Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2016, 09:23 PM   #1
benr783
Registered Member

Foxface rapidly breathing after water change

I've had my foxface rabbitfish for 3.5 weeks. after 1 week, I started treating with Ich Shield powder medicine. After 2.5 weeks of having the medicine in the water, I performed a 25% water change on my quarantine tank. I dosed correctly of the Ich Shield.

My fox is now rapidly breathing, like really badly. He's also swimming around a lot, really fast. Earlier, I saw him twitching.

Now I'm really worried he's gonna die. I dosed copper correctly also with my previous foxface, but he died. From the EXACT same symptoms! Rapid breathing!

Guys, what do I do? I can't lose another foxface..

benr783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 06:34 AM   #2
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Foxface rapidly breathing after water change

Is this the first time you've done a water change since you've had him? You probably just scared him, they spook easy and are dramatic about it.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 07:13 AM   #3
juniorrocketdad
Registered Member

Check ammonia sounds to me like ammonia poisoning, are sure the quarantine tank was cycled

juniorrocketdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 08:00 AM   #4
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Lobst of Justice is correct about how flighty rabbitfish are ( I think that is part of how they got named), they also change colors when scared to a dull mottled camo pattern that can be pretty disconcerting to a new owner.

That said, check all of your water parameters. Don't forget the semmingly obvious temperature and salinity. It is possible that you mixed the slat water wrong. Or even changing out 25% with room temp water shocked him.

In a QT, I agree with jr. Rocket Dad that ammonia is always a top suspect.

This and possible overdosing or adverse reactioin to meds is why I prefer TTM for QT. the transfers pretty much elimiate any concerns about ammonia build up.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 08:37 AM   #5
dread240
Registered Member

dude if I move a rock in the tank with a foxface he will look like he's ready to die at any moment. They are the most over dramatic fish I've ever met

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef tank
dread240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 09:07 AM   #6
benr783
Registered Member

Ok so, 12 hours after he's still rapidly breathing.

I just checked my salinity which is fine, and my temp is fine. I preheated my bucket of water before the water change last night so it couldn't have shocked him because it was already heated.

My ammonia is at 0.25 according to my Seachem ammonia badge. I put in a dose of prime last night, and this morning I took my sponge filter from my cycled display tank and put it in the quarantine filter.

Is he gonna live?

Unread 03/31/2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benr783 View Post
Ok so, 12 hours after he's still rapidly breathing.

I just checked my salinity which is fine, and my temp is fine. I preheated my bucket of water before the water change last night so it couldn't have shocked him because it was already heated.

My ammonia is at 0.25 according to my Seachem ammonia badge. I put in a dose of prime last night, and this morning I took my sponge filter from my cycled display tank and put it in the quarantine filter.

Is he gonna live?
Hard to tell for sure, if he does he will have ammonia burns on his gills for sure. Get some Nitrofuracin Green Powder (NFG) and keep dosing prime. You shouldn't be seeing any ammonia in your QT tank

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 07:11 PM   #8
benr783
Registered Member

Update: He was acting very poorly with his breathing so this morning I moved him to my display tank which is completely cycled. He's been swimming around, he's been yellow the majority of the time.

My parameters in the tank he's in now are as follows:

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0.0-0.25
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 0.0
High range pH: 8.2

There was no ammonia before he joined the tank.

What do you think guys?

Unread 03/31/2016, 08:04 PM   #9
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Update: He was acting very poorly with his breathing so this morning I moved him to my display tank which is completely cycled. He's been swimming around, he's been yellow the majority of the time.

My parameters in the tank he's in now are as follows:

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0.0-0.25
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 0.0
High range pH: 8.2

There was no ammonia before he joined the tank.

What do you think guys?
Those parameters are not consistent with a cycled tank. There should be some nitrate present. How did you cycle this tank?

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 08:12 PM   #10
benr783
Registered Member

I cycled the tank with one clownfish.

Unread 03/31/2016, 08:13 PM   #11
benr783
Registered Member

Also does anybody think he will make it?

Unread 04/01/2016, 06:30 AM   #12
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

IF you can get the ammonia to go away I think he stands a chance, if not then he will eventually be killed by the gill damage

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 04/01/2016, 06:40 AM   #13
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Hard to tell for sure, if he does he will have ammonia burns on his gills for sure. Get some Nitrofuracin Green Powder (NFG) and keep dosing prime. You shouldn't be seeing any ammonia in your QT tank

How does NFG help in this situation?

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2016, 07:58 AM   #14
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
How does NFG help in this situation?
Ammonia burns and wounds are both solved with NFG

Unread 04/01/2016, 10:08 AM   #15
benr783
Registered Member

Okay, update:

Overnight, the ammonia that was left in my display tank went away. So, now the fish is in a tank with no ammonia. Also, another good thing: His rapid breathing issue goes on and off, but most of the time he is breathing perfectly fine, so now maybe his rapid breathing is just him being scared?

He does have a faint line on him which I read could be from ammonia. Will that go away?

Also, I'm about to go to my LFS to buy some bio spira to help my biological filter develop so that I don't have ammonia problems anymore.

Unread 04/01/2016, 10:45 AM   #16
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
He does have a faint line on him which I read could be from ammonia. Will that go away?
Are you talking about its Lateral Line? That's a normal part of its anatomy if so.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2016, 11:00 AM   #17
benr783
Registered Member

Yeah, it is his lateral line. However, I've never seen this before his ammonia issues.

Tags
breathing, disease, foxface, rabbitfish