Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/26/2012, 04:25 AM   #2251
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfw ntsw View Post
hi all im setting up a 30 gal nano cube and only want two fish and maybe a third with your blessing

1- picasso or near all white clown(really wanted a black but seem to aggressive)
1- green mandairin dragonet
1or2- ?

the lfs said he feeds his with copepode right out of a bottle
You would never be able to afford feeding a mandarin from purchased copepods. I can see why a LFS would try to sell you that. 75 gallon tank for that fish

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:00 AM   #2252
rogermccray
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
125 gallons is the suggested minimum for a group of anthias. I would stick to only one species of anthias and would skip the chromis
One more question on this....I actually currently have a ~200 bowfront tank
(72"x18"-24"x30") and was contemplating a down grade to a 125, would groups of different anthias work in a 205 or would you still stick with only one kind?

I was thinking
4x carberryi anthias
4x resplendent anthias

The rest of the proposed stocking list is as follows.
Occelaris Clown (currently in the system)
Chevron Tang
Red Mandarin (I have a refugium that has been online for sevenmonths now)
blue/green chromis (currently in the system)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Gold Assessor Basslet (Assessor flavissimus)
Lawnmower Blenny (currently in the system)

Inverts
Pink Anemone (currently in the system)
Fire Shrimp (currently in the system)
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp x2

Thanks again! Sorry for asking about the same setup a few times, I just want to check all my options before I decide to do something and then come to regret that choice.

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:55 AM   #2253
CHG107
Registered Member

Tank is a 45 gallon reef. About 40 pounds of live rock, bh100f skimmer which is rated for 80 gallon and an aqua clear 50 refugium mod. I just want to know if I will be a bit overstocked with all these fish. Currently have two ocellaris clowns, a small chromis and a court jesters goby. Three fish I would like to add to the list are a royal gramma, Dracula goby, and eventually a copperband butterfly. Would all these fish get along ok and if I added slowly would my tank be ok or will it be overstocked? Total would be 7 fish in the end.

Unread 04/26/2012, 12:32 PM   #2254
elcucuu
Registered Member

Hi I would like to get your feedback on a stocking list for a 90g that is currently cycling. It will become mixed reef of sps, lps, etc.

CUC mostly snails and a few scarlet red hermits
2 blood red fire shrimp
2 Purple and Yellow Nudibranch

Fish list
1 Picasso Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
1 Snowflake Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)
1 Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis)
1 African Exquisite Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus exquisitus)
1 Blue Mandarin (Pterosynchiropus splendidus) (after 9 months)

Most of the information I've read say all of these fish are reef safe. Are they really and will I have any compatiblity issues?

Thanks
Ed

Unread 04/26/2012, 12:34 PM   #2255
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermccray View Post
One more question on this....I actually currently have a ~200 bowfront tank
(72"x18"-24"x30") and was contemplating a down grade to a 125, would groups of different anthias work in a 205 or would you still stick with only one kind?

Would be ok, but I personally would have all carberryi; mixing would be better in an 8 foot tank

I was thinking
4x carberryi anthias
4x resplendent anthias

The rest of the proposed stocking list is as follows.
Occelaris Clown (currently in the system)
Chevron Tang
Red Mandarin (I have a refugium that has been online for sevenmonths now)
blue/green chromis (currently in the system)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Gold Assessor Basslet (Assessor flavissimus)
Lawnmower Blenny (currently in the system)

Inverts
Pink Anemone (currently in the system)
Fire Shrimp (currently in the system)
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp x2

Thanks again! Sorry for asking about the same setup a few times, I just want to check all my options before I decide to do something and then come to regret that choice.
Otherwise, that stocking list would be fine in the 205g

Unread 04/26/2012, 12:37 PM   #2256
rogermccray
Registered Member

Quote:
Otherwise, that stocking list would be fine in the 205g
It is not imperative for me to have two different groups so I think I will just stick with my original thought of at least four carberryi.

Once again thank you for your help.

Unread 04/26/2012, 12:37 PM   #2257
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG107 View Post
Tank is a 45 gallon reef. About 40 pounds of live rock, bh100f skimmer which is rated for 80 gallon and an aqua clear 50 refugium mod. I just want to know if I will be a bit overstocked with all these fish. Currently have two ocellaris clowns, a small chromis and a court jesters goby. Three fish I would like to add to the list are a royal gramma, Dracula goby, and eventually a copperband butterfly. Would all these fish get along ok and if I added slowly would my tank be ok or will it be overstocked? Total would be 7 fish in the end.
Well, given that the minimum recommended tank size for a copperband is 50 gallons, I would suggest that would not work. But the rest would work.

Unread 04/26/2012, 12:43 PM   #2258
CHG107
Registered Member

Instead of the butterfly would a flame angel work then if I put him in last? I just don't want my tank to be overstocked with 7 fish is all. I was considering the butterfly but if my tank is a bit to small I am just as happy with a flame angel in it's place if it will work.

Unread 04/26/2012, 12:51 PM   #2259
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG107 View Post
Instead of the butterfly would a flame angel work then if I put him in last? I just don't want my tank to be overstocked with 7 fish is all. I was considering the butterfly but if my tank is a bit to small I am just as happy with a flame angel in it's place if it will work.
That should work. Also a MUCH easier fish with greater chance of success.

Unread 04/26/2012, 03:02 PM   #2260
raylinds
Registered Member

My tank is still in the planning/setup stages, but want to start thinking about fish.

Tank is 95g 36 X 24 X 24. I plan on mixed reef with mainly LPS and softs. about 2" of medium course sand.

1 Percula Clownfish
1 Purple Firefish
2 Gold Assessor Basslets
2 or 3 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses (I know they're jumpers)
1 Catalina Goby
1 Orange Stripe Prawn Goby

And when tank is at least 6 months cycled and stable, a Red Mandarin Dragonet.

Now the contraversial ones:
1 Flame Angel, I know they are a risk in a reef, but I had one in my reef that I had over ten years ago, and it was no problem.

I would love a Yellow Tang, but not sure if tank provides enough space.

Thanks,
Ray

Unread 04/26/2012, 03:42 PM   #2261
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylinds View Post
My tank is still in the planning/setup stages, but want to start thinking about fish.

Tank is 95g 36 X 24 X 24. I plan on mixed reef with mainly LPS and softs. about 2" of medium course sand.

1 Percula Clownfish
1 Purple Firefish
2 Gold Assessor Basslets I doubt that two will work
2 or 3 Carpenter's Flasher Wrasses (I know they're jumpers)
1 Catalina Goby requires cooler water than the vast majority of people keep their tanks
1 Orange Stripe Prawn Goby

And when tank is at least 6 months cycled and stable, a Red Mandarin Dragonet.

Now the contraversial ones:
1 Flame Angel, I know they are a risk in a reef, but I had one in my reef that I had over ten years ago, and it was no problem.

It is a roll of the dice with LPS. Your choice, I would not

I would love a Yellow Tang, but not sure if tank provides enough space. gallonage is ok, sort of. But they are aggressive so it MUST be the last fish added

Thanks,
Ray

Unread 04/26/2012, 05:12 PM   #2262
raylinds
Registered Member

Thanks, you saved me (and especially the fish) a lot of grief. I will probably take your advice and pass on the angel and consider myself lucky with the last tank.
Probably the Tang, too- marginal size and could disrupt the peace of the community.

Definitrly taking the other advice.
Regards,
Ray

Last edited by raylinds; 04/26/2012 at 05:18 PM.
Unread 04/26/2012, 06:34 PM   #2263
JMFC
Registered Member

I have a 29 gallon tank. 35lbs of live rock, 40lbs of live sand, 2-75gph powerheads, 100w heater. Lighting is Coralife 100w T5's one daylight and the other blue on an 8 hour timer. Currently there have been some hitchhikers several starfish and feather dusters. I would like to house:

2 Clowns havent decided which type
1 Watchman goby
1 of whatever shrimp buddies up with the goby.

I would also like to add easier to grow corals as I learn how to keep them. Currently I'm on my second week of cycle and it sucks waiting. Thinking about starting up a qt tank just for something else to focus on. Any Do's or Don'ts that I should be aware of?
Thanks JMFC

Unread 04/26/2012, 07:44 PM   #2264
fng_71
Registered Member

i have a 125 gallon with 30 g fuge. protein skimmer in fuge. gl*******s 1500gph overflow with 2, 3/4 inch returns with flared nozzle. plan on a mixed reef softies shrooms some lps. plan on a 3" sand bed with 100# of dry rock and 15# live rock.

fish i like

puffers
wrasses
clowns
tangs
dwarf angels
bennies

also like the little critters like snails.

sorry if its to vague i'm looking for recomendations so i know what direction before i go all in.

thanks, mike

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:18 PM   #2265
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFC View Post
I have a 29 gallon tank. 35lbs of live rock, 40lbs of live sand, 2-75gph powerheads, 100w heater. Lighting is Coralife 100w T5's one daylight and the other blue on an 8 hour timer. Currently there have been some hitchhikers several starfish and feather dusters. I would like to house:

2 Clowns havent decided which type
1 Watchman goby
1 of whatever shrimp buddies up with the goby.

I would also like to add easier to grow corals as I learn how to keep them. Currently I'm on my second week of cycle and it sucks waiting. Thinking about starting up a qt tank just for something else to focus on. Any Do's or Don'ts that I should be aware of?
Thanks JMFC
I think your stock list is fine but be careful about clown type as some are super aggressive once sexually mature. There are a lot of stickies about quarantine and related but I won't repeat that information here.

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:19 PM   #2266
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng_71 View Post
i have a 125 gallon with 30 g fuge. protein skimmer in fuge. gl*******s 1500gph overflow with 2, 3/4 inch returns with flared nozzle. plan on a mixed reef softies shrooms some lps. plan on a 3" sand bed with 100# of dry rock and 15# live rock.

fish i like

puffers
wrasses
clowns
tangs
dwarf angels
bennies

also like the little critters like snails.

sorry if its to vague i'm looking for recomendations so i know what direction before i go all in.

thanks, mike
Sorry Mike, I never provide recommendations but would be happy to provide commentary on any stocking list provided.

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:26 PM   #2267
fng_71
Registered Member

thank you i'm sure i'll post again

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:28 PM   #2268
UlandaUnicorn
Registered Member

Not sure what to get...

I've had a small fish only salt water tank for almost 4 years; about 2 years ago I decided I wanted to go reef, so as my original fish started to die off (natural causes, I assure you) I didn't replace them. The only fish I have left are two engineer gobies of large size, approximately 12 inches each, and a scooter dragonet. The interesting thing is that my engineers ate some chromis I added to the tank not too long ago, but they don't bother my dragonet. I know the engineers are too large for my tank (I got them as cute little babies) but I can't completely dismantle my 75lbs of live rock, which I set up specifically so they can't destroy my tank, without almost completely starting over. Any ideas or thoughts of what might be compatible?

Current Tank Info: 48 gallon Fish Only tank, Rapids Pro Series Wet/Dry Filter System w/venturi protein skimmer; Coralife Aqualight HO T-5 Dual Lamp Aquarium Light Fixture w/39w blue actinic and 10,000k daylight; Marineland Maxi-Jet 600 PRO Water Pump
Unread 04/26/2012, 08:29 PM   #2269
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fng_71 View Post
thank you i'm sure i'll post again
I am always here to provide commentary about compatibility with the environment provided and with the stocking list.

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:33 PM   #2270
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlandaUnicorn View Post
I've had a small fish only salt water tank for almost 4 years; about 2 years ago I decided I wanted to go reef, so as my original fish started to die off (natural causes, I assure you) I didn't replace them. The only fish I have left are two engineer gobies of large size, approximately 12 inches each, and a scooter dragonet. The interesting thing is that my engineers ate some chromis I added to the tank not too long ago, but they don't bother my dragonet. I know the engineers are too large for my tank (I got them as cute little babies) but I can't completely dismantle my 75lbs of live rock, which I set up specifically so they can't destroy my tank, without almost completely starting over. Any ideas or thoughts of what might be compatible?
Tough call as these get to be 12 inches at maturity, but yours may still be growing, and they are carnivores. I would take them out. I really don't know what to put with them especially in a smallish tank.

Unread 04/26/2012, 08:43 PM   #2271
UlandaUnicorn
Registered Member

Quote:
Tough call as these get to be 12 inches at maturity, but yours may still be growing, and they are carnivores. I would take them out. I really don't know what to put with them especially in a smallish tank.
Yuck. That's how big they are now. I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 48 gallon Fish Only tank, Rapids Pro Series Wet/Dry Filter System w/venturi protein skimmer; Coralife Aqualight HO T-5 Dual Lamp Aquarium Light Fixture w/39w blue actinic and 10,000k daylight; Marineland Maxi-Jet 600 PRO Water Pump
Unread 04/26/2012, 08:55 PM   #2272
elcucuu
Registered Member

Steve did you reply to this post?

Hi I would like to get your feedback on a stocking list for a 90g that is currently cycling. It will become mixed reef of sps, lps, etc.

2 blood red fire shrimp

Fish list

Most of the information I've read say all of these fish are reef safe. Are they really and will I have any compatiblity issues?

Thanks
Ed

Unread 04/26/2012, 09:35 PM   #2273
sixty4tw
Registered Member

Which Flasher Wrasse?

I'm currently cycling a new tank a 29g cube which will be FOWLR, finally upgrading my old acrylic hex tank. The only livestock I still have is my Yellow Watchman Goby. Once the tank is cycled I will be adding one fish about every two months, maxing out at 4 or 5.

I prefer peaceful community fish and I have been wanting to get a Flasher Wrasse for a while. It seems there are so many and they are so similar. Based on what is available at my local LFS (2 or 3 that I use) I am trying to decide between:

Blue Flasher
Line Spot Flasher
Filamented Flasher

No one locally is currently stocking the Carpenter's Flasher or McCosker's Flasher, but I will certainly consider those if available.

I would like to know your thoughts on all of them. I'm aware that they have a high metabolism and need to be feed frequently and also tht they are jumpers (my tank is completely covered).

I'm looking for a peaceful but active fish that has personality and will get along with future additions, which will all be non-agressive community fish.

Which do you think is the best, and perhaps hardiest?

Thanks!

Unread 04/27/2012, 05:07 AM   #2274
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcucuu View Post
Steve did you reply to this post?

Sometimes when the pages change, I get confused when multiple people ask at the same time. So, sadly I may have missed it. So sorry.

2 blood red fire shrimp

Nudibranchs are obligate feeders on one very specific item; when that runs out they die. With rare exceptions, they should not be attempted. By the way, there are hundreds of nudibranch species so "purple and yellow" fits many

Fish list

Yes, they are reef compatible and no issues.

Thanks
Ed

Unread 04/27/2012, 05:11 AM   #2275
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4tw View Post
I'm currently cycling a new tank a 29g cube which will be FOWLR, finally upgrading my old acrylic hex tank. The only livestock I still have is my Yellow Watchman Goby. Once the tank is cycled I will be adding one fish about every two months, maxing out at 4 or 5.

I prefer peaceful community fish and I have been wanting to get a Flasher Wrasse for a while. It seems there are so many and they are so similar. Based on what is available at my local LFS (2 or 3 that I use) I am trying to decide between:

Blue Flasher
Line Spot Flasher
Filamented Flasher

Flasher wrasses really require and minimum of a 50 gallon tank and for multiple ones, even larger.

No one locally is currently stocking the Carpenter's Flasher or McCosker's Flasher, but I will certainly consider those if available.

I would like to know your thoughts on all of them. I'm aware that they have a high metabolism and need to be feed frequently and also tht they are jumpers (my tank is completely covered).

I'm looking for a peaceful but active fish that has personality and will get along with future additions, which will all be non-agressive community fish.

Which do you think is the best, and perhaps hardiest?

Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility