Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2017, 02:31 PM   #26
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Fish acting like they are starving ..... and actually starving are two very different things. They always ACT like they're starving, the key is not to fall for it.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 02:57 PM   #27
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

Considering how much I overfeed, it would be hard for a tank sitter to do worse.
I bet my tank would survive a 2 week vacation without feeding.
My pigs have reached the point of actually flipping water out of the tank if I walk by with out giving them a treat. So now I have to clean salt runners from my tanks' sides regularly.

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 06:47 AM   #28
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Fish acting like they are starving ..... and actually starving are two very different things. They always ACT like they're starving, the key is not to fall for it.
eh, yeah i get that. i wouldn't want to leave my fish that long. i don't think my CBB would fare very well for that long without food, and i know for sure that my filefish would be in dire straights if they went 5, let alone 10, days without food. if they don't eat for 24 - 48 hours you can already noticed them getting thinner.

neither of those fish do a good job of packing on fat reserves.

my anthias and clownfish, i'd be much less worried about. sometimes i question if you have to feed clownfish at all, or if they're sustained simply from water and the passage of time.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 02:15 PM   #29
Papermonkeys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilelen View Post
That's the one - the Eheim "Feed-Air" digital automatic feeder. I think I have four or five of them at this point, between my home and office tanks.
+1 for the eheim auto feeds running one on my freshwater tank for 3+ years. I've even accidentally bumped it and knocked it in the tank (where it sat for 30 minutes before I noticed.) Took it out and and let it dry and gave it some fresh batteries and it's still been kicking over a year later.

I hear some people have issues with the allotment door sticking, but they say usually tape or something remedies this problem. I've never experienced it myself though.

Papermonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote