Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2017, 04:25 PM   #251
barrysalt
Registered Member

need to swap some sharks!

Alpro--I manage a small public aquarium, have a 5,000 gal shark tank with following:
2 Black tip sharks, about 3 ft long
1 grey smoothhound
1 bamboo shark
4 horn sharks

All animals are very healthy, but frankly, getting too large for the tank! I'd love to swap one or more for other compatible sharks either younger or just smaller so that all have plenty of space. Tank length is 20' x 4' deep x 6' front to back.
We are located in NE Ohio, but shipping these guys could be problematic for us, since we don't have necessary containers, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks...Barry

Current Tank Info: mngr of 3 tanks, 8,000 gals total
barrysalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 01:39 AM   #252
socalireefdood
Registered Member

I catch leopard sharks in all sizes ALL the time always wanted to set up a tank for them hahah

socalireefdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 04:51 PM   #253
Jsuki
Registered Member

great info tahnks for posting this

Jsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 01:16 PM   #254
krj-1168
Registered Member

At 5,000 gallons - for that tank, I am assuming that you are also include the filtration system.

Still the Black tip sharks(I am also assuming these are BTRs) will definitely need a much larger tank. Honestly I would go with a pond or tank which is at least 15,000-20,000 gallons for them.

The Grey Smoothound, horns and bamboo would likely be fine in the current tank.

Unread 03/18/2020, 03:28 AM   #255
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Australin marbled catsharks can be yours!

2 beautiful Australian marbled catsharks (Atelomycterus Macleayi) for sale in Miami Florida. Pick up only please. Atelomycterus Macleayi is a great shark that grows to maximum 24 inches so perfect for home aquarium of at least 6’. Currently they are approaching 12 inches and I’ve had them since they were originally 7 inches. Very hardy and love to eat silversides. You;lol really enjoy these specimens. 135/ea or 2 for 250. ( one of these days I’ll learn how to post pics on this site)...but they are really nice and very healthy!

Remember the three f's -family,friends and fish!

Current Tank Info: 625g (water volume) custom semi reef w/166g refugium/sump.
flamehawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2020, 06:56 PM   #256
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehawk2 View Post
2 beautiful Australian marbled catsharks (Atelomycterus Macleayi) for sale in Miami Florida. Pick up only please. Atelomycterus Macleayi is a great shark that grows to maximum 24 inches so perfect for home aquarium of at least 6’. Currently they are approaching 12 inches and I’ve had them since they were originally 7 inches. Very hardy and love to eat silversides. You;lol really enjoy these specimens. 135/ea or 2 for 250. ( one of these days I’ll learn how to post pics on this site)...but they are really nice and very healthy!

Interested. Sent pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2020, 04:59 AM   #257
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Pslreefer- if still interested pls email at coachp11@hotmail.com thx

Remember the three f's -family,friends and fish!

Current Tank Info: 625g (water volume) custom semi reef w/166g refugium/sump.
flamehawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2021, 05:50 PM   #258
krj-1168
Registered Member

Just to let everyone know Australian marble catsharks (Atelomycterus macleayi) are a bit rarer here in the US than the Coral catsharks are.

Unread 02/25/2021, 04:19 PM   #259
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I purchased a baby Nurse shark from my LFS back in the early 90s and housed it in a long 40 gal tank with an underground filter( LOL) and at first it was so cool at only 6" long but you are so right... it ate me out of house & home feeding mainly on sea food i would buy at the grocers like frozen whole squid, clams, shrimp, list never ended, AND the thing got so big it sat curled up in the tank and could barely move! This was before live rock was the thing so luckily it could still wiggle about.
And keeping the water clean was a nightmare after feedings!
I was shocked on just how fast it grew..............1 yr and oh my. The best part of this shark story is that i gave it to a guy who at that time convinced the Chicago Shed aquarium to take it since it was so healthy. Today that would not happen. Probably the worst purchase mistake i ever made but it was probably the most fun one.
That was a great write up on what is involved in keeping a shark, brought back memorys

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank

Last edited by Oldreeferman; 02/25/2021 at 04:37 PM.
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catshark, elasmobranch, shark