Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/20/2015, 03:13 PM   #1326
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

my hawaiian harlequin was fine until i dosed H2O2...he died shortly thereafter

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2015, 03:56 AM   #1327
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
This could play a part in the low calcium readings and coral growth problems.
Wow, this organism needs to knock it off already! Bad enough it can make several toxins AND glow in the dark.

(I've been sticking my hands in my tank..really got to stop doing that)

Ivy

Why is RC either not posting my sig, or posting 2 versions of it?

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15

Last edited by Quiet_Ivy; 07/21/2015 at 03:57 AM. Reason: my signature is weird
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 08:09 AM   #1328
DNA
Registered Member

To follow up with my squeaky clean rocks I vacuumed the sandbed thoroughly four days in a row, just to see if detritus plays any part in how dinos resettle on the sand.

In 24 hours they are back at the same density and coverage as the the day before.

The conclusion is that detritus has no effect.

---

This is contradictory to the nutrients theory from oceanographers.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 11:16 AM   #1329
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

Figured I'd jump on this post. Have a bad case of it,

things I've tried:

Sucking out all of the sand and going BB ---- No effect dinos cover glass bottom same as if it were sand.

Currently trying blackout treatment ---- On day 2 dinos still there but not growing, will suck all of them out after 4 day blackout and see what happens.

Going to install a sump on Saturday with a new eshopps skimmer and attach a coralife UV sterilizer to the return line and see if it does any damage.

Will keep updated.

Unread 07/22/2015, 11:50 AM   #1330
DNA
Registered Member

dustinkimpel:

We have a rich and diverse plankton theme going now.
Since some have reported dino blooms after decimating the plankton with algae killers it sounds logical.

I'm getting a bucket of filthy sandbed next week and 80 pounds of live rock when ever that will be available over here.

Unread 07/22/2015, 12:07 PM   #1331
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

Hmm. I will probably go to that next, I'm also thinking about the H202 treatment but I have a cleaner shrimp that will probably have to be moved during it from what I've been reading. Anyone here have any luck with H202? There's a lot of people that swear its the miracle cure...

Unread 07/22/2015, 12:08 PM   #1332
scheel78
Registered Member

Quote:
dustinkimpel:

We have a rich and diverse plankton theme going now.
Since some have reported dino blooms after decimating the plankton with algae killers it sounds logical.

I'm getting a bucket of filthy sandbed next week and 80 pounds of live rock when ever that will be available over here.
I think the diverse plankton theme is the way to go. I've been battling dinos for over a year. I started a algae scrubber several months ago. The scrubber has been taking up all my nitrates and phosphates so two weeks ago I shut down my skimmer and started dosing phyto. since then my pod population has taken off and my dinos are almost gone. I'm done to a few strands on one rock in my 90 gallon tank.

scheel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 12:22 PM   #1333
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
To follow up with my squeaky clean rocks I vacuumed the sandbed thoroughly four days in a row, just to see if detritus plays any part in how dinos resettle on the sand.

In 24 hours they are back at the same density and coverage as the the day before.

The conclusion is that detritus has no effect.

---

This is contradictory to the nutrients theory from oceanographers.
I'm really leaning towards 'bacterial imbalance' or some other ecological system level disturbance.
Taking a turkey baster to everything sure spreads cyano well!
ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 07/22/2015, 12:23 PM   #1334
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
I have already dosed H2O2 5 times, 30 milliliters each day to my 300 gallons.
The day after the first dose there were noticeably more dinos than the day before. (Approx 50% more).

The dinos have also changed their appearance from almost all dusty before to much more stringy now.
It seems to me like the conditions for the dinos are better than before the H2O2 so I'm only doing one more dose tomorrow.
Ostreopsis eat peroxide for breakfast.

Unread 07/22/2015, 12:39 PM   #1335
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

I'm so fed up with this ugly bubbly snot...

Unread 07/22/2015, 12:39 PM   #1336
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

So you suggest I should try adding some pods to my sump when I get it installed?

Unread 07/22/2015, 01:00 PM   #1337
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinkimpel View Post

things I've tried:

Sucking out all of the sand and going BB ---- No effect dinos cover glass bottom same as if it were sand.

Currently trying blackout treatment ---- On day 2 dinos still there but not growing, will suck all of them out after 4 day blackout and see what happens.

Going to install a sump on Saturday with a new eshopps skimmer and attach a coralife UV sterilizer to the return line and see if it does any damage.

Will keep updated.

I have dinos and have been bare bottom since the beginning.

Two things I've noticed.

Dinos's and Cyano (as reported) can have some sort of symbiosis

Grows all over my rocks, corals and sides as well as on cyano.

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 01:01 PM   #1338
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheel78 View Post
I think the diverse plankton theme is the way to go. I've been battling dinos for over a year. I started a algae scrubber several months ago. The scrubber has been taking up all my nitrates and phosphates so two weeks ago I shut down my skimmer and started dosing phyto. since then my pod population has taken off and my dinos are almost gone. I'm done to a few strands on one rock in my 90 gallon tank.
What Phyto are you dosing?

I ordered the P&P package from algae barn, which should be here Thursday. I have a really small bio load in my 90 gallon. I have a Major Damsel and two Platinum Clowns. I have a Skimz monzter sm302 which I got to go on a larger tank when I upgrade and I think its just way to big for this tank and my bioload. It pulls a ton of gunk but it seems to impair my tanks balance. I never had dinos until I added it.

Unread 07/22/2015, 01:06 PM   #1339
scheel78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrnalnrsh View Post
There is a guy locally that grows it.

scheel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 01:16 PM   #1340
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheel78 View Post
There is a guy locally that grows it.
Cool, I am going to get some local too I think. Looking to go as diverse as possible

Unread 07/22/2015, 01:23 PM   #1341
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
I have dinos and have been bare bottom since the beginning.

Two things I've noticed.

Dinos's and Cyano (as reported) can have some sort of symbiosis

Grows all over my rocks, corals and sides as well as on cyano.
Me too. If I look carefully at my cyano, there's tons of dino in there. Cyano is a notorious nitrogen fixer, and many strains of it are diazotrophic (don't need organic or inorganic N, can make it from dissolved gas) so the dino are probably snagging some free food.

Unread 07/22/2015, 01:29 PM   #1342
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinkimpel View Post

things I've tried:

Will keep updated.
I've been doing repeated 3 day blackouts. No effect until this current one, which was attempt 4. They're not gone by any means, but it knocked them back. Oddly enough the cyano is a lot worse.

I went to salt water from fresh to experience managing an ecosystem..this is NOT what I meant. Stupid learning experiences, lol

ivy

Unread 07/22/2015, 01:37 PM   #1343
Hwobarg
Registered Member

I treated mine in 3 different systems like this.

Dose chemiclean as directed
Add carbon
blow off with turkey baster daily
Change socks daily
Treat with Pohls Coral Snow with a few drops of MB7 or Zeobak daily. After about 3 weeks no more dino...

At the first sign of a bubble dose again with CS and ZB

Hwobarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 02:30 PM   #1344
cal_stir
Registered Member

Quote:

I ordered the P&P package from algae barn, which should be here Thursday. I have a really small bio load in my 90 gallon. I have a Major Damsel and two Platinum Clowns. I have a Skimz monzter sm302 which I got to go on a larger tank when I upgrade and I think its just way to big for this tank and my bioload. It pulls a ton of gunk but it seems to impair my tanks balance. I never had dinos until I added it.
Check my post #1233 there are links to some of the critters I've been adding to my tank, I also culture and dose phytoplankton.
I went the dirty method.
I had Ostreopsis Ovata but now I'm dino free.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 02:50 PM   #1345
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
I've been doing repeated 3 day blackouts. No effect until this current one, which was attempt 4. They're not gone by any means, but it knocked them back. Oddly enough the cyano is a lot worse.

I went to salt water from fresh to experience managing an ecosystem..this is NOT what I meant. Stupid learning experiences, lol

ivy
Since Sunday, I have started feeding tons of frozen food (not rinsed), shut off my skimmer, I haven't done a water change in months or a test of any kind.

Thursday I am adding the phyto and pods from algaebarn and I am going to pick up pods / phyto near by.

Cleanup crew is pretty much a trochus snail and a peppermint shrimp. Not going to change anything there.

Unread 07/22/2015, 02:55 PM   #1346
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
Check my post #1233 there are links to some of the critters I've been adding to my tank, I also culture and dose phytoplankton.
I went the dirty method.
I had Ostreopsis Ovata but now I'm dino free.
Thx, I saw that post and its where I got the idea.

How bad was the tank and how long did it take to clear up.

I'd say 75% of my tank is covered.

EDIT: your link to IPSF looks copied paste from your PODS+
And I have an order of pods, worms, stars coming from IPSF
http://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/pods

I found http://ipsf.com/

Last edited by Adrnalnrsh; 07/22/2015 at 03:03 PM.
Unread 07/22/2015, 03:18 PM   #1347
Budman422
Registered Member

I found heavy feeding. Auto top off with kalkwasser and less water changes cleared my dinos.

Budman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 03:56 PM   #1348
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman422 View Post
I found heavy feeding. Auto top off with kalkwasser and less water changes cleared my dinos.
I too added Kalkwasser back

Unread 07/22/2015, 08:30 PM   #1349
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Since Sunday, I have started feeding tons of frozen food (not rinsed), shut off my skimmer, I haven't done a water change in months or a test of any kind.

Thursday I am adding the phyto and pods from algaebarn and I am going to pick up pods / phyto near by.

Cleanup crew is pretty much a trochus snail and a peppermint shrimp. Not going to change anything there.
I hope that works for you!
Feeding makes mine worse, but then I seem to have a really toxic strain. Whenever I siphon off more than 1/4 of the tank, I see waves of dead pods, bristleworms, etc. This is running fresh carbon, filterfloss, filter socks, skimming very wet. Microfauna no doubt the way to go, just find me a company who'll ship to Canada.

Did discover this morning that my hermit crab is in fact alive, he just moulted and switched shells. Don't know what the poor thing is eating in there, but go crabby!

ivy

Unread 07/22/2015, 08:39 PM   #1350
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwobarg View Post
I treated mine in 3 different systems like this.

Dose chemiclean as directed
Add carbon
blow off with turkey baster daily
Change socks daily
Treat with Pohls Coral Snow with a few drops of MB7 or Zeobak daily. After about 3 weeks no more dino...

At the first sign of a bubble dose again with CS and ZB
This is the Zeovit people's coral snow? I see a couple of brands with that name.

ivy