Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2015, 04:59 PM   #1
indydakota
Registered Member

I need help ID'ing what's wrong

I think it is bacterial but not sure what kind if it is. It also used to swim pretty actively, now it only comes out when I feed the tank.

I bought this female Anthias and the male Anthias about 1 week ago from LFS as well as some frags, a green bubble-tip anem, a shrimp, a hippo tang, and some mangrove. It came on really quickly, within the last 24 hrs. The male has a small red dot in the similar area but it's been there for a couple of days and hasn't grown.

I have a 150 gal tank that has been established for over a year. I added a fuge a couple of months ago and used brass valve to regulate flow to it. I realized how stupid I was a couple days later after everything died except 2 clowns, 2 chromis's, and 1 coral. Water changes and filters eliminated the heavy metals and I'm restocking.

I'm about to pull it out and put in a QT but not sure how to treat it. I'm trying to get better pics, but it's hiding now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4176[1].jpg (45.8 KB, 20 views)
indydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2015, 05:32 AM   #2
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Do you know if the anthias was housed with any chromis? Given that it came on that quick I would be concerned with uronema.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2015, 09:22 AM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Looks like uronema. There is a reason why new fish should first go into a QT for observation.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2015, 10:23 AM   #4
indydakota
Registered Member

At the LFS there were no chromis in the display tank with them, but I'm not sure about previously.

As an update, shortly after I posted, the anthias went into hiding. I re-aquascaped this morning trying to find her but she is no where to be found. She must have dug pretty deep into the sand because I have found no signs of her. Any thoughts on how to find lost fish?

I agree w/ the thought that I should have QT'd them, but aside from the main display, sump, and fuge, I don't have a separate tank. (My wife would kill me if I got another.) So I have to gamble and pray everything I put in there is clean.

I looked up the details on Uronema. It seems like a pretty nasty bug. I imagine that if I don't find the anthias then the bugs are only going to multiply until the body is consumed correct? Then they'll start on the other fish. Wow. Time to get back to more aquascaping. lol

Thanks again for your responses.

Unread 06/28/2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydakota View Post

I looked up the details on Uronema. It seems like a pretty nasty bug. I imagine that if I don't find the anthias then the bugs are only going to multiply until the body is consumed correct? Then they'll start on the other fish. Wow. Time to get back to more aquascaping. .
Well, no. Once the fish dies the parasite leaves the body. But uronema does not require a host to complete its life cycle so there really is no way to get it out of your tank without tearing it down and sterilizing it. But the anthias needs to be found in the event it is dead so you don't have an ammonia spike.

I've never had an anthias bury itself in the sand but I have wrasses that will and to find them I used a chopstick and gently dragged it through the sand until it popped out.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2015, 01:51 PM   #6
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Best bet for treatment of Uronema is chloroquine. However, that really needs to be done in a separate treatment tank. If you can find the fish,likely hiding behind the rocks.

Uronema itself is an opportunistic pathogen. Rather common protozoan that becomes pathenogetic when conditions are right.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2015, 06:21 AM   #7
indydakota
Registered Member

Thank you both for your feedback and advice. I sincerely appreciate it.

Tags
bacterial, bruise, disease