Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2017, 03:55 PM   #1
malx
Registered Member

Chromis Disease Question

Hi, All.

My Blue-Green Chromis seemed to have suddenly died in my SPS dominated tank. He was fine one day, than the next day, the spot appeared on him. The day after that, he was breathing heavy. I left for a few hours came back, he was basically a skeleton. I'm assuming he died and my snails/crabs had a field day.

I tested the water and no nutrients in the tank that seem to have been the cause. All of the other fish seem fine, same with my SPS.

The spot looked like this http://www.wetwebmedia.com/DiseasePI...%20Chromis.png
and he had a retracted dorsal fin.

Anyway, I really liked his color so I plan to get another. Before I do, I want to understand what happened so that I can properly deal with it.

Thanks,
Joey

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 04:24 PM   #2
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Because it's difficult to correctly diagnose anything based on photos alone, my suggestion would be to QT your next fish and treat it as if it were diseased. Worm it, CP it, then after thirty days move it to the DT. But be aware if the first fish had something it is in your display or was already in the display and it took advantage of the new fish and its stressed immune system. To be completely covered, you'd be ahead to assume contamination, remove all the fish, treat them all, and while that goes on let the tank sit fallow for at least 90 days, preferably 120. I realize that might not be logistically possible for most people, but thought I would toss it out there.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 04:37 PM   #3
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
Because it's difficult to correctly diagnose anything based on photos alone, my suggestion would be to QT your next fish and treat it as if it were diseased. Worm it, CP it, then after thirty days move it to the DT. But be aware if the first fish had something it is in your display or was already in the display and it took advantage of the new fish and its stressed immune system. To be completely covered, you'd be ahead to assume contamination, remove all the fish, treat them all, and while that goes on let the tank sit fallow for at least 90 days, preferably 120. I realize that might not be logistically possible for most people, but thought I would toss it out there.
Hi, Crayola.

Thanks for the tips. Actually there was a bit of information I left out. Before this fish went to my SPS Display Tank, it was QTed for 6 weeks. Every other fish was QTed for 30-45 days as well except for one fish which I bought from a trusted friend of mine a few weeks ago (which is also doing very well). This Chromis has been in the display for four weeks total. My instinct is that maybe it was picked on, stressed and died, but just want to be safe.

I will pay close attention to the other fish and if I see even a spec on them, rip them out and treat.

Last edited by malx; 01/16/2017 at 04:43 PM.
Unread 01/16/2017, 04:46 PM   #4
ericarenee
Registered Member

I Have had this happen to Reef Chromis . Starts off as a tiny red spot , it will often get better.especially having only one in your tank where they are not picking on each other. This is usually caused by low water quality.If you have sps dominate tank i would amost assume its not the case.

I have always had reef chromis in my tanks and we actually lost one a few days ago to this exact thing. We still have 5 of them . 4 tangs , royal gramma blenny and a few other fish that are all fine.... ours are all about 4 inches and 6-7 years old if i remember correctly.
Its drives me Flipping crazy sometimes.

My assumption is that it get the red spot issue and just did not heal
How long have you had the chromis?

is this the only one you have ?

sk8r will prob chime in with better explanation to my post She seems to be a Expert on damsel fish ..

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 04:51 PM   #5
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
I Have had this happen to Reef Chromis . Starts off as a tiny red spot , it will often get better.especially having only one in your tank where they are not picking on each other. This is usually caused by low water quality.If you have sps dominate tank i would amost assume its not the case.

I have always had reef chromis in my tanks and we actually lost one a few days ago to this exact thing. We still have 5 of them . 4 tangs , royal gramma blenny and a few other fish that are all fine.... ours are all about 4 inches and 6-7 years old if i remember correctly.
Its drives me Flipping crazy sometimes.

My assumption is that it get the red spot issue and just did not heal
How long have you had the chromis?

is this the only one you have ?

sk8r will prob chime in with better explanation to my post She seems to be a Expert on damsel fish ..
Had him about 3 months total including a QT period and only one for that nipping reason. With that said, sometimes my Cinnamon clowns like to bully the other fish. I don't see them doing that often, maybe once or twice a week I catch them. I feed often and yes, my nitrate are near zero. In fact, I have trouble maintaining the 5ppm nitrate without it slipping to near zero and my phosphates are usually 0.

Total fish stock is:
2 Cinnamon Clowns
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Fireball Angel
1 Midas Blenny
1 PJ Cardinal
1 Royal Gramma

The fish seem to leave each other alone for the most part.

Unread 01/16/2017, 05:01 PM   #6
ericarenee
Registered Member

I always blame my Clown fish.. She was picking on my Chromis before i moved her and her mate to another tank for different reasons.She had bitten me and drawn blood.Especially when they have eggs.

To me it appears the Red spot disease .I know its prob not random but it does seem like it is.
Chromis are tough fish mine Pick on each other all the time.when they are not swimming together ..

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 05:09 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Got a pistol shrimp? Otherwise, uronema marinum, maybe.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 05:25 PM   #8
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Got a pistol shrimp? Otherwise, uronema marinum, maybe.
I do have a pistol shrimp. Why? He's tiny :P

Unread 01/16/2017, 08:21 PM   #9
anthonys51
Registered Member.

do you medicate in qt or just observe.

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2017, 11:23 PM   #10
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
do you medicate in qt or just observe.
Just observe.

Unread 01/17/2017, 10:52 AM   #11
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malx View Post
Hi, Crayola.

Thanks for the tips. Actually there was a bit of information I left out. Before this fish went to my SPS Display Tank, it was QTed for 6 weeks. Every other fish was QTed for 30-45 days as well except for one fish which I bought from a trusted friend of mine a few weeks ago (which is also doing very well). This Chromis has been in the display for four weeks total. My instinct is that maybe it was picked on, stressed and died, but just want to be safe.

I will pay close attention to the other fish and if I see even a spec on them, rip them out and treat.

When you say it was QTd, did you QT it and treat it? Or just keep it isolated? Many parasites, bacteria, viruses, etc can remain dormant in a fish for months. Ich and marine velvet (per some articles I've read) have been seen to remain dormant in a fish for up to 6 months. If the disease is inside the fish it's impenetrable to any kind of medication. But treating the fish with medication can often kill the parasite should it emerge. It's the only way to kill it pretty much. Certain species of marine velvet have no problems existing in bracken water or near fresh water conditions.

Unread 01/17/2017, 10:54 AM   #12
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Oops, other person got the answer. IMHO, if you just observe the fish, you might as well not be QTing at all. Watching them doesn't rid them of what they could and will be carrying. Marine velvet, ich, and various other parasites are a normal part of the oceans water column and all fish are exposed to them at some point in their life (unless it's tank raised and kept isolated). The trick is most fish simply develop an immune response to the parasite and keep it in check. So fish with a strong immune system may never get sick and appear healthy, when in fact they are carrying a myriad of parasites and disease.

Unread 01/17/2017, 11:18 AM   #13
Sk8r
RC Mod

A tiger pistol in my tank took out his shrimp partner, a max-sized YWG at 3+ inches, plus firefish and I suspect him in the demise of one other fish about the same size, only symptom being a red spot just north of midway on the fish. Just sayin'.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2017, 02:54 PM   #14
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
A tiger pistol in my tank took out his shrimp partner, a max-sized YWG at 3+ inches, plus firefish and I suspect him in the demise of one other fish about the same size, only symptom being a red spot just north of midway on the fish. Just sayin'.

I have a Randall pistol that's about 1". The chromis is never near him, he was always at the tip, who knows!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/17/2017, 02:55 PM   #15
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
Oops, other person got the answer. IMHO, if you just observe the fish, you might as well not be QTing at all. Watching them doesn't rid them of what they could and will be carrying. Marine velvet, ich, and various other parasites are a normal part of the oceans water column and all fish are exposed to them at some point in their life (unless it's tank raised and kept isolated). The trick is most fish simply develop an immune response to the parasite and keep it in check. So fish with a strong immune system may never get sick and appear healthy, when in fact they are carrying a myriad of parasites and disease.

Good to know. So when I QT my next wave of fish, what do you recommend as per preventative medications?

I plan on adding:
Another chromis
Leapord wrasse
Bristletooth tang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk