Reef Central Online Community
Marine Depot

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 12/06/2016, 12:20 PM   #301
reefmutt
Registered Member
 
reefmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mtl. Canada
Posts: 7,812
cool! Looks like the arms of a basket starfish.


__________________
Matt.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2016, 12:27 PM   #302
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
cool! Looks like the arms of a basket starfish.
I didn't even think of that but it does! Sweet!


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2016, 08:35 PM   #303
ReeferDash
Registered Member
 
ReeferDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTy View Post
Glass + acro =


That's amazing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


ReeferDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2016, 09:34 PM   #304
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
One of my favorites in the tank... Blue lemonade.




FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2016, 09:38 PM   #305
Chopper65
Registered Member
 
Chopper65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 60
Where do they come up with the names for these?
Beautiful pictures as usual TY


Chopper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2016, 09:55 PM   #306
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper65 View Post
Where do they come up with the names for these?
Beautiful pictures as usual TY
Adjective randomizer on the internet.


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 07:54 AM   #307
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Frags Farmers Red Robin Stag showing some gorgeous color and white polyps lately.


Abrotainoides encrusting and coloring up. I can see a dark red all along the tip and hopefully it starts to develop the green base as well.


Frag pack I'm sending to NY.


1st frag batch for local who's buying 1 of everything in the tank.





FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 08:14 AM   #308
markalot
...
 
markalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 3,796
Blog Entries: 3
Ahh, another red robin. Good luck, will be interesting to see how it progresses in this tank. When all is right with mine the coralites get blood red, otherwise it's a nice brown red with a strange greenish and dark grey base.


__________________
-- Mark
150G (72x18x27) | 35G sump | SRO-XP2000INT Skimmer | ATI SunPower T5 / NanoBox LED hybrid 60" x 4 + 8 NanoBox v3.1 arrays
markalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 08:17 AM   #309
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Ahh, another red robin. Good luck, will be interesting to see how it progresses in this tank. When all is right with mine the coralites get blood red, otherwise it's a nice brown red with a strange greenish and dark grey base.
Yeah, I've always casted it aside for more exciting corals in my opinion but I gave it some good real estate towards the front of the tank and its been pleading its case to stay there.

Oddly, lower light (150-200par) and lots of flow has been treating it well. Hopefully I'll get those blood red coralites you are talking about. I was just surprised to see white polyps.


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 08:41 AM   #310
markalot
...
 
markalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 3,796
Blog Entries: 3
Mine is sitting around 400 PAR in high flow. This was close to the best I've been able to get so far, with the end polyps white.



After a few days of glory it faded back to more of a rust. If only they could talk I wouldn't have to guess.


__________________
-- Mark
150G (72x18x27) | 35G sump | SRO-XP2000INT Skimmer | ATI SunPower T5 / NanoBox LED hybrid 60" x 4 + 8 NanoBox v3.1 arrays
markalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 08:49 AM   #311
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Mine is sitting around 400 PAR in high flow. This was close to the best I've been able to get so far, with the end polyps white.



After a few days of glory it faded back to more of a rust. If only they could talk I wouldn't have to guess.
Its purdy!

Maybe I'll try a piece at 400 par and see how it colors up.

What's the one to the right of it? Kind of looks like my blue lemonade I have in the tank. It looks awesome!


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 08:56 AM   #312
markalot
...
 
markalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 3,796
Blog Entries: 3
I nicked named that Katropora a few years back because I got it from a lady in New York who calls herself MetroKat. We believe it was a wild caught from Divers Den and it's probably a subulata but not 100% sure. It loves high nitrates and the tips will get a bright purple at 10+. Now that I run lower nitrates it's been rather dull compared to the last time my tank looked good.


__________________
-- Mark
150G (72x18x27) | 35G sump | SRO-XP2000INT Skimmer | ATI SunPower T5 / NanoBox LED hybrid 60" x 4 + 8 NanoBox v3.1 arrays
markalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 09:00 AM   #313
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
I think if I take a top down of my blue lemonade, it looks very similar, well, at least the colors do.


Why are you lowering your nitrates? I always found best colors at around 5-10 ppm of nitrates.


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 09:09 AM   #314
markalot
...
 
markalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 3,796
Blog Entries: 3
I bet that is the same, or something very close.

Above 10 nitrates I had a lot of trouble keeping reds, though it may have been elevated PO4 as well. This go around I've been having fantastic luck with reds but lacking on most purple highlights. I didn't really intend to run nitrates very low but after 6 months of running Seachem Matrix in a reactor they dropped and stayed low. I do dose CaNO3 every once in a while and right ow they are at 5 but I'm not sure if that's due to dosing or more feeding or the reactor getting dirty. If I can achieve 10 I will to see if I can also keep the reds.


__________________
-- Mark
150G (72x18x27) | 35G sump | SRO-XP2000INT Skimmer | ATI SunPower T5 / NanoBox LED hybrid 60" x 4 + 8 NanoBox v3.1 arrays
markalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 09:20 AM   #315
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
I bet that is the same, or something very close.

Above 10 nitrates I had a lot of trouble keeping reds, though it may have been elevated PO4 as well. This go around I've been having fantastic luck with reds but lacking on most purple highlights. I didn't really intend to run nitrates very low but after 6 months of running Seachem Matrix in a reactor they dropped and stayed low. I do dose CaNO3 every once in a while and right ow they are at 5 but I'm not sure if that's due to dosing or more feeding or the reactor getting dirty. If I can achieve 10 I will to see if I can also keep the reds.
Yeah, my phosphates stay super low while I keep my nitrates at 5ppm. I'd almost guess that it was the phosphates that was the culprit when yours was lacking in color but that's just a guess.

When I went fallow, I dosed potassium nitrate to maintain my nitrates. Interestingly, when I returned the fish to the system and stopped dosing, the nitrates stayed the same but the color got 5x better!


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 09:33 AM   #316
reefmutt
Registered Member
 
reefmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mtl. Canada
Posts: 7,812
I wish I could get a frag pack from you!
.. I also wish my nitrates would come down from around 30ppm and p would come down below .15..


__________________
Matt.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 09:46 AM   #317
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
I wish I could get a frag pack from you!
.. I also wish my nitrates would come down from around 30ppm and p would come down below .15..
Boo! Why the higher nutrients? Changing some stuff around in the tank?


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 10:33 AM   #318
reefmutt
Registered Member
 
reefmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mtl. Canada
Posts: 7,812
No..p has always been practically uncontrollable for me and N has gone through the roof since everything stopped growing in my tank..
Also, cheato no longer grows in my system. Just stagnates and gets eaten by my urchins. Actually, come to think about it.. that could be adding to my nutrients...


__________________
Matt.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 10:35 AM   #319
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
No..p has always been practically uncontrollable for me and N has gone through the roof since everything stopped growing in my tank..
Also, cheato no longer grows in my system. Just stagnates and gets eaten by my urchins. Actually, come to think about it.. that could be adding to my nutrients...
What are you running besides chaeto for nutrient control? Water change schedule?


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 11:20 AM   #320
reefmutt
Registered Member
 
reefmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mtl. Canada
Posts: 7,812
10% wc per week.
Big skimmer
12 liters Seachem matrix in 3 baskets. Maybe i need better flow.
Smallish dsb
Cheato- which won't grow..
I think most of it is just that the corals aren't pulling as much as before. When they were growing like mad..


__________________
Matt.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 11:50 AM   #321
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
10% wc per week.
Big skimmer
12 liters Seachem matrix in 3 baskets. Maybe i need better flow.
Smallish dsb
Cheato- which won't grow..
I think most of it is just that the corals aren't pulling as much as before. When they were growing like mad..
Any thought to ditch the chaeto and go with some GFO in a reactor for phosphates? You can increase water change percentage to lower nitrates as well.


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 12:40 PM   #322
reefmutt
Registered Member
 
reefmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mtl. Canada
Posts: 7,812
Forgot.. I use gfo constantly as well..
My reservoir only holds 10% of my system volume. I don't have the time or energy to do more than 1 wc a week..
I'm not too concerned. They'll come down one way or another.
I like the natural approach with cheato. I might try some iron dosing.
Thanks, Ty!


__________________
Matt.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 01:12 PM   #323
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Forgot.. I use gfo constantly as well..
My reservoir only holds 10% of my system volume. I don't have the time or energy to do more than 1 wc a week..
I'm not too concerned. They'll come down one way or another.
I like the natural approach with cheato. I might try some iron dosing.
Thanks, Ty!
No problem! You should just do the no water change system like me. I'm the king of lazy.


FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 01:17 PM   #324
reefmutt
Registered Member
 
reefmutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mtl. Canada
Posts: 7,812
Ha! Been there. That's usually what happens to me when things are humming along. When I'm limping through a screw up, I get a bit more diligent.


__________________
Matt.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2016, 10:31 PM   #325
FarmerTy
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 870
Top-down look of the abrotainoides. Can say its settling in nicely.




FarmerTy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.