Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2016, 08:06 PM   #2826
undbulsu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Thanks for the advice. What kind of pods did you add and how many? And how often did you dose phyto? and how much?
Algaebarn only sells one pod mixture. It is a mixture of tiger and tisbe pods called Poseiden's feast. And I used their phytoplankton mixture called Oceanmagik per their instructions. 5ml/10 gallons 3-4 times a week to begin. I must say I am very impressed with both of their products.

I am also very impressed with the probidio products and will continue to use both in the future, but probably not as often, but on a regular schedule.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450, Geisemann aurora, Vertex 150
undbulsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 08:13 PM   #2827
reefcentral123
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefcentral123 View Post
hello. does anybody have a link to a resource for ID of the dinoflagellates? i saw a link earlier this page i will check that out but if there's any other resource please share.

what do you guys think of these bad boys?

my dino outbreak started from after i cleaned my sump and reduced phos to 0 and nitrates very fast and then dumping shot of vodka every night.

now i am feed much more, adding H2O2, phyto, and will culture copepods in the hopes of more competition and hostility environemtn for this annoying organisms.
also i forgot to mention if u guys think dimming the lights does anything? I have mostly blues on my hydra LED atm and like 5% white should I dim or keep the same?

reefcentral123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 08:19 PM   #2828
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
hello.

what do you guys think of these bad boys?
Ostreopsis ovata I think.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 08:34 PM   #2829
EdenR
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you gotten rid of yours?
It's been about a month so I don't know if they're completely gone but I do not see them. I only registered after seeing that advice to give/sell corals from a dino-infected tank. I simply felt that is extremely irresponsible akin to telling someone with AIDS to go ahead and have unprotected sex in hopes that their immune system will fight it off. Again, I've never had dinos before in 10 years and they exploded very shortly after introducing frags that came from a dino infested tank.

As for the method(s) I used, I did not want to use H2O2, AlgaeX, Dinoxal, raise ALK, or any extended blackouts as my corals would suffer too much. Once I realized what I had, I began doing my research which lead me to this thread. I started somewhere in the middle and read up on Montireef adding his skimmate back into the tank which worked for him but he didn't know why nor could replicate it. I read up on Porkchop's UV method so I borrowed one from a friend who has a pond. And then cal_stir had great success with his dirty method so I included that in my plan on attack. I wanted to use a multi-pronged approach that made sense - get them into the water stream through a short blackout, eradicate them with strong UV, and finish them off with competition. Basically these posts are the methods I used:

Montireef's magic skimmate: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=557

PorkChopExpress UV method: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...6#post23370006

cal_stir dirty method: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...6#post23951736

So thank you to those 3 pioneers for helping me with my problem!

EdenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 10:03 PM   #2830
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undbulsu View Post
I can only tell you what I did. I do have a BS in Microbiology and used that knowledge to try and approach this in a natural way. A newbie to reef aquariums, however,and my first bout of Dinos.

1. I decreased my photoperiod to 5 hours a day.
Less light, less growth

2. Started running GFO, Phosguard, and Carbon, changing out Phosguard and GFO once a week
Trying to get phosphates at 0 and keep them there

3. Added a Cermedia Marine Pure 8x8x4 block to the sump
Supposed to help get a larger population of nitrate reducing bacteria

4. Aggressive wet skimming. Replaced the skimmate with fresh saltwater.
Only water changes I did
Trying to deplete any other nutrients the dinos may be living on.

5. Siphoning the dinos into a filter sock in the sump every day.
Getting rid of as much of the population as I can while exporting any other nutrients they need to grow

6. Used Coral Snow mixed with Zeobak every morning before lights came on every day.
Coral Snow is supposed to adsorb organics from the water column and Zeobak are another bacteria source.

7. Dosed Probidio biodigest (bacteria) and bioptim once every week
More bacteria to compete with the dino

8. Phytoplankton and Pods from Algaebarn.
More competition

Much of what I did is also recommended as a treatment for Cyano.

After a month, lights are back up, no dinos and only lost half of a birdsnest coral to the dinos.

We'll see.
You took a very similar approach to what I'm taking, from the additional bacteria to the marine pure block to the phyto/pod combo. I hope I have success like you did.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 10:04 PM   #2831
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iced98lx View Post
You took a very similar approach to what I'm taking, from the additional bacteria to the marine pure block to the phyto/pod combo. I hope I have success like you did.
That marine pure block is like 50 bucks on amazon. damn

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 10:09 PM   #2832
iced98lx
Registered Member

$55.80 and free shipping. Unsure if it's expensive to you or cheap? I have quite a bit of rock so I don't think it'll play a huge role but I do not have any rock/ruble/whatever in my sump so I guess I can give it a shot.

Unread 01/26/2016, 10:13 PM   #2833
reefcentral123
Moved On

Quote:
$55.80 and free shipping. Unsure if it's expensive to you or cheap? I have quite a bit of rock so I don't think it'll play a huge role but I do not have any rock/ruble/whatever in my sump so I guess I can give it a shot.
i think it is expensive but i will buy it. because i have less than 1 lb LR/gal of water i think it'll help.

Unread 01/26/2016, 10:18 PM   #2834
dustinkimpel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinkimpel View Post
Pictures of my tank post dino:

Wow, you guys are still on this thread!!! Still fighting Dinos? Mine have never came back after the steps I took explained on Page 58. I kept my lights down very low and only on for 6 hours a day until recently so my corals all kinda shrunk a bit. But they are making a triumphant return... Instead of Dino i'm fighting my xenia.....

dustinkimpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 10:21 PM   #2835
iced98lx
Registered Member

It's not cheap for 4 lbs of dry rock but if it acts like 50 and is a place for competing bacteria to live I'm willing to try it!

Unread 01/26/2016, 10:27 PM   #2836
reefcentral123
Moved On

Quote:
It's not cheap for 4 lbs of dry rock but if it acts like 50 and is a place for competing bacteria to live I'm willing to try it!
do you know how many lbs of LR it equates to in terms of surface area?

Unread 01/26/2016, 11:33 PM   #2837
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
As I recall they claim an 8x8x1 plate is enough surface area for a 100 gallon tank.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 07:38 AM   #2838
csammis
Mental Institution

Quote:
Have no idea how to make my own.
Have you tried searching for "DIY filter sock" here? I searched this morning and turned up this post just for starters.

csammis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 08:34 AM   #2839
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
There's over 23,000 square feet of surface area within a single block. Depends on the LR. Not all LR is equal.

There's no LR that comes close to the porousity of the Cermedia blocks.

I think a block is equivalent to something around 50-100 lbs of good LR. Just a wild guess.

Lots of good info on cermedia's website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfanreefer View Post
As I recall they claim an 8x8x1 plate is enough surface area for a 100 gallon tank.
Depends on what you want to do.. Plates will house bacteria that consume ammonia and nitrites.

Plates can't house denitrifying bacteria. Only blocks can. Thicker = anaerobic bac in the middle = consume nitrates.

Unread 01/27/2016, 09:24 AM   #2840
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
Depends on what you want to do.. Plates will house bacteria that consume ammonia and nitrites.

Plates can't house denitrifying bacteria. Only blocks can. Thicker = anaerobic bac in the middle = consume nitrates.
This is why I went block, though plates and balls would have been easier to fit in places.

I've dosed about 1.5x the suggested bacteria in a bottle amounts, no cloudy tank this morning (I've had cloudy water WITHOUT dosing bottles though I couldn't absolutely be certain they were bacteria blooms) No appreciable change, though clearly 1 day in I'm not expecting one.

Unread 01/27/2016, 12:22 PM   #2841
karimwassef
Registered Member

I recommended selling or giving to a robust established tank. That assumes full disclosure and agreement of the buyer.

If you contracted dinos from a coral, then your tank was already susceptible to it. Most biodiversity mature tanks should not be.

I guess I should have been more clear. Established tanks are not the same as old tanks. Sometimes old tanks lose biodiversity as a few organisms win more over time and drive others into extinction. I suspect smaller tanks are more susceptible to this.

It's a fair point to share the history of the tank if you sell or give coral.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 01:14 PM   #2842
reefcentral123
Moved On

ah yes i Bought the block version too, the 8x8x4. ill be going to my lfs and buying a piece of rock from there too because i just realized i started out with only dry rock and apparently this is a contributing factor??

Unread 01/27/2016, 01:22 PM   #2843
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
this is a contributing factor??
Speculation, but logically if you have different kinds of bacteria (variety which may be found in the liverock bin at your local LFS, or not) it would be easier to out compete the dinos. If the answer were as simple as "this particular bacteria really overpowers Dino's" we'd probably have a bacteria in a bottle solution labeled as a "Cure" for dinoflagellates.

Unread 01/27/2016, 01:38 PM   #2844
reefcentral123
Moved On

yeah that makes sense.

are those bacteria in a bottle people are adding self sustainable in our aquarium or does it require redosing? do the strains reproduce or they slowly die off?

Unread 01/27/2016, 04:55 PM   #2845
mathman7728
Registered Member

another thing i tried was removing the LR that had dinos and basting the dino infested area of the LR with peroxide. i then returned the LR...i think it knocks it back so the dosing of beneficial bacteria can take over...

mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 06:09 PM   #2846
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I wonder what would happen if I dumped in the dinoflagellates from dinopet into my reef tank. How sick would that be? Also, maybe these dinos could out compete the dinos we have? They aren't brown and ugly like ours is. Just a thought.

Unread 01/27/2016, 06:20 PM   #2847
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
yeah that makes sense.
are those bacteria in a bottle people are adding self sustainable in our aquarium or does it require redosing? do the strains reproduce or they slowly die off?
I suspect that they generally last a fairly short time period due to competition from strains already in the tank. Bacteria tend to be highly specialized.

Unread 01/27/2016, 07:40 PM   #2848
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Bottle of dino-x ordered. Let's see what this does.

Unread 01/27/2016, 09:29 PM   #2849
iced98lx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I suspect that they generally last a fairly short time period due to competition from strains already in the tank. Bacteria tend to be highly specialized.
I would tend to agree. Is it possible they last long enough to keep the bacteria we don't want from keeping a foothold? I don't know.

Unread 01/27/2016, 10:49 PM   #2850
mannyhernz
Registered Member

Quote:
Bottle of dino-x ordered. Let's see what this does.
If you can..cancel it
Im sitting on a full bottle of it

mannyhernz is offline   Reply With Quote