Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Tankjunkie0481
Registered Member

Clowns Hanging at the top.

About two weeks ago I purchased a pair of false percs and ever since I introduced them to the tank they have hung out in the top third of the tank. Its a JBJ 28 gallon nano. They are almost always near the top and usually in the back of the tank. Every other clown i've seen have always been near the bottom or at least in the bottom half of the tank. Any thoughts as to why they hang out near the top so much???

Tankjunkie0481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 01:19 AM   #2
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Mine do the same, they sleep atthe top next to a powerhead and return tube. Igot a bunch of rock in the tank and they don to near anything on it, kinda makes me think they know something about what's down there that I don't. They are real friendly tho and always greet me at the glass and stuff.

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 01:23 AM   #3
rathos
Registered Member

my clowns have been doing that since I moved them to their new tank. I went from a 55 to a 125 and now they hang at the top. They seem to like the flow from the return spouts.

rathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 04:22 AM   #4
mal7887
Registered Member

This is typical behavior. I've had a pair for about two years now and they hang out at the top as well.

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Current Tank Info: 190
mal7887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 06:29 AM   #5
Preston7
Registered Member

I've had pairs that do that, but only tank bred pairs. My wild clowns have never shown that behavior. I suspect it has something to do with breeding an odd gene.

Preston7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 06:38 AM   #6
sjwitt
Registered Member

May have to do with circulation and oxygen. How do you have your tank set up? Is there any circulation other than the siphon and return?

sjwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 06:54 AM   #7
jfarr
Registered Member

mine also hang at powerhead and inlet tube only started the last year out of three years

jfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Now that you mention it , mine are tank bred as well.

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 01:49 PM   #9
immortl
Registered Member

Mine did that too initially (in a 29g stock biocube) and it took me a little while to figure out why. They never wandered the full area of the tank. I believe, in my case, it was because of the hawkfish. Saw him charge at the clowns once when they tried to go lower in the tank. Once I removed the hawkfish from the tank, they started wandering all over the tank and were often in the lower 1/2 to near bottom. They really liked the candy cane coral and a rock with a hole through the center of it. They were quite active and all over the place.

While I was away for work one week, we had a brief spell of warm weather and the tank temp went up to 84 or so. Wife said the clowns were very active and the smaller (only slightly smaller) of the two was harassing the larger one a good bit. Next day the smaller one was dead (tank never went above 84 and temp dropped back to 78 once the a/c was turned on). We figure the smaller one pushed the larger one a little to far. Anyways, since that happened, the remaining clown does still wander the entire tank, but definitely has more of a propensity to hang around the upper rear of the tank near the input/output areas. Been reading and looking into how to best introduce another clown in the hopes of establishing another pairing and hopefully cheering up the clown (yes, anthropomorphism, but she really does seem sad).

Thanks,
Joe

immortl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 02:26 PM   #10
LitiGATOR
Registered Member

I bought a pair of tank-bred percs about a week ago. One of them paired with a carpet anemone within 24-hours, which I'm exuberant about. The other hangs out at the top in a corner and moves around the tank somewhat, but he certainly stays in that top corner for a disproportionate amount of the time. At night he nestles with the other clown in the carpet anemone.

I'd like for both clowns to stay in the anemone but don't know if that's going to happen.

LitiGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 02:37 PM   #11
SKurj
Registered Member

My tank bred clowns spend most of their time in the top third of the tank as well, and they sleep near the surface. They are juvies and I've had them a month. As they are TB they likely had never seen anything besides glass and a clay pot before going in your display.

Current Tank Info: 40g Long sumpless
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 02:51 PM   #12
sbazain
Registered Member

I have two osciolaris and their all over the tank if not their both constantly hosting the colt especially at night they sleep in it

sbazain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Tankjunkie0481
Registered Member

My setup is just a stock 28 gallon JBJ nano cube. The return nozzles in the rear of the tank are set to "criss cross" the water currents. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Its kinda frustrating that they always hang in the top half of the tank since both of my anemones have settled at the bottom an they seem to have no inclination to even try to associate with either one.

Tankjunkie0481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2012, 06:36 PM   #14
mmmm4life
Registered Member

My skunk clowns did for about a month and then they now are all over the tank. Heck they sometimes layed on there side sleeping thought they were dead. Dont have anemones in my tank but they use my giant glove polyps as there home now give them time and they will proly head to the bottom

Current Tank Info: 90 gal reef with 210 build at works
mmmm4life is offline   Reply With Quote