Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/26/2016, 04:35 PM   #1
CalebWBrink
Registered Member

Clownfish w/Flukes

Guys...I need some help. I joined specifically for this post. Here's some background: I received an order from Bluezoo about one month or so ago. Long story short, something in the order brought flukes, as my clownfish, the first fish I'd ever gotten for this tank, caught them. I waited a week too late to do the freshwater dip, thinking that the problem would resolve itself, as she was a very healthy clown and had been with me for four years. The shock ended up finishing her off sadly. Oddly, none of the other fish showed any symptoms.

I waited two weeks and then picked up another black occi clown. All was well. I then picked up a second occi from Petco a week after, hoping that they'd pair up. Now, in the tank at Petco, this clown was active and fat. His fins were clamped occasionally, but for the most time he looked to be in fine health. I was a bit weary that his fins weren't always erect, but, he had literally been put in a few hours earlier that day, so I figured it was simply stress from the shipment. Mistake #2 is that I purchased him and he passed the flukes on to my black occi. I've been heavily reading over this the past week, and I'm certain it's not brooklynella or ich. Both clowns fin's are clamped and their breathing is hard and fast, w/their gills appearing to be slightly extended outward- looks like gill flukes to me.

I ordered some prazi from Amazon and this is day two of treatment. The skimmer cup is off and the carbon has been removed, yet the two clowns haven't changed a bit. From what I've read, Prazi is supposed to kill flukes within the first 10 hours. I did a short 45 second freshwater dip on both of them a few hours ago and saw what (could?) be flukes in the pitcher, but I'm not entirely sure; however, it seems to have done nothing.

I'm honestly stumped guys and I need some help. These two clowns have paired up, and I definitely don't want to lose them. I was devastated from losing my original fish- I refuse to lose these two too. Any ideas?

CalebWBrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 05:31 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would be careful to make a diagnosis without some further investigation.
From your description it could also be velvet, and I would also not entirely dismiss the possibility of a Brooklynella infection given the fact that only clownfish seem to be affected.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2016, 07:07 PM   #3
CalebWBrink
Registered Member

See, I thought the same. But velvet typically kills within days, if not sooner, whereas the clowns have been this way for almost a week now. As far as brook, I see no slime or mucus on their bodies. They've also been twitching (not the clownfish pair dance) which still leads me to believe that it's flukes. Maybe I'm unlucky and got a strand resistant to PraziPro?

CalebWBrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, disease, flukes, parasite, sick