Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2016, 09:26 PM   #1
hnnhflns
Registered Member

Large 10 yearold Valamingi Tang Skin Sloughing

Our 9+ inch vlamingi tang attempted to jump out of the 300 gallon tank the other night. Thankfully we saw it quickly and got he back in the tank within a few seconds.

She has been doing fine since, been her normal self, although she has been a little more timid than usual. She is eating like she has been for the last 3 years that we have had her.

Today we noticed that her skin on one side looks like it is sloughing off. Kind of like what would happen if you got a really bad burn. It isn't ich, and we run UV/Ozone. She bounced between the top of the tank and the light (which was off at the time), when she was out of water, but she wasn't out for more than a few seconds.

Any ideas on what it is?

Sorry for blurry pictures, it was hard to get one with her holding still.

hnnhflns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

I'd take a look at the UV, and maybe consider a bigger tank---she's not comfortable where she is and may have taken to hanging out too close to the uv. Fish that are finding tanks too small can start developing some different behaviors. Just guesswork, but that sure looks like a burn.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 09:47 PM   #3
hnnhflns
Registered Member

The UV is in a closed tube system (Aqua UV) that the fish can't get anywhere near, as is the Ozone. The bulb was replaced ~3-4 months ago. And the Ozone only runs a few hours a day. The UV runs constantly, but as I said, there is no chance that she could have gotten burned by the UV bulb.

I am not worried about her behavior, I am worried about what is happening to her skin.

Unread 06/06/2016, 09:52 PM   #4
ali1
Registered Member

Just keep an eye on it. Maybe bruised on its way to recovery. If you look at many fish in the wild, including tangs, they dont look perfect. Theres always a blemish, scar, or significant mark., however they prove to be super fat and healthy.

"I'm totally frustrated by this disease. My display has been fallow for 2 months now. If ich happened to mysteriously appear again, I'm giving up and going back to African Cichilds."
ali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2016, 09:57 PM   #5
hnnhflns
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali1 View Post
Just keep an eye on it. Maybe bruised on its way to recovery. If you look at many fish in the wild, including tangs, they dont look perfect. Theres always a blemish, scar, or significant mark., however they prove to be super fat and healthy.
I don't care if she is perfect or not, I just have not seen anything quite like this yet. I just want to make sure I treat her properly for whatever this is, because I would be devastated if she died.

And she is SUPER fat and has been in captivity 10 years now, like she has legitimate fat rolls that you can see when she swims.

Tags
disease, skin, vlamingi tang