Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2017, 11:45 PM   #1
JVan82
Registered Member

Thoughts on upgrading

So I've had the biocube 32 for almost a yr now and I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading to the fusion 40, I'd like to move the rock corals and fish to the new tank, while replacing the sand. Thoughts on this, anything I should be aware of before going forward?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 09:49 AM   #2
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Gotta have that extra 8 gallons, eh?

Just kidding (sorta). I'd plan on replacing half of the tank water, 1/4 if you can't swing replacing 1/2. I'd use dry sand for the new setup. If you want to play it safe, I'd pick up an ammonia badge and bottle of seachem prime in case ammonia becomes an issue (extremely unlikely). Maybe have filter floss and carbon on standby as well, to remove particles floating around from the new sand, and just in case anything chemically gets in the tank, carbon would be a good solution.

I had my 24g cube in college, and moved in and out of the dorms probably 5 or more times, never replacing the sand bed, and never had an issue, so it's definitely doable. My recommendation to anyone else would be to play it safe and be prepared, even though I perpetually play it fast and loose with my aquarium

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 06:22 PM   #3
JVan82
Registered Member

I really like the cube, but now that it's hood-less, idk I don't like the black ring, nor do I trust myself to dremel it off. I have plans to go my next tank to be a 50 lagoon, just feel that I'm out growing the cube. I added the intank media basket and fuge (for pods) and the chambers are all full I need an ato, ugh #moneypit

Unread 07/12/2017, 09:23 PM   #4
ReefWreak
Registered Member

50 lagoon I can get behind. That's the tank I'd do if I could only do a small upgrade.

ATO is a moderate investment (<$100, not the end of the world), and should have been an early investment for your sanity's sake

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2017, 07:07 AM   #5
JVan82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
50 lagoon I can get behind. That's the tank I'd do if I could only do a small upgrade.

ATO is a moderate investment (<$100, not the end of the world), and should have been an early investment for your sanity's sake
yeah I have been lucky as far as topping off is concerned, now that the hood is removed it has to be done daily...

Unread 07/13/2017, 10:34 AM   #6
rockhead51
Registered Member

Check out the auto aqua smart ato micro. Literally takes up as much room as a stack of three nickels in your sump/back chamber. Best piece of gear I've bought for my glass box o money....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2017, 11:21 AM   #7
twitchy
Registered Member

You could make a diy ATO, could probably make one for 15$ + a pump

twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2017, 08:28 PM   #8
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVan82 View Post
I really like the cube, but now that it's hood-less, idk I don't like the black ring, nor do I trust myself to dremel it off. I have plans to go my next tank to be a 50 lagoon, just feel that I'm out growing the cube. I added the intank media basket and fuge (for pods) and the chambers are all full I need an ato, ugh #moneypit

FYI, the black trim piece on the top pops off. No dremel needed I'd say if you do go bigger... Go significantly bigger, otherwise you'll be having the same thoughts a year afterwards

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 12:12 PM   #9
LuizW13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Darilek View Post
FYI, the black trim piece on the top pops off. No dremel needed I'd say if you do go bigger... Go significantly bigger, otherwise you'll be having the same thoughts a year afterwards

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Word.

I was just thinking the same.

LuizW13 is offline   Reply With Quote