Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2018, 11:46 AM   #1
RapaNui
Registered Member

Cyano Bloom?

Hey Guys.

So the tank has been going for about a month and over the past couple of days this red algae has started to turn up. The tank was an older tank that we moved with some water and substrate. The live rock was placed in boiling water to get ride of the algae. From my research it's cyano?

Is this now part of the normal tank cycle and I need to leave it or do I need to intervene and start using GFO?

Haven't done a phosphate test yet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181018_170609_resized.jpg (87.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20181018_170603_resized.jpg (81.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20181018_170618_resized.jpg (56.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20181018_170625_resized.jpg (91.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20181018_170632_resized.jpg (93.6 KB, 29 views)
RapaNui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 11:56 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Minor, tank is only a month old, just wait to the real ugly stages.
A well cycled and maintained tank that's say 8-12 months old will take care of this....and much more.

Definitely see a tiny amount of the glass, just clean it off, not sure about the rocks, it looks less like cyano, if you can blow it off...great

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 06:30 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Likely cyano...not sure why people thing a cyano problem means a pbosphate problem or that gfo is the solution...That has not been my experience at all...

Siphon it out during water changes and turn lights off for 3 days every few weeks till its gone

Unread 10/18/2018, 07:46 PM   #4
Kmiller035
Registered Member

So many things in this post made me cringe...only a month old with THESE fish in it and you actually boiled the rock? No one got anywhere good fast in this hobby. Probably need to study up on all the next steps before you move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmiller035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 12:24 AM   #5
RapaNui
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Minor, tank is only a month old, just wait to the real ugly stages.
A well cycled and maintained tank that's say 8-12 months old will take care of this....and much more.

Definitely see a tiny amount of the glass, just clean it off, not sure about the rocks, it looks less like cyano, if you can blow it off...great
Thanks Uncle.
Will wait it out. Will it get worse and then siphon it off?

Unread 10/19/2018, 12:25 AM   #6
RapaNui
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Likely cyano...not sure why people thing a cyano problem means a pbosphate problem or that gfo is the solution...That has not been my experience at all...

Siphon it out during water changes and turn lights off for 3 days every few weeks till its gone
Will siphon it out and give it a break with the lights.
I guess it comes down to the all the stuff you read and that some of the problems lie in the phosphates, thus i thought it best to ask.

Unread 10/19/2018, 12:28 AM   #7
RapaNui
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmiller035 View Post
So many things in this post made me cringe...only a month old with THESE fish in it and you actually boiled the rock? No one got anywhere good fast in this hobby. Probably need to study up on all the next steps before you move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Kmiller035
I get it. You think *** is this newbie doing? I inherited the tank, fish and live rock from someone that couldn't look after it anymore. It would have been ideal to let it go from the start with no fish and let it cycle for 2 months. Why not help with some genuine advice to someone that is honestly trying to learn more by asking questions.

Unread 10/19/2018, 03:37 AM   #8
homer1475
Registered Member

First thing I see is a blue hippo tang in a 30G biocube! That fish needs at the very least a 180. But lets not discuss that, just know that fish will eventually outgrow that tank very quickly.

As far as the cyano, it's perfectly normal in a new tank. Best way to fight it back is with siphoning it out, a couple small WC's, and a couple weeks of 3 day blackouts(black out just refers to keeping the lights off, not actually covering the tank so it's completely dark).

Cyano is not actually an algae but a bacteria. I have found in my tank I get it when I have a nutrient imbalance(high No3 and low PO4). Typically a few small WC's clears it right up.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 06:59 AM   #9
Kmiller035
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapaNui View Post
@Kmiller035

I get it. You think *** is this newbie doing? I inherited the tank, fish and live rock from someone that couldn't look after it anymore. It would have been ideal to let it go from the start with no fish and let it cycle for 2 months. Why not help with some genuine advice to someone that is honestly trying to learn more by asking questions.

I WAS giving advice. You could have seriously hurt yourself or someone around you by boiling the rock. Read up on palytoxins. Scary stuff. Cringe worthy stuff. Many people get into this hobby thinking it’s easy. Just fill the tank and throw in any fish they want whenever they want without researching...so you’ll notice I was giving advice. Just didn’t spell everything out for you. You’re going to get a lot of point of views on here. Some contradicting. You’re at the beginning of the process, put in the time to make certain you are making the right choices for the well being of your tank inhabitants.

Kmiller035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapaNui View Post
Thanks Uncle.
Will wait it out. Will it get worse and then siphon it off?
It may get worse, it may come and go, it's cyano and I have no idea why it comes and goes but likely impacted by water/nutrient ratios. Keep in mind it's a bacteria, not an algae.

Like Mcgyvr said, blow it off, vacuum it up each WC, which I would do weekly especially with that blue ( he a fast eater and pooper)

You'll may see some others like a diatoms, GHA, RHA, yes cyano, but this is all normal as the biofilter ramps up its processing abilities, water chemistry may be unstable from time to time.

It is vital that all 8 parameters be maintained (unless it's only Fish) then scrap the CA-Alk-Mg components, there in the salt anyways, otherwise, all 8 must be on target, in range, and not vary from day to day. When these are on point consistently........and the biofilter catches up with requirements....presto......bad stuff gives away. When you add things, add slowly, the biofilter will have to catch up again....and so on...

Stability, stability, stability.......this is the key.

Hope that helps

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote