Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2007, 05:58 AM   #26
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Thats awful... Thanks for sharing... Hope you feel better soon...

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 06:47 AM   #27
techigirl78
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your trip to the ER and aftermath. Thanks for sharing.

When I was looking around, I found this document: http://www.hsarpabaa.com/Solicitatio...Appendices.pdf

In the summary, it indicates the effects of palytoxins are muscle contractions, heart irregularities, and rigid paralysis. On the bright side, if it was palytoxin that did this to you, it is good that your heart has stayed strong!

Here's another article I found on the CDC website: http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/bm...ts%20Final.pdf It also included dinos in this article. Both being identified as potential public threats - i.e. possible biological weapons - on a number of government sites.

Do you know if your doctors ever tried contacting the CDC or a government hospital?

techigirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 07:00 AM   #28
bchbum189
Registered Member

a local lady was put onto bed rest for about a week from moving her palythoas. Once she touched them, her arm began to tingle followed by severe breathing and large amounts of saliva. She went to the point of almost passing out. One week later, she still wasnt recovered fully. These things are nasty little buggers, and i take them very seriously now(rubber gloves)

bchbum189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 07:11 AM   #29
2fishy
Registered Member

*gulp*! I just cleaned the aquarium glass yesterday, and bumped my rock yesterday, a couple of times and then I moved it over to a different area. Time for me to invest in some gloves! Does anyone know if the disposable gloves will protect your hands well enough?

Anyway, thanks for sharing and I hope you do get better soon!

Current Tank Info: 55 gal
2fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 07:16 AM   #30
bchbum189
Registered Member

i like the coralife gloves, go all the way to ur shoulder, and dont have any powders like some latex gloves have

bchbum189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 07:48 AM   #31
tgunn
Registered Member

WOW, that's some scary stuff!
Hope the after effects clear up for you!

I'm going to be taking a lot of my rocks out of the tank for a thorough scrubbing in a few weeks; I'm going to make sure to wear my heavy neoprene gloves, safety goggles, and perhaps even my half face respirator.

Thanks for sharing!

Tyler

tgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 08:18 AM   #32
Frick-n-Frags
Registered Member

now that sounds like a FUN hobby when you have to wear a hazmat suit to do it.

I think, another issue is people have different sensitivity to foreign irritants. like allergy prone people, and people that get all kinds of nasty rashes etc from any working in the tanks. So it is too easy to point fingers at a more obvious possibility. Most people have played in the water their whole hobby career without incident because they aren't sensitive to whatever is in the water.

I still remain skeptical that this was a palytoxin poisoning also, but that is only my opinion.

Current Tank Info: 2 50 gal tanks, sump, still BB
Frick-n-Frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 08:31 AM   #33
Sheol
Registered Member

Well, that is a warning to us all. Hope your recovery continues and is complete.

Sincerely,
Matthew

Sheol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 08:34 AM   #34
A.T.T.R
Registered Member

"The fact remains that I inhaled the steam from boiling the zoanthids and it closed up my lungs. The doctors all agreed that an aerosol toxin breathed in "
yup and i want to know what that was. cause that is scary as hell!
theres definitly more hten one toxin in them.
and according to the least reputable source. palytoxin is a rarity(and thank god since it is the worse)

3 years ago a read abput paly toxin and was scared of all zoas . so i did some reasearch. if ever i have time to find the links ill post them.

but most of the time the people who say things like " i cant feel my hand." its mostly in there head or some other toxin in the tank
for the most part palyy toxin has two effects. nothing. or death within minutes. by stopping your heart

i just really dont want people throwing out zoa;s due to being scared of them

if i remember correctly the toxin is only found when a certin dinoflag is present

Current Tank Info: Starting a 20g
A.T.T.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 08:46 AM   #35
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A.T.T.R
but most of the time the people who say things like " i cant feel my hand." its mostly in there head or some other toxin in the tank
for the most part palyy toxin has two effects. nothing. or death within minutes. by stopping your heart

In thier head............ maybe in your head.

You are incorrect, it has many effects other than nothing and death. Instead of taking the time for pointless posts. Take the time to dig up your old links and re-read them.

steveoutlaw, sorry you are going through this, I got squirt in the eye a month and a half ago. had a nasty reaction and couldnt see for a week. Hopefully things get better soon, I know the pain can be very real. Let us know how it pans out in the comming weeks.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 03/29/2007 at 08:58 AM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 09:16 AM   #36
RoGeTa
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing! I've never found Zoas worth the risk. I'm very accident prone, and anything that could happen WILL happen to me (I have a scar on my leg from a fream dirt bike accident to prove it!)! I have also dealt with a mild version of asthma most of my life, and I know that isn't fun. I hope you make a full recovery!

the little read house is just my myspace, I do not have a cool reef website yet ):

Current Tank Info: 115 Just set up!
RoGeTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 09:24 AM   #37
Aliie
Simply Complicated

I wanted some but now I am hesitant to even handle the little buggers! I have asthma and don't think it would be worth the risk either.

Current Tank Info: Torn down & packed away for now
Aliie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 09:27 AM   #38
IndyMatt
Registered Member

Whenever I frag Zoos I wear gloves and glasses.

Don't forget to protect your eyes!

IndyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 10:06 AM   #39
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Don't be scared of the zoanthid, just know that it is possible for them to be dangerious.

The best thing to do is wear goggles/gloves and do your fragging under water. They cant shoot you from under water.

I have asthma, its of no greater concern to asthmatics than any other human. If anything we already have the steroids that the doctors gave Steve.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 11:16 AM   #40
steveoutlaw
Moved On

Thanks everyone.

Don't get me wrong.......I'm not telling everyone to go and get rid of their zoos. I just want to make people aware of how dangerous they can be and to be careful when handling them. And I don't care what you read on the internet, DO NOT use boiling water to kill them.

Also, the only reason this is affecting my bronchial tubes is because I breathed the toxin in. As long as you don't breath it in you won't have any troubles like this.

I guess just use common sense and KNOW what you have in your tank.

steveoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 11:17 AM   #41
Tynan Rasmus
Registered Member

eek! thanks for the info.

Tynan Rasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 11:53 AM   #42
funkyman
Registered Member

Hang in there. Thanks for the info.

Unread 03/29/2007, 01:55 PM   #43
reefman13
Registered Member

Really sorry about that...good moral though

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Current Tank Info: None for now...for now...
reefman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 02:33 PM   #44
j.prostrata
Moved On

I believe last yr something similar happened to me.. I did not inhale it but rather injested it after touching a very similiar green with strips zoo that came in as a hicthhiker. I have many of them now but never try to touch them and when I do I wash my hands very well. I placed my corals in the tank that night and forgot to wash my hands and ate super. At this time I did not even notice the zoos attached to the sps base. Later that night I started getting wierd heart iregularities like skipping beats and things like that. Also I got some cramping in my leggs. We lets just say 1 week later they finally went away.. I did not go to the ER I was to chicken to hear what they would say. I did not even think about the zoos until a few weeks later when I noticed them on the sps base. I then did some reading and I fealt that was what happened to me aswell.. I have told other so fthis but they do not bleive me.. I wrestled in college and have always been in decent shape and never had any heart irregularities in my life and to this day I do not anymore. Hope you do better and come aorund like I have.

Peace

j.prostrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 02:36 PM   #45
clekchau
Premium Member

wow that is scary, thanks for sharing that story, hope you get better

Unread 03/29/2007, 02:50 PM   #46
TWallace
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing this info. I knew zoanthids contained palytoxin, but probably would not have thought about inhaling it accidentally.

TWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 04:18 PM   #47
vessxpress1
Premium Member

Man, here we go again.

There's no reason to be scared to death of zoanthids. I've handled them with bare hands a lot. I've had one squirt me directly in the eye. Nothing has ever happened to me because of zoanthids.

If you have severe allergy problems, then yes, maybe it is a good idea to take extra precaution. If you're worried about this incident happening to you, just don't boil them and inhale the steam! Whether it was the cause or not.

If you get some zoos on a rock and you don't want them there any more, get a good chisel and a hammer. Break that part of the rock off and discard it.

There's no point in being terrified of zoos. Just wash your hands well after handling them.

vessxpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 04:50 PM   #48
lanman3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vessxpress1
Man, here we go again.

There's no reason to be scared to death of zoanthids. I've handled them with bare hands a lot. I've had one squirt me directly in the eye. Nothing has ever happened to me because of zoanthids.

And there's no reason to be afraid of cars and trucks. I've driven around them a lot, and I'm still alive. I've even had a truck run me off the road once - but nothing really bad has ever happened to me because of traffic. I think all of these people getting killed in car accidents is just 'anecdotal' evidence that cars are dangerous. I'll believe it when I see it first-hand.

(I was over at Steve's house later that day, somewhere between zoanthid tea and the trip to the hospital. Man was getting SICK!)

bob

Current Tank Info: 24-gallon reef in Aquapod (Halide light), 58-gallon reef (T5 lights), frag system with 33-gallon tank, 40-breeder, and 32-gallon sump/refugium. 240-gallon display tank since Dec '07. All mixed reef.
lanman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 05:21 PM   #49
scunan
Registered Member

I think alot of what will happen to you depends on your genes. I have never had a problem with my zoos but never inhaled them. I have touched them many times with cuts on my hands and it was not intentional but nothing happened. I think it is like poison ivy, I could wash my hands with the stuff and not even get the slightest reaction. If my wife even goes near the stuff it will be all over her.

scunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2007, 05:31 PM   #50
steveanddanni
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kathainbowen
Oh, and by the by, if you feel an attack coming on and your friends/families want you to go to the ER, don't be stubborn and just go. My roomie had bad asthma and would always refuse to go to the ER until things got really, really scary.

My thoughts and pagan prayers are with you.
As a respiratory therapist the worst thing you can do with a severe asthma attack is to wait. That is a good way to end up with a tube down your throat and on a ventilator for a few days. Well that goes for any type of breathing problems, they usually never get better on their own without medical intervention.

steveanddanni is offline   Reply With Quote