Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2018, 03:26 PM   #1
markaren
Registered Member

Vortech MP40 Rusted

Both of my Vortech MP40 Wet side units have magnets that have rusted flake expanded and sunk to the bottom of my tank 6 months apart. Has this happened to anyone here? I decided when the first one happened that it was an anomaly. Apparently it is a design flaw.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 76G Half Circle/XP2000SSS/MP40Wes/Radion Gen1, Tunze Osmolator ATO...Maturing Stage
markaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 03:35 PM   #2
nikon187
Registered Member

yes, a cpl threads down in this forum. *** happened to my wet side. ecotech says its due to how its cleaned. When i soak my wet sides i always remove my magnets from the back ( original wetsides )

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2018, 04:45 PM   #3
markaren
Registered Member

I do want to say how ever the system is AWESOME!!! I have no issue with staying with it. The over all quality and programing is amazing.
I can not believe I did not notice the other thread. Sorry admins

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 76G Half Circle/XP2000SSS/MP40Wes/Radion Gen1, Tunze Osmolator ATO...Maturing Stage
Unread 08/16/2018, 08:02 AM   #4
peder
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaren View Post
Both of my Vortech MP40 Wet side units have magnets that have rusted flake expanded and sunk to the bottom of my tank 6 months apart. Has this happened to anyone here? I decided when the first one happened that it was an anomaly. Apparently it is a design flaw.
They are design do do that

peder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 12:52 AM   #5
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peder View Post
They are design do do that
No they aren't.

Quote:
Did you contact ecotech support?

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 05:57 PM   #6
saveafish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
No they aren't.
I'll back up so everyone understands a bit. I cant spell the types so you will have to look them up. There are 2 (two) different types of magnets used in the hobby. 1 (one) is fine its the magnet that danner mag drives use and Eheim use as an example. The other type is a higher iron lower carbon magnet. This is what lower costing md pumps and some attachment things are using. Several yrs ago. Jabeo came out. Well the boat load of reefers started ordering them by the boat load. Vortech sales went sinking to the bottom fast. They changed the Magnets in the drive systems to the way much cheaper magnet. This is the cheaper magnet thats blowing its butt off.

Pay close attention to this.
The way older models are doing great. Its just the models after jabeo came out.

I'm not against them at all. In fact it does state you should replace the wet side every 18mo do to the change. If your not changing it every 18mo its on you not them.
It is designed to have a much shorter lifespan than the much older ones did.

Current Tank Info: 400g display build, 300g sump, 75g ATO, 75g refug and a few more. Close to a 1000g. 200g mixing station.
saveafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 06:05 PM   #7
jamie1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveafish View Post
I'll back up so everyone understands a bit. I cant spell the types so you will have to look them up. There are 2 (two) different types of magnets used in the hobby. 1 (one) is fine its the magnet that danner mag drives use and Eheim use as an example. The other type is a higher iron lower carbon magnet. This is what lower costing md pumps and some attachment things are using. Several yrs ago. Jabeo came out. Well the boat load of reefers started ordering them by the boat load. Vortech sales went sinking to the bottom fast. They changed the Magnets in the drive systems to the way much cheaper magnet. This is the cheaper magnet thats blowing its butt off.

I'm not against them at all. In fact it does state you should replace the wet side every 18mo do to the change. If your not changing it every 18mo its on you not them.
Where did you get that info from. The cheaper magnet stuff crap.

The two magnets you are thinking of are ceramic magnets which is what most submersible pumps use. They never rust or corrode and need no protection from saltwater. BUT they are very weak magnets.

The Vortech use neodymium magnets because they are very strong.

The down fall with neodymium magnets is that they rust/corrode very easily so they have to be coated with some sort of protection. If that protective layer gets compromised in any way and saltwater gets to the magnet it will cause it to rust/corrode and expand, which has happened on some vortechs.

If they built the vortechs with ceramic magnets they would not work!

and there would never have been a need to coat them with anything...they have never been built like this.

I would like to add that you are only seeing more complainants.....well because more and more vortechs are in use now than years ago.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 06:38 PM   #8
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveafish View Post

Your information is 100% incorrect. Jamie hit the nail on the head. The magnets haven't changed that I am aware of, the style of the wet side changed but as far as I've seen it's for the better. If the coating is compromised the magnet will fail. Simple as that.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 07:46 AM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
If the coating is compromised the magnet will fail. Simple as that.
Yep, that about sums it up!

ETM do recommend that you NOT soak the magnet assembly in vinegar solution as it can degrade the plastic coating on the disc magnet.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 07:47 AM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Both of my Vortech MP40 Wet side units have magnets that have rusted flake expanded and sunk to the bottom of my tank 6 months apart.
I would be curious to know how old the wetsides were when they failed?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 09:19 PM   #11
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Simon,
I've had older wetsides running for 7~8 years on at least 4 units.

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2018, 09:22 PM   #12
pecan2phat
Registered Member

18 months sounds ridiculous, if impellers for your return pumps lasted only 18 months, there would be some serious revolting in this hobby!
( my 1st gen Octopus Water Blaster impellers did this and my revolting got me nowhere )

Unread 09/24/2018, 01:32 PM   #13
Zosyn
Registered Member

What is recommended for cleaning the wet side?

Zosyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 03:56 PM   #14
outssider
Registered Member

I use bleach/water soak first to kill algae then vinegar soak for the calcium/coraline...then take apart and clean with brush

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 09:24 PM   #15
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Just pull the magnet out before you soak it in vinegar. The magnet only needs a brush with tap water and is fine, it's the cage that needs to be soaked.

Unread 09/25/2018, 03:59 AM   #16
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat View Post
Just pull the magnet out before you soak it in vinegar. The magnet only needs a brush with tap water and is fine, it's the cage that needs to be soaked.

+1

I simply use an old tooth brush and hot water on the impeller/magnet. The rest of the wetside I will soak in vinegar. Mine are going on 4 years with no replacing of the wetside and the magnets/casing is still 100% intact.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2019, 09:08 AM   #17
markaren
Registered Member

Mine are pretty old. At least 3 years.