Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2010, 12:49 AM   #1
tidepool2
Registered Member

Meat Coral

This is Virginia, one of the first corals I purchased for my reef tank, and she was sold to me as a "Meat Coral". It's amazing how many shapes she can morph into...from a tight little fist to a soft, puffy dinner plate size. I feed her vitamin-soaked mysis shrimp and she devours them!

Does anyone know if this is actually a Meat Coral or is there another name for this coral? Also, do you know how large these corals grow? I hope not too much larger. I'm fond of this coral and I'm hoping she doesn't outgrow my tank.

Thanks for any info you can share with me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Virginia***.jpg (24.8 KB, 74 views)
65g reef tank, live rock/sand, Eheim 1262 900gph, Venturi skimmer, 2 Koralia PHs + Controller, 2 - 150w Rena Smart Heaters + Controllers, Cabinet, Sump, Aqua Illuminations Sol LED Module + Controller, 2 Ecoxotic 50/50 Panorama LEDs, 1 Ecoxotic Panorama Actinic and lots and lots of love.
tidepool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2010, 01:10 AM   #2
klepto
Registered Member

Looks like a meat coral indeed. The scientific name for this genus is Cynarina and I would venture that the species is lacrymalis, although that is just a guess.

This species can get quite large, so you may want to keep feedings to a minimum if it is already outgrowing your tank.

Cool picture and coral. You can read more on sites like this: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...460&pcatid=460

Unread 10/22/2010, 01:39 AM   #3
tidepool2
Registered Member

Thanks for the info and link klepto!

65g reef tank, live rock/sand, Eheim 1262 900gph, Venturi skimmer, 2 Koralia PHs + Controller, 2 - 150w Rena Smart Heaters + Controllers, Cabinet, Sump, Aqua Illuminations Sol LED Module + Controller, 2 Ecoxotic 50/50 Panorama LEDs, 1 Ecoxotic Panorama Actinic and lots and lots of love.
tidepool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"meat coral", "reef tank", coral