Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/15/2015, 09:40 AM   #1
K.Stank
Registered Member

Exclamation Formalin Dip help! *New User, first post, desperate!

Hi All- first time posting and I am DESPERATE for help! I'm 99.9% certain my photo clowns that I picked up Saturday (and have in a QT tank under pristine water conditions) have Brooklynella. (I'm at work and didn't snap a photo this morning, I will when I get home).

The little one is pretty textbook per my research; white slimeish, sluggish, camping out under the filter, will play with or pick at food. The bigger one is much more active, eating actively, and showing no outward signs.

I do not have Formalin nor can I get it in a timely manner (shipping would be earliest arrival December 20-21st!) and my LFS is petco/petsmart. I'm not sure if any smaller stores sell. I'll make phone calls once they open. The store I purchased my little guys from is closed Monday and Tuesdays!

So- I did a FW dip this morning to the little guy who is worse for wear. It seemed to invigorate him while in the FW for the 3 minutes. I also aerated the water and adjusted the pH and temperature to match my tank. Upon reentering QT he showed some signs of stress, labored breathing at the surface, and the bigger clown tried to coax him to another location. When I checked back about 15 minutes later he was swimming slowly near the bottom.

OK- so long story short, I'm still at a loss of Formalin (which I've read is the only effective way to treat this nasty nasty thing). Luckily, I'm a science teacher and have sitting in my chemical cabinet 35% aqueous Formaldehyde. Here's from my MDMS from Flinn Science:

"Formaldehyde, in its basic form, is a gas. Most science teachers think of formaldehyde as a liquid. The liquid is actually a mixture of formaldehyde gas and water. The most common concentration used in school science departments (particularly biology) is a 37% solution. The solution consists of 37 grams of formaldehyde gas to 100 mL of water. To prevent polymerization of formaldehyde solution about 10-15% of methyl alcohol is added. It is the addition of the methyl alcohol that causes the substance to be called formalin as opposed to formaldehyde. It is correct to use the terms formalin and formaldehyde solution interchangeably. When diluting full-strength (37%) formaldehyde solution, assume it to be 100%. A fixative-strength (10%) solution is therefore a 3.7% solution of formaldehyde gas in water."

SO- am I safe to dilute 1mL into 1 gallon of temperature correct aquarium water and dip for 45 minutes?

Also- should I dip the other clown as well or leave alone until I see signs of distress?

Thank you so so so so so much!

K.Stank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 01:09 PM   #2
mattcoug
Registered Member

Sounds like you already have formalin. Just confirm there is no white precipitate and it doesn't have any strange additives and I think you are good to go.

mattcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 01:10 PM   #3
mattcoug
Registered Member

Everything is potentially infected. Dip them all and leave tank fallow.

mattcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 03:22 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Stank View Post
SO- am I safe to dilute 1mL into 1 gallon of temperature correct aquarium water and dip for 45 minutes?
That's the correct dosage and time.
If you don't have it yet, you might be able to get it at a pharmacy, I think for sure at one that has also veterinarian supplies.

I usually put my new fish into a small container with a quart or half gallon tank water and add the formalin drop by drop.
I use tiny Jebao fountain pumps to circulate the water and provide oxygen.

Quote:
Also- should I dip the other clown as well or leave alone until I see signs of distress?
Both as the other one likely has it too by now.

After dipping them you have to put them into a brook free tank or they get right away reinfected. Depending on the severity of the infection you may need to repeat this procedure a couple of times.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2015, 08:28 PM   #5
K.Stank
Registered Member

Thanks

When I came home today it was like I had a new little fish, pretty active with a hearty appetite. However it also looked totally different. I have no idea what it has! Not white and filmy now. I was all set for the dip but noticed a perhaps raw patch on the head so I didn't know what to do. I read the formaldin is terrible to do in that case. Any experience with ruby red? As the evening progresses he went back to being a little more listless. How do I post Pics?

Unread 12/15/2015, 10:48 PM   #6
mitchrapp
Registered Member

It might be uronema. Do a google search and see if that's what your fish looks like. You may try some antibacterial meds like Maracyn-2, but usually when it gets to that stage it may be too late.

mitchrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 12:35 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
How do I post Pics?
!.

Then use the image button to add the picture to the post body

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ´Go Advanced.jpg (26.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Manage Attachments.jpg (48.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: png Manage Attachments Window.PNG (59.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: png Copy Shortcut.PNG (52.2 KB, 82 views)

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2015, 09:22 AM   #8
K.Stank
Registered Member

Here's a pic. I'll add more

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.1 KB, 22 views)
Unread 12/16/2015, 09:23 AM   #9
K.Stank
Registered Member

Another

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.1 KB, 17 views)
Unread 12/16/2015, 09:25 AM   #10
K.Stank
Registered Member

Few more

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.7 KB, 15 views)
Unread 12/16/2015, 09:26 AM   #11
K.Stank
Registered Member

Last one

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.0 KB, 19 views)

Tags
brooklynella treatment, clown fish, dip, disease, formalin