Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2009, 04:03 PM   #76
mariusz621
Registered Member

Some latest additions...

I hope you like them

mariusz621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2009, 04:56 PM   #77
str1988
Registered Member

super nice tank! Good Work!

str1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2009, 11:17 PM   #78
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Like the Rhizotrochus specimens. I have one, under an overhang in my mixed reef. Seems easy to keep and eats when the fish do. Do you have any Denrophylia in there. What do you feed the Rhizos, btw?

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 12:22 AM   #79
slcw
Registered Member

good lord....you have a very stunning tank....

slcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 01:49 AM   #80
cartoonbear
Registered Member

This is a very unique and special tank. Great job!

Current Tank Info: 125g Reef w/ T5 HOs, 50Gallon being built!
cartoonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 04:01 AM   #81
dendro982
Registered Member

Perfection! Great advancement in keeping these corals.
Thank you for posting detailed information how to keep water clean with such huge feedings, unlike Daniela Sttteler's tank.
Are you still using ozone or UV?

When you will find everything you wanted (tube anemones and corals), and you will have nothing else to do, maybe you will set a small nano tank with the same coral and see how common filtration will work, without denitrator. Is it possible at all, or a monster skimmer, commercial denitrator, ozone, enzymes are absolutely necessary. You know, find the lowest common denominator for this type of aquariums, available and affordable for almost everyone. Without wavemaker and controllers, naturally. 39L or even less, pico tank 7L-18L. With skimmer not higher than Tunze Nano Doc (smallest) or Remora Nano. Preferably in the class of hang on the back of the tank Rio Nano Skimmer or alike.

You are creating history, do you know that?
(no worship icon here, alas).

dendro982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 09:38 AM   #82
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Looks fantastic mariusz621!

I followed your build on Ultimate R**f when you were attempting Dendronepthya sp. and different gorgonian sp., this is the same tank, right?

I'm in the midst of building a tank for my two favorite families of coral, Flabellidae and Dendrophylliidae... (click the ^^ red house ^^ to see my build)

I'm curious, how long have you had your blue Linkia stars for?

Again, tank looks great!

PS, here's a few of my Rhizos awaiting thier new home

(pic taken by my good friend Junior)

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.

Last edited by stunreefer; 05/08/2009 at 09:46 AM.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 11:02 AM   #83
rendogg
Registered Member

Your tank is a visual feast!

rendogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 11:34 AM   #84
oxymoron
Premium Member

Amazing, love the new Rhizos

oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2009, 11:37 AM   #85
RobbyVonAwesome
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mariusz621
I feed the tank daily with 10 cubes of frozen mysis and 30 cubes of brine. There are 9 Rhizos which get a small piece of lance fish each twice a week...
Holy cow, that's a lot of food.

RobbyVonAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 03:58 AM   #86
mariusz621
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmz
Like the Rhizotrochus specimens. I have one, under an overhang in my mixed reef. Seems easy to keep and eats when the fish do. Do you have any Denrophylia in there. What do you feed the Rhizos, btw?
Rhizos as very easy to look after. They are fed daily with the same mix of brine and mysis sun corals get. Also I give them small pieces of silverside twice a week.
I do have a few dendros there, but they are not that easy to get here...

Thank you.

Unread 05/12/2009, 04:05 AM   #87
InsaneClownFish
Registered Member

Fantastic tank! It's nice to see another species tank.

8 Foot Envisions
InsaneClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 04:23 AM   #88
mariusz621
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dendro982
Perfection! Great advancement in keeping these corals.
Thank you for posting detailed information how to keep water clean with such huge feedings, unlike Daniela Sttteler's tank.
Are you still using ozone or UV?

When you will find everything you wanted (tube anemones and corals), and you will have nothing else to do, maybe you will set a small nano tank with the same coral and see how common filtration will work, without denitrator. Is it possible at all, or a monster skimmer, commercial denitrator, ozone, enzymes are absolutely necessary. You know, find the lowest common denominator for this type of aquariums, available and affordable for almost everyone. Without wavemaker and controllers, naturally. 39L or even less, pico tank 7L-18L. With skimmer not higher than Tunze Nano Doc (smallest) or Remora Nano. Preferably in the class of hang on the back of the tank Rio Nano Skimmer or alike.

You are creating history, do you know that?
(no worship icon here, alas).
Hi Dendo,
It's nice to catch up with you here :-)
I still consider the equipment to be basic on this tank. The skimmer is not over the top, the denitrator is also quite small. I have stopped using ozone, and there is no uv. I don't think the wave box or vertech are a must here. I got them before when I was trying to sustain nps soft corals. They do however help to keep live rock free of debris.
I usually chenge 15% of water twice a month now. However I went away in April and there was no water change done that month. This may not be a big deal for a short period, but with time I can the tank would be in trouble.
I am getting small 25l tank and I may try to do something interesting there. It can all work well without the equipment, but with large water changes. All you have to decide is what's more convenient- lot's of gadgets with less water change or simple set up with larger water changes.

Many thanks for your comments. I will keep this updated

Unread 05/12/2009, 04:32 AM   #89
mariusz621
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stunreefer
Looks fantastic mariusz621!

I followed your build on Ultimate R**f when you were attempting Dendronepthya sp. and different gorgonian sp., this is the same tank, right?

I'm in the midst of building a tank for my two favorite families of coral, Flabellidae and Dendrophylliidae... (click the ^^ red house ^^ to see my build)

I'm curious, how long have you had your blue Linkia stars for?

Again, tank looks great!

Thanks Austin,
It is the same tank. It sort of developed into sun coral display. I really liked the dendronepthya set up, but it was very hard to keep them happy. There was a lot of food dosed 24/7 with little effect on corals. I think I was not able to crack what was missing in the food mix, or maybe the flow was not right, or maybe the density of food in water column was too big. Then I went away and left the feeding regime to a friend of mine which was not a clever idea...

I will have a look at your build after work as I can not visit your site now :-(

The star fish lives in the tank for around 7 months now. Most of the time is hidden and I can only see it once a week if I am lucky...

Your rhizos look stunning. I am looking forward to see your build :-)

Thanks

Unread 05/12/2009, 01:24 PM   #90
Neptangelo
Moved On

If the swine flu could travel by way of virtual *** kissing the world would be doomed fore sure and it would all be you and your sun corals fault.

Neptangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 06:40 PM   #91
Macimage
Registered Member

Beautiful tank!

Joyce

Macimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 07:37 PM   #92
Neptangelo
Moved On

What type of filter do you use for your change water? This has gone on so long I can't find if you have already answered that one or not.

Unread 05/12/2009, 08:27 PM   #93
possys
Registered Member

what's brand name of the lighting. it is very slim.

possys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 09:06 PM   #94
blackthunda77
Registered Member

foarte frumos.

*blackthunda stands for a black Mistubishi 3000GT with black rims I used to own. Don't get any funny ideas!

Current Tank Info: 200 Gal custom tank with dual corner overflows, 80 gal custom sump/refugium, Neptune Apex controller, Dual Lumenmax Elite reflectors with 250 Radiums, SWC 160 Cone Skimmer, 2x Jebao WP-25....and some other stuff.
blackthunda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 09:20 PM   #95
Fish4Me2
Registered Member

To echo what others have said, amazing tank. I love your colors!

Fish4Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 11:39 PM   #96
melev
Moved On

Beautiful tank. Thanks for sharing it with us here.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2009, 08:01 AM   #97
dendro982
Registered Member

Thanks!
Quote:
It can all work well without the equipment, but with large water changes.
With no intention to contradict, the theory says so, but practice not always follow that. If you try that (or have links to those, who tried), I would like to know the result and learn from it.

In my humble experience, to work it should be twice a week very large water changes. So large, that in a long run at least half of this water should be taken from another, established tank, will it be display, self-sufficient back-up or refugium. And with twice a week water changes I lasted only for 4-5 months, real life outside aquariumistics requires attention too

Quote:
All you have to decide is what's more convenient- lot's of gadgets with less water change or simple set up with larger water changes.
Again, don't take this as an objection, there is reasonable limit (or affordability, in terms of time and budget) for both: amount of work (with water spills, cost of salt and carrying salt) and budget for a gadgets. It would be good to know the absolute threshold before taking a leap in this at all.
Based on my 3 yrs of experience, it's too much for me to bear with. A black hole in a timetable and a budget. If only I knew that beforehand

I hope you understand that I'm looking not to become involved in theoretical dispute, but to see the real life solutions that worked well for others :respect:

Cheers.

Unread 05/13/2009, 10:56 AM   #98
docalatamu
Moved On

wow, an amazing tank for sure

why do euro's always have a leg up on us yanks in this hobby?

docalatamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2009, 04:53 AM   #99
dendro982
Registered Member

docalatamu: Don't poach euros, in addition to what is listed in your occupation
Let's show support and appreciation to the fellow forum member, on the other side of the pond or not

This is the rare case when one is sharing all details for the sake of better understanding of these systems and even more rare - answering the questions. It not his fault that yanks, working in the same area, don't (check Dendronephthya study group thread and Non-Photosynthetic Corals Forum).

Sorry, Marius, I had to.

Unread 05/14/2009, 06:28 AM   #100
Neptangelo
Moved On

docalatamu might punch that dendro982 kid in the weiner if he ever sees him.