Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2011, 10:07 PM   #51
DocG
Premium Member

Where does the air from the skimmer vent? Are there holes in the top of the lid of the collection cup? If there are, just cut some carbon filter pads and put them over the vent holes. That should get rid of the ozone smell. That is how I do it and it works just fine.

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon SPS reef (home), 95 gallon (115 total) mixed reef (office)
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2011, 10:24 PM   #52
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

I actually poured carbon into a mesh bag and placed it in the riser tube so it had to pass through it.

65g - Radion XR30 G3 Pro x2 - Deltec SCA 1351 - APEX - Tunze - Vortech
t4zalews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2011, 10:30 PM   #53
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

Im gunna try keeping my ph above 8.4. My tank naturally runs at 8.4 at the end of the day so I'll just maintain it from there. Im gunna use limewater I guess. I'm dosing alk with a doser...should I stop it and only dose limewater? I'm thinking about setting up my doser to dose the limewater when my Ph hits 8.41 and stop it when it hits 8.45. will this work and not throw my alk out of whack?

Unread 02/11/2011, 11:35 PM   #54
bertoni
RC Mod

Ozone can be a problem, so I would have shut it off, too.

Unread 02/12/2011, 09:19 AM   #55
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

Im actually pretty bumbed because I really wanted to use it. But worrying if ozone is leaking into the air will drive me crazy.

Unread 02/12/2011, 12:44 PM   #56
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

unhooked the unit and set up some new carbon in my reactor and going lights off for a day. The dino's were really bad yesterday.

Does limewater effect alkalinity? Im gunna try elevated Ph. If it does not effect alk..ill just unhook my calcium pump and dose it with that pump. Ill place the Ph probe in the main tank so that it isnt effected by the high sump ph

Unread 02/12/2011, 05:29 PM   #57
turbo21
Registered Member

putting the carbon on top of your skimmer lid will remove the excess ozone venting out. i would only be worried if you could smell that bleach like ozone smell strongly when you enter the room

bob

turbo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2011, 05:52 PM   #58
bertoni
RC Mod

Limewater adds calcium and alkalinity to the system.

Unread 02/12/2011, 08:19 PM   #59
gwhunter
Registered Member

I battled dino myself for about three months. I tried everything suggested here and on the web. Nothing seemed to make any difference. Until I read about hydrogen peroxide dosing. I started running Seachem Seagel in my filter. I also dosed 5ml per 10g once a day just before the lights went out. I didn't alter the photoperiod at all. I did no water changes just topped off with ro/di. In about 3 weeks I noticed the dino lessen little by little. Now it's gone an I've got coraline coming in fast. I also started to put bleach in my washer while I washed my filter socks. I hope this may help you in your battle.

Matt

gwhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2011, 09:16 PM   #60
jkopp36
Registered Member

On day 2 of peroxide dosing. Did 0.5ml/10g last night and 1ml/10g today. I haven't noticed much of anything yet besides my ORP dives deep right afterward but bounces back higher than ever and one type of zoas in the tank close up immediately but reopen in full within a half hour or so. I'll update again once something happens - good or bad.

jkopp36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2011, 06:12 AM   #61
gwhunter
Registered Member

I should have mentioned my zoa's also closed up for about an hr while I was dosing. Nothing else seemed to be affected. It did not kill my other algea's in fact the coraline took off when I started dosing.

Matt

gwhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2011, 05:28 PM   #62
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

Im interested in this hydrogen peroxide now. My tank cant look any worse, so might as well give it a shot.

Unread 02/13/2011, 07:15 PM   #63
sneeyatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4zalews View Post
Im interested in this hydrogen peroxide now. My tank cant look any worse, so might as well give it a shot.
Gotta give things a chance man, can't rush into anything.

I recommend the peroxide, but don't expect to see result for at least a week or so. Go lights out for 2 or 3 days, skim wet and run socks if you can and let it do it's thing.

Oh BTW - go out, spend the buck and get a new bottle. If you have any laying around the house and if it's old, it turns to water over time and you won't be doing anything.

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2011, 08:17 PM   #64
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

I take it u just add it to your sump area? I'm already doing a lights out period right now to weaken it a little bit. I'm thinking about dosing 5 mL

Unread 02/14/2011, 08:58 AM   #65
sneeyatch
Registered Member

5 ml should be ok to start. I added it to my sump, directly to the display with no issues. I can only recommend you add it to an area of higher flow.

Unread 02/14/2011, 09:14 AM   #66
brgmini
Registered Member

I have been battling Dinos for 3 months now. Dont know where they came from or how to get rid of them. All my water parameters are in check.

I have read this whole thread and found it to be very helpful. Going to try dosing Peroxide, but I am going to start with a low dose.

Tagging along.

brgmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2011, 10:30 AM   #67
sneeyatch
Registered Member

Good luck.

I've heard that dino's actually thrive in lower nutrient systems, which could be why everyone's parameters are in check and they still have issues. The trend with fighting dino's is everyone starts skimming wet, changing their carbon and GFO more frequently, dripping kalk to raise pH, vodka dosing and in some cases ozone and changing out socks. It seems that people are tending to strip mine their systems trying to get rid of them, when only I've heard it just helps them right along. Vodka dosing especially, it's like adding fuel to the fire.

Anyway - keep us posted. Good luck.

Unread 02/14/2011, 10:38 AM   #68
brgmini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeyatch View Post
Good luck.

I've heard that dino's actually thrive in lower nutrient systems, which could be why everyone's parameters are in check and they still have issues. The trend with fighting dino's is everyone starts skimming wet, changing their carbon and GFO more frequently, dripping kalk to raise pH, vodka dosing and in some cases ozone and changing out socks. It seems that people are tending to strip mine their systems trying to get rid of them, when only I've heard it just helps them right along. Vodka dosing especially, it's like adding fuel to the fire.

Anyway - keep us posted. Good luck.
Yeah i have heard similar on these boards and others. The problem is nobody seems to be able to say, "I did this, and the dinos went away". It is always a whole combination of things.

I am not sure what else to do so i guess it is time for the more iffy treatments. I am just so sick of them and all my snails are dieing and now the stuff is starting to grow all over my live rock and infringing on my corals....

Unread 02/14/2011, 10:40 AM   #69
turbo21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgmini View Post
Yeah i have heard similar on these boards and others. The problem is nobody seems to be able to say, "I did this, and the dinos went away". It is always a whole combination of things.

I am not sure what else to do so i guess it is time for the more iffy treatments. I am just so sick of them and all my snails are dieing and now the stuff is starting to grow all over my live rock and infringing on my corals....
the new method that seems to be working for a bunch of people is what we have described above.

run filter socks
lights off for 3-4 days
dose peroxide

not very much trouble to do those 3 things?

Unread 02/14/2011, 10:45 AM   #70
brgmini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo21 View Post
the new method that seems to be working for a bunch of people is what we have described above.

run filter socks
lights off for 3-4 days
dose peroxide

not very much trouble to do those 3 things?
No it is not the trouble part that makes me nervous, it is dosing with peroxide.... just not sure what if any side effects would be. but based on all the results in this thread i am ready to do it.

Sorry to threadjack.

Thanks for the help.

Unread 02/14/2011, 10:48 AM   #71
turbo21
Registered Member

no problem,

i have read quite a bit about peroxide here and on some other boards and have heard of no one losing any livestock. except in the case of a huge overdose

bob

Unread 02/14/2011, 10:55 AM   #72
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

I was reading randy's article about ORP and i believe hydrogen peroxide does the same as ozone, but it safer to use...in terms of human element. Caution still needs to be applied when dosing your tank with peroxide. I feel that you'd see warning signs in your tank before anything drastic happened. So I'm just gunna start slow and see what happens. Like I said earlier..my tank couldnt look any worse as it does now, I'm already losing corals to it so if I lose any corals during the dosing it wouldnt be a huge loss.

Unread 02/14/2011, 01:16 PM   #73
sneeyatch
Registered Member

Agreed. Look for the typical issues - fish breathing heavy or swimming erratic. Corals closing up (except zoanthids or palys - they WILL close up for a half hour or so).

The reaction happens very quickly when added to the tank and separates into Oxygen and water. I believe the reaction is what makes the ORP drop and the the sharp rise is the result of the increased oxygen levels after the reaction.

Unread 02/14/2011, 06:21 PM   #74
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

I just dosed 5 mL to my overflow that goes down to the sump. My ORP plummeted from 324 - 278. My fish seem fine nothing is closing up.

Unread 02/14/2011, 06:34 PM   #75
bertoni
RC Mod

There are a lot of influences on ORP. One possibility is that the hydrogen peroxide breaks apart cell walls and perhaps other structures, releasing the organic contents into the water column. Hydrogen peroxide by itself should increase ORP, but our systems have a lot of elements in them.