Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2012, 06:32 PM   #26
McLoki
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjero View Post
I read strips is the way to go since they suck the whole thing like a spaghetti and the waste is greatly reduced. How do you feed it though? Do you still clip the strips or just dump it on the surface?
I fold a sheet in half width wise and cut it (so I have 2 long sheets the same width.)

Then I fold that in half (lenghwise) and put the fold in the nori clip. (now it looks like there are 4 - equal width pieces sticking out of the nori clip about the same width as the nori clip.)

Then I hold the 4 sheets together (so it looks like one sheet) and cut them from the end down towards the clip. I keep doing this until I have a bunch of strips. (if any strips come off or apart - just stick them in the clip)

Now just put it all in the tank and let them go to town....

McLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 07:39 AM   #27
rhdoug
Registered Member

I made 2 "pouches" out of clear plastic netting, the kind used to make light-friendly tops to prevent fish suicides. In fact I made with them 2 layers so the fish (scopas tang and starry blenny - they are best buddies) would need to work at it longer and get out smaller pieces, preventing large chunks from floating around. I just use a small cleaning magnet to hold it against the glass. Works great and I only get my fingertips wet, plus I can move it from place to place even with the food in it.

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 08:21 AM   #28
crobattt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreeive?fish View Post
i keep nori in tank 24/7/365 except for leap year then its 24/7/366 on multiple "nori clips"for tangs/angels/foxface and anything else that wants a bite
This.. good food and keeps em fat and healthy.

Phil 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
crobattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 10:43 AM   #29
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Here's something interesting...

Nitrogenous waste comes mainly from the breakdown of protein. I'm assuming foods like mysis are higher in protein than nori. So feeding the same amount of food but swapping out some meaty foods with nori could help keep nitrates down. This is why you can put whole sheets of nori in the tank and it pollutes less than dumping whole sheets of mysis in your tank.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 08:02 PM   #30
nonimmigrant
Registered Member

Four sheets 2x day.

nonimmigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2012, 08:16 PM   #31
windyridge
Fish Mother

My Tomini Tang loved nori at first and then stopped eating it. Fortunately I have seaweeds in my home made frozen food mix.

92G Mixed reef, SCA-302 skimmer, 15g sump w/fuge & Eheim Compact Plus @650 gph, AI Sol Blue, Koralia 750 &Tunze Nanostream 6025, Apex Jr,Tomini, 6-Line, Brittle star, damsels, Gramma, RBTA/clown, PJ c

Current Tank Info: 92G Corner Bowfront Mixed Reef
windyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2012, 06:25 AM   #32
elegance coral
They call me EC

Thanks for all the responses.

I have taken some of the tips from this thread, and I'm amazed at the results. I added a second algae clip, and started cutting the nori in strips like McLoki pictured. I add one third of a sheet to each clip, twice a day, so that's one and a third sheets split between two, 3" to 3.5" tangs every day. That's at least double what I was feeding. It's only been a little over a week, but I swear there's a noticeable difference in the amount of meat on these tangs. They weren't anorexic to begin with, but they're looking so much better. I can't wait to see them in six months.

My tangs thank you
EC

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 11:31 AM   #33
Williams27
Registered Member

After reading this i feel like I'm not feeding mine enough. could be part of the reason they are aggressive. For those having trouble with Nori floating around your tank id suggest trying the innovative marine gourmet grazer. works great so that that fish are only tearing out a mouthful at a time and i don't notice any waste floating around my tank. old thread but o well.

Williams27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:01 PM   #34
OrionN
Moved on

Old thread------

I had 4 tangs (Chevron 6 inches, Purple 5 inches, Yellow 4.5 inches, Powder Blue 5 inches), three Regal angles (2-3 inches), and a Fox Face (6 inches). I feed them 1.5 of the 10X10 inches sheets. I put them on clips suspended from top, to keep my abalones, snails and sea urchins from eating them.
My tangs start at about 7:30 AM and wold finish all the Nori by about 3 PM or so. I also feed frozen Mysis (1/2 cubic inch) and flake food (heaping teaspoon) in AM and flake food in PM.
My tangs (RIP) are as fat and healthy as they can be.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:45 PM   #35
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

Two tangs. A 4.5-5 inch purple and a 4 inch Gold Rim. I feed a half sheet a day split between two clips (the purple is a pig). If I don't split it up the more shy Gold Rim has a tough time getting any with the purple and about 8 wrasses that also eat nori.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 09:46 PM   #36
Rilelen
Registered Member

Old thread, but always popular question.

One kole tang and one foxface...they'll tear through a whole sheet in a half day. I usually feed about a quarter sheet (folded) on days that I remember and have time in the mornings to clip it to the nori clip (let's call it 3-4 days a week). I'll feed a half or whole sheet if I go a couple days without feeding nori.

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 03:12 AM   #37
McPuff
Registered Member

Wow, now I also believe that I don't feed enough nori!

I have a foxface, scopus tang, naso tang, pyroferus tang, and lieutenant tang (other fish eat the nori too). I feed about 1/2 sheet, folded and stripped in a clip but only about every other day or less. I mainly feed LRS herbivore frenzy which has quite a lot of veggie matter in it. I also throw in rocks that are covered in turf algae (from the refugium) and this is a nice treat for them to graze over the course of a day or so (depending).

Normally the nori gets consumed within minutes. Because the naso and the pyroferus seem to prefer the nori more than most other foods, I think I will increase the amount I feed. None of the tangs are skinny (the Lt is super fat!), but the pyroferus and naso could put on some weight. Decision made. Glad I found this thread.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 03:37 AM   #38
johnike
Moved On

9 Tangs, 1 full sheet every day.
Purple x2, Yellow x2, Chevron, Tomini, Convict, Hippo, and Desjardini Sailfin.

No clip.
Also, a huge Koran Angel that LOVES nori.

Last edited by johnike; 09/21/2017 at 05:01 AM.
johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 08:52 AM   #39
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

4x8 sheet 5 times per week; NE grazer ring once a week. Then lots of frozen. Five tangs, all in the 5-6" range.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 06:27 AM   #40
SAT
Registered Member

As part of my morning ritual, I pull out a 4x4 sheet of "sea veggies", alternating green and purple, wet it under the tap and then hand it to my tang. It lasts about 2 seconds... he takes it whole.

I have a 11" Atlantic blue (total length). We call him Big Blue. My avatar is a shot of him from 2012.

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 01:42 PM   #41
JoeMomma
Registered Member

I feed a full sheet a day but I feel like its not enough because its gone in about an hour.

I have a purple tang, blue hippo tank, magnificent foxface, flame angel, coral beauty angel, blue throat trigger.

I'll try adding a second sheet per day to see what happens.

JoeMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 10:04 AM   #42
ReefinND
Registered Member

Starting to wonder if I've been neglecting my Kole tang a bit..... I haven't fed any nori for months now, I figured that the frozen food I've been feeding them would be enough.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...94&pcatid=3694

I'll start putting a sheet of it in there again, see how fast it's consumed.

ReefinND is offline   Reply With Quote