Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2019, 08:51 AM   #1
syngraves
Registered Member

Fast cycle?

Got my 10g nano tank up and running two weeks ago. once the water cleared up after the first 24hrs I added a chunk of raw shrimp to start the cycle. Ammonia jumped to 1ppm, I removed the shrimp and started daily testing every day after work.

The ammonia stayed high for about a week then slowly dropped as I saw nitrite raise to .20 but it never spiked like I assumed it would. Nitrite stayed there for about 2 days as ammonia dropped to zero.

As of yesterday, ammonia- 0, nitrite- 0, nitrate- 10ppm. Also have had a diatom bloom which I noticed on day 10.

Is it safe to say my cycle is done and I can start adding some CUC snails? I was expecting this to take a lot longer to be honest which is why I'm here for advice lol

Thanks

syngraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 08:55 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The tank has cycled and you can slowly start adding things..

Did you use "live rock" or "dry rock"? and if live was it sourced locally or shipped to you?
Its certainly possible for a tank to cycle in that time.. It just may not be able to take a large increase in bioload without some consequences..

Unread 01/23/2019, 09:36 AM   #3
syngraves
Registered Member

Live sand and dry rock with a small half pound piece of live rock from a friends reef tank to help seed my tank.

Cool deal. I'll keep testing over the next few days and probably add a couple of snails this weekend.

syngraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 10:24 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syngraves View Post
Live sand and dry rock with a small half pound piece of live rock from a friends reef tank to help seed my tank.

Cool deal. I'll keep testing over the next few days and probably add a couple of snails this weekend.
The piece of live rock from a friends tank is what allowed the quicker than normal cycle.. Had you not done that you can typically expect around 4-6 weeks to fully cycle a tank from dry rock..

Unread 01/23/2019, 06:51 PM   #5
spudrucker114
Registered Member

Good already live rock will speed things up. That is the only way I start tanks now. As i have very little patience. Lol

spudrucker114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The piece of live rock from a friends tank is what allowed the quicker than normal cycle.. Had you not done that you can typically expect around 4-6 weeks to fully cycle a tank from dry rock..
Hi, yes to cycle a tank with bacteria only takes 4 to 6 weeks, but if you would like to have a very stable system with a lot of biodiversity, I would wait a minimum of 8 months or so, and that is using a very high quality Live Rock and Sand, which are both uncured fresh from the Ocean.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2019, 08:18 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chromis View Post
Hi, yes to cycle a tank with bacteria only takes 4 to 6 weeks, but if you would like to have a very stable system with a lot of biodiversity, I would wait a minimum of 8 months or so, and that is using a very high quality Live Rock and Sand, which are both uncured fresh from the Ocean.
Yes basically any system will be fairly "mature" by the 8-12 month mark..
No need to wait that long to start stocking but after that time the tank typically gets much easier to maintain..
It seems to take about that long to get the denitrifying bacterial colonies well established.. Nitrifying bacteria seems to get established much quicker..

Unread 01/28/2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Sethdarkus
Registered Member

I cycled my nano with 20lbs of base rock, 1 small live rock from Petco i slightly regret due to the hydroid issue, kept tank fishless for 2 months to ensure ick parasites were non existent. Other things I started with was Nutri seawater which contains natural ocean bacteria along with 20lbs of cribsea direct live sand. I actually used rotifers, tisbe pods and phytoplankton for a month and a half of my cycling with adding some omega one mini pellets for ammonia spikes. My tank cycled extremely fast, within a month I added 2 hermits and a emerald crab than another month a blood red fire shrimp followed by 2 more hermits along with 2 snails and later a Falco Hawkfish a month later than another month 2 clowns. Cheato and dragons breath helps along with my unconventional use of a submersible turtle filter intended for up to 30 gallons that I can add carbon to and it serves as a wave maker kinda. My hang on back refugium I add some media to but prefer my cheato and dragon breath to take care of the rest.

Sethdarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2019, 08:38 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

For all wanting to speed things along---there are things that help, yes, but remember that as you've just cycled, you're just barely in possession of enough bacteria to take care of a little bit; as the tank gets 'lived in,' its system gets stronger (if well-cared-for) and it becomes more able to handle unexpected problems. Translated: start slow and keep testing. Don't overrun your system.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote