Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2016, 12:56 PM   #1
t1a1c1h
Registered Member

New spots on starfish

We have a starfish which we believe is a red linkia. He's been in our tank for about 4 months and has never shown any signs of illness or anything, no idea what he eats (we've tried clam, mussel, asterina star, various types of frozen fish food inc brine and mysis and ones with garlic and without, various algaes both during the day and at night to no avail!). In the last 24 hrs or so he's developed what looks like a rash, almost like measles, with dark purple/ brown spots around 0.1cm each all over his arms/ legs and body. He's still roving around at normal speed and there are no behaviour changes that we can tell from watching. Can't get a pic as he's behind the rocks at the mo!

t1a1c1h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

how old is your tank and what size? 3-4 months is about average for them to starve to death which is usually what happens with these guys. once they go through all of the food in the sand bed, they just starve.

i always suggest a couple of brittle or seapent sea stars instead of the hard-to-keep ones like linkias.

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Yes, it's likely starting to disintegrate. Unfortunately they do not fare well in home aquaria.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, sea star, spots, starfish