Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2016, 07:55 AM   #1
Arrow36
Registered Member

Exclamation Percula clownfish w/ unknown disease, HELP

I have had these clowns over 3 weeks, on looks completely healthy while the other one has a small gray spot on his chin, bigger diameter than ich, and slime or some sort all over him. He is eating very well, twice a day. My parameters are all good and within the recommended ranges. They are currently in a small QT and being treated daily with Seachem Paragard. Can anyone help me identify what this is before it gets to severe. His behavior hasn't changed one bit, usually sleeps on the bottom or at the very top in the back corner with the other one. I thought it was brooklynella, but I had clowns long ago that died in hours from that disease, and he has had the spot on his chin since the beginning.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1519.jpg (44.8 KB, 42 views)
Arrow36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2016, 08:06 AM   #2
Arrow36
Registered Member

Here's the photos, they didn't want to load up for some reason.

Unread 04/05/2016, 03:04 PM   #3
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Looks like Brooklynella.
You need to get some formalin (FishVet Formalin MS) ASAP and give that fish a bath.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2016, 10:26 PM   #4
Arrow36
Registered Member

Ok thanks so much, I really appreciate the response

Unread 04/11/2016, 10:09 AM   #5
Arrow36
Registered Member

Exclamation

Ok, so I got the exact Formalin you suggested. I've done 3 dips, first one for 50 mins, the next day did one for 30 mins, and did one today(consecutive 3rd day) for 30 mins. Almost all, if not almost all of the whitish slime or coating on his body is gone. He still eats like a champ as before treatment. How many more dips should I do? he still has that grayish spot on his chin. Should I do a 4th dip tomorrow and then just start adding 2 drops per gallon every other day like the instructions suggest for dosing of 37% Formalin in the QT tank?

Unread 04/11/2016, 10:32 AM   #6
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow36 View Post
Ok, so I got the exact Formalin you suggested. I've done 3 dips, first one for 50 mins, the next day did one for 30 mins, and did one today(consecutive 3rd day) for 30 mins. Almost all, if not almost all of the whitish slime or coating on his body is gone. He still eats like a champ as before treatment. How many more dips should I do? he still has that grayish spot on his chin. Should I do a 4th dip tomorrow and then just start adding 2 drops per gallon every other day like the instructions suggest for dosing of 37% Formalin in the QT tank?
After the dip, are they going into clean water?

Unread 04/11/2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Arrow36
Registered Member

Yeah, I cycle the water in the QT to a bucket, then use new water in the QT tank , match the parameters and while they are dipped allows the QT tank to warm up if need be. And once they are back in the QT tank I add some fresh water to make the salinity more like 1.020.

Unread 04/11/2016, 08:11 PM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Do you actually clean and sterilize the QT or do you just fill it with fresh saltwater.

BTW: fresh water and freshwater are not the same.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 04/12/2016, 08:13 AM   #9
Arrow36
Registered Member

No I have just been rinsing it then filling it with new water. What's the best way to sterilize it? Boil tap water then light rinse then fill? The Gary spot on his chin this morning has a black dot or dark brownish dot in the middle of it.

Unread 04/12/2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Kaidman
Registered Member

I believe what they're suggesting is a second QT tank and equipment. So when you empty the first tank and do a dip, the fish then goes into the second tank with all different gear (heater, air line/stone, and tank). Then clean everything in the first tank and equipment with bleach to sterilize it. Let the first tank dry for at least a day. It will then be ready for after the next dip.

Rinse and repeat.

Unread 04/12/2016, 04:59 PM   #11
Arrow36
Registered Member

No I don't have that many tanks. I did the formalin and used their tanks water again, this time I boiled water and cleaned the tank while they were in dip. Hope it's enough, cause I'm running out of resources and options.

Unread 04/12/2016, 07:48 PM   #12
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaidman View Post
I believe what they're suggesting is a second QT tank and equipment. So when you empty the first tank and do a dip, the fish then goes into the second tank with all different gear (heater, air line/stone, and tank). Then clean everything in the first tank and equipment with bleach to sterilize it. Let the first tank dry for at least a day. It will then be ready for after the next dip.

Rinse and repeat.
That would be preferred

Unread 04/13/2016, 01:12 AM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Best are two tanks. If only one is available wash it with bleach and then rinse it well. Do not fill boiling water into a glass or acrylic tank - glass will crack and acrylic may deform.

That gray spot with the black could be a fungal or bacterial infection.

Unread 04/14/2016, 08:04 AM   #14
Arrow36
Registered Member

Will the 37% Formalin take care of that or should I be treating that as well in the clean tank?

Unread 04/14/2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Arrow36
Registered Member

Heres a pic of it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender(1).jpg (41.8 KB, 18 views)
Unread 04/14/2016, 05:42 PM   #16
Arrow36
Registered Member

Just an update, I'm beginning to think its not brooklynella, cause the other 2 fish in the QT look amazing. And the noticeably sick clown from the pics looks the same after so many 50 min formalin dips and he's eating like a boss.

Unread 04/14/2016, 07:53 PM   #17
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If formalin dips don't show effect it may be bacterial. Try amoxicillin (Fish Mox) - that worked for my percula.

Unread 04/14/2016, 09:59 PM   #18
Arrow36
Registered Member

I'll look into it, the guy at the fish store told me I might need to increase the dosage of formalin to be effective. I have done so because I don't want to kill me fish even though he seems fine in the 50 dips. Still weighing my options. One thing I just noticed is at night time when the lights are off he turns pale, or color loss whereas the other clown looks normal day and night. Not sure what that might point to as a possibility.

Unread 04/15/2016, 09:20 AM   #19
Arrow36
Registered Member

So I bought the Fish Mox, should be here in a few days. I went ahead and did the double dose of formalin for 50 mins. All the fish made it through the process. I cleaned the tank and sterilized it. A good portion of the slime white stuff on him seems to have either gone microscopic, meaning you can barely see anything.

Unread 04/20/2016, 08:03 AM   #20
Arrow36
Registered Member

The Fish Mox is suppose to be in today, bad weather has slowed the shipping down. The clown no longer has the slime on its body, but is very pale in color, top dorsal fin is camped down. He seems to swim down into the air bubbles from the air stone occasionally and is eating very aggressively, like dashing and gobbling up the food fast. Still rapid breathing but isn't hanging near the top gasping for air. Any ideas? I recently did a 5ml per gallon dip of Rid Ich(formalin based) for 35 mins, which seemed to improve his health with the possible brooklynella. Please help. Parameters are good, gets a 25-50% water change everyday to deal with ammonia possibility issues.

Tags
brooklynella, clownfish, disease, treatment