Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2015, 06:58 PM   #1
DerNaschkatze
Registered Member

Established Toadstool (Sarcophyton) not opening

Hey,

I have a 37 gallon tank, mixed soft, LPS, SPS, bright lights, good water movement, good parameters.

My toadstool was one of my favorites in the tank for a long time, with long polyps and a nice cream-peach color. It was that way for maybe 5 months. Lately it has been completely closed, though not shriveled or gray.

The thing that has me worried is that I have been having some difficulties with leathers as of recent. First was a xenia colony (that has since recovered) almost completely melt. Second was a colony of kenya trees that collapsed for about 2 weeks and then disintegrated. Third was a finger leather that had looked beautiful for months.

Everything else is growing famously. The zoanthids are weeds, the acans are pigs, the montipora are growing at an nice rate, and the anemones are going insane.

Any idea what might be wrong with my tank? Or is the toadstool just pouting for a bit?

My tank is ~10 months old with 2 clowns, a cardinal fish, a firefish, and a neon goby.

Thanks

DerNaschkatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

A picture would be helpful but they do shed from time to time and that is more than likely the issue, but without a picture can't be for sure. They need high water flow and med to high lighting.

Also need to see what your water parameters are.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2015, 02:22 PM   #3
OoooDRAGONoooo
Registered Member

It is also possible that it's sheltering from what the other corals sometime release into the system that u can't test for.mine closes up a lot especially if disturbed.

OoooDRAGONoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2015, 03:18 PM   #4
RA
Registered Member

Sometimes when xenia isn't doing well it's a sign that your Ph/Alk is too low. This would effect your other corals also.

RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoooDRAGONoooo View Post
It is also possible that it's sheltering from what the other corals sometime release into the system that u can't test for.mine closes up a lot especially if disturbed.
Running carbon will help this

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Pastey
Registered Member

How long has it been that way? I've had them close up for 2 weeks while they "shed". You can help them by increasing the flow a bit to help get the film off of them. If it is not showing signs of melting or signs that something may be preying on it, I'd leave it be for a while...they typically come back OK.

You do have a variety of corals so there is a chance you could be experiencing some type of chemical warfare. You could try running carbon for a bit to see if the toadstool responds positively.

Also, keep in mind that most soft corals like water that is a little bit dirtier than most corals. Test your nutrient levels. If you're operating at close to 0 nitrates/phosphates, it may be that the water is simply too clean.

Unread 11/07/2015, 06:18 PM   #7
SPS911
Registered Member

A couple drops of lugols iodine will help them shed faster. My softies always seemed to respond well to iodine.

SPS911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, toadstool