Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2014, 05:27 PM   #601
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montireef View Post
Exactly.

No need to do in normal circumstances. It was a small sacrifice for the system just to get rid of the bad guys.

Just a few minutes to start a new year in my country...happy 2015 for everybody!!!
Good point...our systems are mimicking extraordinarily complex ecosystems, sometimes thinking outside the box is helpful. Happy New Year to all.

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 05:27 PM   #602
karimwassef
Registered Member

How do you know that your skimmate has an abundance of the good guys and not the most potent dinos that you've finally managed to export?

for example, you cough to export a combination of germs, protective mucus and white blood cells fighting an infection. Why would you "re-ingest" that to recover the good white blood cells?

The micro-organisms you're introducing came from the same tank. Why would the trip through the skimmer and their development in the skimmate help if the pleasant conditions inside the tank didn't?

It worked for you - but it may not be repeatable? I'll wait to see if it works for anyone else.

Happy New Year.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 06:08 PM   #603
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
How do you know that your skimmate has an abundance of the good guys and not the most potent dinos that you've finally managed to export?
Dinos are generally very delicate. If they thrive in a tank is just because they find no competitors. Hard to see a dinoflagellates bloom in a well established old systems, specially if it is not a low nutrient system.

There is a competition in the skimmate: only survive the strongest, normally ciliates, nematodes and some bacterial strains (never seen any dinoflagellate in my skimmate, pal)

Quote:
for example, you cough to export a combination of germs, protective mucus and white blood cells fighting an infection. Why would you "re-ingest" that to recover the good white blood cells?

The micro-organisms you're introducing came from the same tank. Why would the trip through the skimmer and their development in the skimmate help if the pleasant conditions inside the tank didn't?

It worked for you - but it may not be repeatable? I'll wait to see if it works for anyone else.

Happy New Year.
I'm not sure if you got the point, mate. Your example is not valid: maybe if you let that stuff mature for a week or two you would find only the strongest guys that will be able to outcompete and rid the rest. That is the point: natural selection and reintroduction to unbalance a dino-established system.

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 06:14 PM   #604
Montireef
Registered Member

Dinoflagellates are so delicate and easy to kill...it's only that in ideal conditions they reproduce very fast (both sexual and asexual) and can suffocate any system. Some of them are very toxic such as ostreopsis strains. The fact that they are usually mixotrophic makes it even more hard to do away.

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 02:34 PM   #605
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quick survey question to other victims (and former victims) -
Do you have a low live rock to water ratio?

I have about 45lbs of real LR to my 600gal. I consider that very low, but it's very light stuff and I made a lot of my own concrete stuff.

Unread 01/01/2015, 02:40 PM   #606
sansupt
Registered Member

Interesting that we have all been thowing away the cure all along, i would try it but being i run ozone i am not sure if it would be a good idea to dump my skimmate into my tank( it would probably take me a month to get 2 cups of skimmate due to ozone) , any thoughts on if ozone would have a impact on my skimmate breeding the appropriate ciliates to attack the dino's. If so i guss i may be trying to purchase some skimmmate.

sansupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 02:43 PM   #607
sansupt
Registered Member

Karim. I have about 100lbs of Florida aquacultured liverock in my 90 gal, and been fighting this for months , i now only have a few small spots on my liverock and never had any on my sandbed, but it was covering 75% of my liverock at one point.

Unread 01/01/2015, 03:23 PM   #608
karimwassef
Registered Member

Ok. Looking for a pattern.

How about this - anyone use bio balls or another kind of nitrate generating filtration?

I don't have any media.

Unread 01/01/2015, 03:43 PM   #609
Budman422
Registered Member

I have lots of live rock. My tank is also close to 20 years old. Don't use any filtration other than skimmer

Budman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 03:53 PM   #610
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montireef View Post
two kgs live rock and 2 litres skimmate

My thought was that the live rock brought in the little heroes and was ready to prove or disprove that skimmate alone had anything to do with it.
I've now added 1 liter of skimmate over two days without any visible results.

My bet is that the new live rock brought in the killers and the skimmate either assisted in their reproduction or has no effect.

---

A large chunk of my fellow local reefers have dinos.
We are on an small island in the far north with almost no import of live stock other than fish.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2015, 05:13 PM   #611
karimwassef
Registered Member

Ok. Here's my update. First, I see four different kinds of parasites that I believe are dinos and I am using peroxide and a uv sterilizer.

1. Marine velvet Amyloodinium (killed most of my large fish) - I think the sterilizer is helping here since the remaining fish have stopped scraping themselves on the rocks and are eating better.

2. Photosynthetic clear hair (air bubbles on the top of rocks) - I think the peroxide and UV are working well here. These are almost gone without any manual removal. The pods had an impact here too.

3. Dark non-photosynthetic hairy goop - no change almost. I think these need manual removal.

4. Thin hairs rising from the sand (look like a garden of sparse grass rising from the sand) - no change here either.

I think the UV and peroxide work for dinos that go through a free floating stage (at night maybe). The stuff that's in the shade or growing from the sand under rock shelves needs to be mechanically removed.

Unread 01/02/2015, 09:57 AM   #612
DNA
Registered Member

I have a 400g system
On day 1 the skimmate was 7 days old.

Day 1: 0,5 liters of skimmate added in the morning.
Day 2: 0,5 liters of skimmate added in the morning.
Day 3: 0,5 liters of skimmate added in the morning.
Day 3: 0,5 liters of skimmate added in the afternoon.

2 liters in all added over 3 days.
No reduction or increase was noticed in the dino population on the sandbed.

In the last round I emptied the cup right after adding the skimmate.
In less than an hour the skimmer had gathered around 0,5 liters of skimmate of similar transparency.

My results:
Skimmate alone does not help against Ostreopsis dinoflagellates.
If skimmers are really effective at removing an organism that prays on Ostreopsis, it's likely it can multiply in the skimmer cup so further tests are in order.
Right now I 'd like to see if this will work with added live rock.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2015, 11:36 AM   #613
karimwassef
Registered Member

DNA - how about a targeted approach to see if there is a local change?
Instead of pouring it in, how about choosing a particular rock and injecting the skimmate on a specific region and cutting back the flow for an hour.

I realize we're not very scientific, but this may demonstrate if there is any effect independent of dosing %?

My LFS recommended adding live bacteria. FritzZyme 9000 or StressZyme. I don't think it'll hurt but I think we need larger microorganisms not smaller? Maybe they outcompete for scarce nutrients more efficiently?

Unread 01/05/2015, 07:07 PM   #614
karimwassef
Registered Member

I think my low flow UV is working. I reduced my main return rate to 600gph and at least 50% (300gph) passes through the UV. I also overfed which allowed a little algae to start to form...

I added 20 snails to test.

Unread 01/06/2015, 10:00 AM   #615
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

that's good news...i have nothing new to report except i'm now seeing other algaes start to grow - gha and perhaps some diatoms on the sand - which is a much more welcome sight compared to dinos...same low flow through my UV...SPS are coloring up nicely and growing faster than they've ever grown...i'm not really seeing any detrimental effects to having such a gigantic UV sterilizer and low flow...sure i'm nuking my microfauna but if all my corals, fish, and inhabitants are thriving and i'm no longer seeing dino blooms then is it such a bad thing? (serious question, i don't know what repercussions there could be if i keep my bazooka uv sterilizer online)

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 10:06 AM   #616
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'm thinking the same thing. I think it's more natural to avoid the UV unless you consider the sun's constant zapping of the surface water on the reefs.

I'll keep it on until I think my tank is mature enough to wean it off the UV. Lots of coralline algae, low but controlled macroalgae, clean sand, etc...

Unread 01/06/2015, 08:30 PM   #617
garyinco
Registered Member

Just an FYI...

I did a battery of Algae X treatments, eight I think - I feel I might have lost count. So far the dinos look gone (subdued?) but I lost all my SPS (RRTN, or "really rapid tissue narcosis") and the LPS still don't look too happy. The tank was new so that wasn't a huge deal. I followed the dosing instructions to the letter. Fish seem OK. Soft corals are not ecstatic, but that may be related to the reduced light cycle. Beats completely tearing the tank down and starting over, if its not just a temporary thing which I'm half expecting.

garyinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 09:59 PM   #618
karimwassef
Registered Member

Have you tried a low flow UV or peroxide?

Unread 01/09/2015, 03:22 PM   #619
Royce7586
Registered Member

Ultra Algae X is working! Dinos stopped growing after first dose second dose they are for sure dieing.

Corals are affected but this is acceptable for me if the dinos die.

I will report back after some more doses

I should note contrary to garyincos experience my sps actually seem to be doing better after I started dosing with better polyp extension. My lps and gsp dont like it tho

Royce7586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2015, 03:36 PM   #620
sansupt
Registered Member

Royce, that's good to hear. I am waiting for my algae x hopefully it works, it should be here next week. Royce are you doing any lights out treatment also, I will be doing 3 to 5 days no lights when I start the algae x. I will post my results as it goes.

Unread 01/09/2015, 03:41 PM   #621
Royce7586
Registered Member

No I didnt reduced my photo period according to algae x instruction and removed all carbon and other such media but other then that nothing different then normal

Unread 01/12/2015, 07:25 AM   #622
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Put two different rock scrapings under the microscope last night. No dinos, live or dead. Every previous sample has had 10-20 of each.

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 08:45 AM   #623
karimwassef
Registered Member

What was your ultimate solution? 55W UV and blackout?

Unread 01/12/2015, 08:48 AM   #624
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
What was your ultimate solution? 55W UV and blackout?
I don't necessarily associate either as being the 'solution', but adding the UV sterilizer with ~360-400GPH flow, doing 3-day blackouts every other week (so be lit SMTWThFSaS and then unlit MTW, then lit ThFSaSMTWThFSaS and then unlit, etc) with a couple of them being 5-day blackouts, and I also removed my sandbed and began skimming again all within the past couple of months.

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2015, 09:58 AM   #625
Royce7586
Registered Member

ya i think removing the sand bed has a big impact on them. Last time I had dinos that's what fixed mine.

The 55w uv seems to be pretty effective but what else are we killing along with the uv? Does it kill off pods as well?