Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/02/2018, 02:39 PM   #1
dnguyen1
Will work for fish

Does size of refugium matter? (IN SUMP attempt)

Hi guys, I don't have any extra space (I guess I can try to experiment w/ a HOB fuge in my sump but I probably won't have the space.

I have a compartment in my sump however that is maybe 10 gallons total (it's 40g sump)... my display is 70g... I was going to put live rock (I can't put sand in because of my baffles leaving a space at the bottom so the sand would just flow through.

So just live rock and Chaeto... will I be able to harvest enough to help w/ export of nutrients?

I have a power head I'll run in there to help the chaeto tumble and was going to connect just an LED like desktop lamp or something to hang over and shine down.

Current Tank Info: 50g cube
dnguyen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 03:59 PM   #2
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I think it would be a waste of time and energy.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 09:08 AM   #3
JTL
Registered Member

10 gallons is sufficient for a fuge. The key is to make sure you have water from the display going into it.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 10:14 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

I think fuges are usually worth doing. Just don't expect miracles in terms of N and P removal. The pod production is a good bonus too.

Algae turf scrubbers are supposedly more efficient for what you are interested.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 10:57 AM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

Fuges are useful for culturing pods. For nitrate, as good a skimmer as you can; for phosphate, a GFO reactor (not that pricey).

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 11:15 AM   #6
dnguyen1
Will work for fish

Cool got everything going as far as skimmer and GFO reactor, I'll work on ideas for the fuge.

Current Tank Info: 50g cube
dnguyen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 11:23 AM   #7
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr1963 View Post
I think it would be a waste of time and energy.
+1

Unless your planning on having a specialized feeder such as a Mandarin I would skip the refuge as well.
Keep it simple. A decent water source, an efficient skimmer and a little bit of elbow grease can go a long way sometimes.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 11:27 AM   #8
ssky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
+1

Unless your planning on having a specialized feeder such as a Mandarin I would skip the refuge as well.
Keep it simple. A decent water source, an efficient skimmer and a little bit of elbow grease can go a long way sometimes.
Totally agree. Keep it simple or the hobby will overwhelm you.

ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnguyen1 View Post
Hi guys, I don't have any extra space (I guess I can try to experiment w/ a HOB fuge in my sump but I probably won't have the space.

I have a compartment in my sump however that is maybe 10 gallons total (it's 40g sump)... my display is 70g... I was going to put live rock (I can't put sand in because of my baffles leaving a space at the bottom so the sand would just flow through.

So just live rock and Chaeto... will I be able to harvest enough to help w/ export of nutrients?

I have a power head I'll run in there to help the chaeto tumble and was going to connect just an LED like desktop lamp or something to hang over and shine down.
It sounds like your sump is very similar to mine.

I have a center compartment in my sump that I was gonna grow Chaeto in but haven't gotten round to doing. But I put a lot of spare rock and rubble in my sump just because I didn't have anywhere else it could really go! Eyes were too big for my tank and my scape. I haven't noticed any downside, aside from its gonna be annoying to clean.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote