raising young clownfish and not reef tanks. Also I use the cheaper IO Blue salt for making water for the rotifers and in the baby tanks. No need to use Reef Crystals, it's not necessary. Just some penny saving advice for you. Dad always told me "Take care of your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves".

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2012, 07:01 AM   #178
edandsandy
Registered Member

Thanks Sport,
I do use IO salt for my seahorses and baby tanks too, however I do use RO/DI water, we have horriable water here.

I noticed that the floss holds a lot of the RG Complete, do the rotifers hang out in the floss?

I like the way your Dad thinks!

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
Unread 09/03/2012, 02:32 PM   #179
AIMFish
Premium Member

Nice thread and great work!

AIMFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2012, 01:58 PM   #180
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIMFish View Post
Nice thread and great work!
Thank you, I am delivering some tomorrow to Premium Aquatics one of our RC Sponsors.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 10/01/2012, 05:30 AM   #181
fishbutt2
Registered Member

I will be going over this thread a lot. Plenty of useful info! thanks for the diligence with the videos too!

fishbutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2012, 07:41 PM   #182
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbutt2 View Post
I will be going over this thread a lot. Plenty of useful info! thanks for the diligence with the videos too!
Thank you for the kind comment. I don’t have an outlet to get ride of them so I won’t be rising anymore. Here are some (in the video) that I pulled out after the dozen local reefers came and pick theirs out and I did take 31 to one of our well known RC Sponors for store cerdit. I have probably a hundred left that are just coming into their color. They are only 5 months old.

If you have any questions fishbutt2 just ask, be glad to help.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 11/20/2012, 05:23 PM   #183
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

New Project.

I would like to thank all that viewed and posted in my thread. This will be what my next breeding thread is about. Give me about 3-4 months and I should have something to show.

By the way, I haven’t forgotten about my friend here I’ve just been so busy raising fish and corals my time is limited now. It is so nice to see people learning together.

Indiana INDMAS Member

Last edited by Sport507; 11/20/2012 at 05:43 PM.
Unread 11/20/2012, 09:19 PM   #184
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport507 View Post
Thank you for the kind comment. I don’t have an outlet to get ride of them so I won’t be rising anymore. Here are some (in the video) that I pulled out after the dozen local reefers came and pick theirs out and I did take 31 to one of our well known RC Sponors for store cerdit. I have probably a hundred left that are just coming into their color. They are only 5 months old.

If you have any questions fishbutt2 just ask, be glad to help.
Forgot to mention I have an outlet for all my clowns, one or our sponsor here in Indiana is buying them.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 12/20/2012, 10:32 AM   #185
indyjaco
Registered Member

Are you planning to breed anymore shortly or have any? I lost my female and would like to get the male a companion again.

SCA 120G RB 48 V2
indyjaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2012, 05:05 PM   #186
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjaco View Post
Are you planning to breed anymore shortly or have any? I lost my female and would like to get the male a companion again.
Yes I do but you will need to PM me with any further questions. This forum should stay on track for those wanting to learn breeding techniques.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 02/25/2013, 09:29 PM   #187
AliciaP
Registered Member

I have a question for you: When the ovipositor is seen (if that's what I am seeing) how long until they spawn?

I noticed it yesterday 2/24 and it's still there, but I cannot find any eggs. They are keeping other fish away at this point and cleaning a piece of rock a lot more than usual.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon BB saltwater tank
AliciaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2013, 07:46 PM   #188
AliciaP
Registered Member

Ovipositor has gone away and I can't find any eggs, so I'm not sure what has happened.

Unread 03/11/2013, 04:08 PM   #189
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaP View Post
I have a question for you: When the ovipositor is seen (if that's what I am seeing) how long until they spawn?

I noticed it yesterday 2/24 and it's still there, but I cannot find any eggs. They are keeping other fish away at this point and cleaning a piece of rock a lot more than usual.

Hello Alicia……..sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have been supper busy and haven’t been on for awhile.

In my breeding pairs I have only noticed it (the ovipositor) on the night of the spawn, but I don’t watch them often. I can walk in the door from work and at a glance tell by their behavior they are ready to spawn. They will be cleaning the spawning sight with an urgency and guard it at all cost.

Is this the first time you think they may have spawn?

Thanks for checking out my thread and I will try to check it more often.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 04/10/2013, 09:23 PM   #190
AliciaP
Registered Member

I thought it might be the first time, but like I said, I saw no evidence of eggs on the surface they were cleaning. The got so defensive of their 'home' that I'm pretty sure they killed off the Moorish Idol that had always slept with them. His body was found beneath them :\

At any rate, they spawned on 4/6 and pretty much ate the eggs as soon as they were laid. There were about 100 give or take when I checked that night with a flashlight. They have progressively lost more and more. Maybe the male doesn't know what he's doing yet.

Unread 04/11/2013, 03:48 PM   #191
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Hi Sport I am following along on this thread. Just simply amazed how many fry you get on hatch nights....
I have been having major troubles with my hatchings lately... But Sandy has been kind enough to help me along the way....
But I do have a few questions for you...
Rotifers--- I have been having the worst luck with them and do not know what the problem is...
How long do you let your rotifers culture to get that thick dense culture that you had in the fry tank?
What do you feed the rotifers?
I have been using the RotiGrow Plus/Cloram X is this my problem why my rotifers just arn't multipling?
I saw that you mentioned a 50 Micron seive is that better then the 52-53 Micron seive?
How many days do you feed the rotifers to the fry?
When is the first cleaning of the fry tank?
What is the next food that you start them on and how do you do it?
What food do you feed to the parents?

Sorry for so many questions but I am just finished batch #11 and as of this morning I only had 3 babies left so I do not know if there will be any left by the time I get home from work today... Mrs. Nemo just laid another batch yesterday Batch #12...
Hatch nights have only been like 15-20 fry to hatch per night - 2 split hatch nights and I think some hatch after I have gone to bed.

I am really starting to get severely depressed about this when I see others having no problems at all.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

mwilliams62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2013, 07:14 PM   #192
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Blackice Second Spawn

Quote:
I would like to thank all that viewed and posted in my thread. This will be what my next breeding thread is about. Give me about 3-4 months and I should have something to show.

By the way, I haven’t forgotten about my friend here I’ve just been so busy raising fish and corals my time is limited now. It is so nice to see people learning together.

Well, I was a few months off but hopefully, I will get time raise a clutch and be able to start a new thread.

If you look closely you will see them hanging off the top back of the pot. Tonight is hatch night.

Happy Holidays!

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/sp...Spawn.mp4.html

Indiana INDMAS Member

Last edited by Sport507; 12/15/2013 at 07:50 PM.
Unread 10/11/2014, 03:50 PM   #193
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Are the videos still playable on this thread? If not I will delete my Photobucket account.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 10/11/2014, 06:35 PM   #194
edandsandy
Registered Member

I can see them

Unread 10/12/2014, 01:01 PM   #195
Xtremeclownfish
Moved On

Quote:
No loses since day 4 then only 3, now headed for meta. Will clean the bottom of the tank one more time slow drip the replacement water back in. Nothing for me after that until the are past meta.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=sp5day5.mp4
What is that against the rear glass?

Xtremeclownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2014, 09:15 PM   #196
Ricks@reef
Registered Member

Sport, I just finished reading the 8 pages of posts. I found it very interesting and have made many notes on your experiences that will help me when I am finally ready to procede. Thank you.

Ricks@reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 08:22 AM   #197
drukkosz
Registered Member

Agreed lot of great videos and info. Thank you for posting and taking your time. Are you still breeding clowns?

drukkosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 04:35 PM   #198
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by drukkosz View Post
Agreed lot of great videos and info. Thank you for posting and taking your time. Are you still breeding clowns?
The Clowns are still breeding but I'm not raising them at the moment. I have a pair of spawning Blackice now that I getting rid of because I'm done raising clowns. Need a break from it.

Here is a video of them spawning last Tuesday, they should hatch tonight or tomorrow night.

Indiana INDMAS Member

Last edited by Sport507; 10/28/2014 at 05:09 PM.
Unread 10/28/2014, 06:11 PM   #199
ajdiver
Registered Member

I'm breeding my snowflakes at the moment and I'm looking for a few good breeding pairs of clowns. Once I get the hang of it I'm gonna be setting this up.
Great thread and info!

Unread 10/30/2014, 04:38 PM   #200
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Back of glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremeclownfish View Post
What is that against the rear glass?
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It is just black film paper, the larvae can see there food source better. There was a white wall behind that tank. Newly have larvae have poor eye sight when the first hatch.

Hope this helps.

Sport

Indiana INDMAS Member