Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2009, 08:26 PM   #226
jayelblock
Registered Member

Hello all,
from 1988-1991 I had a state-of-the-art FOWLR system (crushed coral substrate, canister filter w/bioballs, dechlorinated tap water). Amazing that anything lived! I moved every 2-3 years thereafter and haven't had a tank since.

Looking to get back into it within the next year, so I'm just starting my research. Probably looking at a 75 or so, but those nanos sure have appeal.

Anyway, I'll just be taking it all in.
jb

jayelblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2009, 08:34 PM   #227
Aquarist007
Registered Member

To Reef Central

I guess the hobby is your blood like the rest of us

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2009, 09:31 PM   #228
piratecockers
Registered Member

Hello,
Only been an enthusiast for a few months. Ran into a ton of problems in the begining. We didn't have internet or money for books. I did a little bit of research but made a very uniformed decision to start a reef tank. Lets just say thank god I only lost two fish in my stupidity. Pull my head out and have it all running correctly and happy to say its going great. I have a 29 gallon swim tank right now. I am currently saving up to put live rock in the aquarium. It currently houses 2 Ocellaris clownfish, I believe they just decided thier genders, 2 Yellowtailed Blue Damsels, and a Blue-green Chromis. Decided to join to get some information and because I am a bit afraid of our clown fish breeding. No offense but I am so not ready for them to, nor do I want to be responsible for the deaths of the fry if they do.

Anyways so joined for some major help. I have a lot of time on my hands, and I do monitor the Aquairum like a hawk.

Anyways so ya thats my bit.
Rachel

piratecockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2009, 10:07 PM   #229
Aquarist007
Registered Member

To Reef Central

make sure you check the articles by WaterKeeper in the thread below this one--its a good place to start

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 05/09/2009, 10:26 PM   #230
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

piratecockers,
Don’t feel bad about the fry... look at it as free food for the tank inhabitants…. And welcome to RC

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2009, 01:30 AM   #231
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hello Rachel welcome to the forum, take a look at these 3 excellent threads, you will find them useful, i do, even now i still refer to them at times

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=346

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1031074

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/newbie/index.php

To Reef Central

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2009, 10:22 PM   #232
scottjm
Registered Member

Hello

Hello Everyone,

I have been out of the hobby since 1993. At that time i had a 130 ish gallon oceanic reef ready tank and a 50 ish gallon (can't remember the exact size) quarantine tank. I like a few previous posters have been out of the hobby due to moving around a lot the past 15 years. Finally, in 2009 I am finishing up building my first house.

While building the house I have accounted for a unfinished storage area to house a built in the wall salt water reef tank. I am definitely going to take my time and try to gather as much information as possible from all of the great resources on the reefcentral.com site.

I have truly been inspired over the last several weeks reading about peoples experiences in the large reef tank forum.

As far as planning is concerned, i am still contemplating a custom build tank to maximize the tight space or utilizing a 24 or 24.5 inch deep tank to allow adequate space to get in the back of the tank in the storage room. At any rate, i look forward to being a long time member of this community.

scottjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2009, 09:00 AM   #233
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hello scott, nice to see an experienced reefer here, things have changed abit over the last 16 years but im sure you will soon get back into the rhythm of things, welcome to the forum, nice to see you here.

To Reef Central

MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Unread 05/11/2009, 12:24 PM   #234
Tschupe
Registered Member

Question newbie

i've had a 30 gallon freshwater tank for 5 years now and i am lookin to start a reef tank. I'm a little intimidated, it sounds alot more complicated than freshwater. I want to start up a 55 to 75 gallon tank. If anyone could give me a list of equipment that i will need that would be great. I've read alot on RC so far and plan on reading alot more. Thanks!!

Tschupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2009, 01:24 PM   #235
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hey tschupe, have a look at this http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1526752 and welcome aboard

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 05/11/2009, 06:14 PM   #236
am944
Registered Member

Howdy everyone!

I'm totally new to the hobby. I decided to go with a reef tank for my first try. Luckily, one of my friends (and co-worker) has had his foot in the aquatic door for many years now, and is ready and willing to help me out. His most fervent suggestion was to join Reef Central, and here I am now. Still trying to get all my equipment, so I might have a question every so often. Look forward to meeting and talking to everyone!

Alan

am944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2009, 07:07 PM   #237
Tschupe
Registered Member

Talking new vs used equipment

Just starting up. Looking for any savings if possible. Is there any equipment that I can buy used,or is it wise to buy everything new.

Unread 05/11/2009, 08:19 PM   #238
dudley moray
sisternofuselessknowledge

well i ve been here since march i think and just saw this thread so here goes i'm chris i live in orillia ontario and iam a gc i also install and build aquariums big and small ive been keeping fish since i was a wee lad my(my dads) first reef was in 85 i think ,it was a total failure so he and i went back to fresh and now that my dad doesn't do it any more i thought i would read up and make it work (our failure was lighting ) and since september of 08 with a 10 gal reef then in november with a 40 gal b that has now turned into a 65 and i also have a eel in a 30 with a sump /. i consider myself a habitual researcher and can never know enough about anything (after watching the mummy movie i read everything the local museum had on egypt to see if they were telling the truth ...they weren't )any way if i come off as a know it all i am and iam always right mostly

Current Tank Info: 90 gal south pacific biotope 40 gal sump/fuge ,65 gal rebuilding
dudley moray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2009, 09:10 PM   #239
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by am944
Howdy everyone!

I'm totally new to the hobby. I decided to go with a reef tank for my first try. Luckily, one of my friends (and co-worker) has had his foot in the aquatic door for many years now, and is ready and willing to help me out. His most fervent suggestion was to join Reef Central, and here I am now. Still trying to get all my equipment, so I might have a question every so often. Look forward to meeting and talking to everyone!

Alan

To Reef Central

we will look forward to helping you out

Unread 05/11/2009, 09:14 PM   #240
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Re: new vs used equipment

Quote:
Originally posted by Tschupe
Just starting up. Looking for any savings if possible. Is there any equipment that I can buy used,or is it wise to buy everything new.

To Reef Central

I would first look at whys thread on what you need in this forum

There is nothing wrong with buying used--acutally try and look for complete systems including live rock lightinng and proteins skimmers ect ect
two places to try
www.craigslist.com

www.kijiji.com

it you find a deal then post it here---some of the guys will let you know if it is good or not.

Unread 05/11/2009, 09:15 PM   #241
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dudley moray
well i ve been here since march i think and just saw this thread so here goes i'm chris i live in orillia ontario and iam a gc i also install and build aquariums big and small ive been keeping fish since i was a wee lad my(my dads) first reef was in 85 i think ,it was a total failure so he and i went back to fresh and now that my dad doesn't do it any more i thought i would read up and make it work (our failure was lighting ) and since september of 08 with a 10 gal reef then in november with a 40 gal b that has now turned into a 65 and i also have a eel in a 30 with a sump /. i consider myself a habitual researcher and can never know enough about anything (after watching the mummy movie i read everything the local museum had on egypt to see if they were telling the truth ...they weren't )any way if i come off as a know it all i am and iam always right mostly

To Reef Central

Nice to welcome a fellow Ontarian

Unread 05/11/2009, 09:37 PM   #242
Tschupe
Registered Member

Smile capn

Thanks capn. I love this sight, so many nice helpful people.

Unread 05/11/2009, 10:16 PM   #243
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Re: capn

Quote:
That's for sure.... RC is a wealth of knowledge.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 08:28 AM   #244
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Re: capn

Quote:
He obviously hasn't run into me yet.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 09:15 AM   #245
mjhooyer1
Registered Member

Hello everyone

Hello everyone. New to the hobby. I have a 29 gallon tank with just live rock and some fish right now. Basic equipment with 2 powerheads, 150 w heater, hang on filter, and basic lighting. Thanks for having me. Any suggestions or tips would be wonderful..

mjhooyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2009, 11:00 AM   #246
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

hey there mjhooyer, nice to see you posting, well i always suggest waterkeepers basic new to the hobby starter thread here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1031074 and russ schultz article here http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-10/newbie/index.php and of course the capn_s fantastic log book here http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=346.

anything else just ask, we will be happy to help.

To Reef Central

MIKE

Unread 05/13/2009, 09:47 AM   #247
Roody
Registered Member

Hey everyone. Nice site you got here. I look forward to posting while learning as much as possible from everyone.

Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2009, 10:30 AM   #248
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

Hi Roody

To Reef Central

Hope we can help you in your new adventure in reefkeeping.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2009, 10:52 AM   #249
FragStealerOK
Moved On

Oklahoma City here! I am new to the hobby for saltwater, and look forward to crashing a few tanks in the near future.

J/k, I will start my thread soon.

FragStealerOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2009, 11:05 AM   #250
Roody
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
Hi Roody

To Reef Central

Hope we can help you in your new adventure in reefkeeping.
Thanks WaterKeeper. I appreciate that.

Roody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral