Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2010, 03:06 PM   #1
subpg
Registered Member

Meanwell driver wiring configuration question?

Hello from over the pond, been reading for a while and I'm going to embark on a DIY LED build. I'm an ex-electronics service engineer so I have some knowledge (the bits that I haven't soaked in beer).

While researching the Meanwell drivers I came across this recommended application, now I haven't seen this type of array before (each led in a string linked to the next string), but it strikes me that it limits the problems associated with parallel wiring and enables you to run more leds per driver. Therefore reducing costs.

What do you think?

Steve

subpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2010, 03:29 PM   #2
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

It does LIMIT some of the problems, but doesn't completely address them. You're still going to have current splitting unequally among each column of LEDs, so you're still going to get some brighter than you want and some dimmer than you want.

The one advantage is that the risk of failure is slightly less, since if an LED fails it's affecting a smaller number of other LEDs.

And it still boils down to this - each meanwell driver has a limited number of watts, and there's no way around that. These matrix configurations will let you exploit those watts in a different way (more LEDs at less current each) that's a little more efficient, but you're not going to magically get more power out of a driver.

PS - dig back a few pages in the big LED thread, we've had a few really good discussions about this.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2010, 12:11 AM   #3
subpg
Registered Member

Thanks,

Thought I'd read the thread end to end, but must have missed it.

subpg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, led, meanwell