Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/25/2016, 06:31 PM   #1
Hoggwild
Registered Member

VIPARSPECTRA vs Euphotica

Hi all. New to reefing. Actually, I have a 48w x 24d x 38h 150g being used for Chiclids that I will be changing over to my first saltwater. My hope is a reef tank with corals. fyi, I bought the tank used from a reefer about 10 years ago.
Soooooo, I am in the planning stage and looking at lights on amazon. Here's the question;
2 of the VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control 165W LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Full Spectrum
or
2 of the Euphotica Dimmable 16inch

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hoggwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2016, 06:56 PM   #2
ericarenee
Registered Member

i have the viparspectra lights i have 5 of them and they are over a year old and have worked flawless. The others you mention i no nothing about.. They have more settings ramp timing and so on. Just more things to break in my opinion .
You really just need good lights with timers or put them on timers.. I have mine set to where the blue channels come on one at a time from left to right 15 minutes apart. then the white channel comes in 40 minutes later from left to right 30 minutes apart.
at night its revered . then they all go off right after two little blue moon lights come on they are on a simple wall timer
I HAVE ONLY SOFT CORALS. So i do not know how they would do with sps thou some claim they are fine

the 16 inch lights you mention are getting up there close to more well known brands.. to me if your gonna spend 300.00 for a light get it from a known company that will be around to stand behind it..

GOOD Luck on your choice

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2016, 05:40 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

They are both OK fixtures. The Euphotica Dimmable looks exactly like fixtures made by EverGrow in China that several companies used to (or may still) sell. But who will do the repairs if you need help? Look at Reef Breeders fixtures. They sold fixture that looked exactly like the Euphotica and I used several for over 4 years. Now they have a newer, and much improved version for sale. I got 2 of the Photon V2 fixtures when I set up 2 new tanks and these fixtures are really nice. And if you ever need help, they have a sponsor forum here at RC so it's easy to ask question of the company or people who use the fixtures. And I can't say enough about the great customer service provided by Reef Breeders. I needed parts for a pump they sold and I got the parts in just a few days. Well worth a few extra bucks in the initial cost calculation.

Unread 12/26/2016, 07:43 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

I just went with the Viparspectra and although I cannot comment on the comparison I am very pleased with the units after use over my 90 for a short time.

Unread 12/28/2016, 09:33 AM   #5
StacyM
Registered Member

I am considering the same options for LEDs. Originally, I thought I really wanted something that could ramp up to sunrise and sunset. As I am reading and researching more, I am finding that it's more of just a wow factor and not really necessary. Are there any real benefits of the ramp, or will a timer suffice?

StacyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2016, 05:54 PM   #6
RobZilla04
Registered Member

The ramp is for our visual enjoyment only. Neither the fish nor coral care. Same for fixtures with storm modes.

I kept my first fixture, AquatcLife Edge, and put it under my canopy as well for the effect of sunrise and sunset mainly because I had room. Second reason, my wife doesn't think I wasted the money.

Unread 12/28/2016, 08:46 PM   #7
StacyM
Registered Member

I just ordered my 2 Viparspectra 165s with the timer. Getting closer, one step at a time. Thanks for all the info, advice, and opinions!

StacyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2016, 06:49 AM   #8
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyM View Post
I just ordered my 2 Viparspectra 165s with the timer. Getting closer, one step at a time. Thanks for all the info, advice, and opinions!
You're very welcome, glad we could help.

Unread 01/16/2017, 03:08 AM   #9
nicova
Registered Member

Hi,
IS there anyone with some review information about the VIPAR's?
Someone who owns them for some months or longer? Can you see coral improvement? (grow, color) And on what dimensions of tank do you use them?

Thank you in advance!

nicova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 07:47 AM   #10
RobZilla04
Registered Member

See post #2 above.

Unread 01/16/2017, 08:46 AM   #11
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicova View Post
Hi,
IS there anyone with some review information about the VIPAR's?
Someone who owns them for some months or longer? Can you see coral improvement? (grow, color) And on what dimensions of tank do you use them?

Thank you in advance!
i have 3 of them over my 84x30 inch tank. one over a 38 shallow but deep dimension tank.. and one over a tropical tank. I switched to these from 250w m/h .Everything in my tanks are doing great Soft corals for the most part.

The Rest is in Post 2 above on how i have my Display setup. ohh over my pond i have 5 60w 7000k Flood Lights..... its fish only but there are some anthelia kenya and gsp taking hold...

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
Unread 01/16/2017, 09:59 AM   #12
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Viparspectra 165w is $10 less on ebay. Is there any advantage in buy from Amazon?

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 10:53 AM   #13
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
Viparspectra 165w is $10 less on ebay. Is there any advantage in buy from Amazon?
If you have amazon prime they will hold the seller responsible for there warranty.. but i cant really say there is a difference other wise