Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/10/2010, 10:01 AM   #1
nineball
Registered Member

Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - split

VISION

To create a suite of 4 coral islands in a shallow lagoon. Each island is to be named in recognition of four of the top aquarists generally acknowledged by members of the reef central community.

CONFIGURATION
Display Tank
The acrylic tank is L shaped with the following dimensions: Length is 8 feet plus 16 feet: Width is 3 feet: and Height is 2 and one half feet. (24’X3’X2.5’) I’m not sure what the metric equivalent would be. The tank is at least 1” thick all round except the 16 ft panel which is 1.5 “.
The tank is accompanied by a custom tubular steel stand fitted to the tank by ATM.
All sides of the tank are viewable except the two end caps providing almost 50 feet of seascape.

Dedicated Purpose Built Fish Room

The support for the main display tank is a custom integrated system with various tanks and reactors built in line. There are also three MARS retail display units housing at least twenty-five tanks that will be used for coral and fish propagation as well as quarantine /hospital tanks. Additional dedicated power with an on line natural gas 17,000 watt generator has been added.

COST

The algorithm that has proven to be the most accurate measure of costs for this project is as follows: Take your worst nightmare, double it and you are halfway there..........+1. I do not plan to deal with the inevitable questions of cost in this thread. It’s not that I wish to be rude it is just that far too many members equate success with dollars expended and the truth of the matter is that success is NOT measured in dollars and cents but in good planning, discipline, good access to knowledge and sound practices, phenomenal execution and above average imagination.....oh yeah, and demonstrated ability to learn!

I have a strategy to deal with my wife which involves reusing the same large colourful box which will become known as my fish maintenance box. It was a terrific strategy for my home theatre as it allowed me to upgrade several generations all on the basis of ‘mandatory’ annual maintenance at no apparent cost!!!! Same box in and out every time.

Unread 03/10/2010, 10:03 AM   #2
nineball
Registered Member

Credits

Chingchai Uekrongtham

First and foremost Chingchai from Thailand. His influence on me and this project has been profound. If you are reading this and you haven’t read Chingchai’s build thread I would strongly urge you to take the time and go from the beginning. It’s a long journey but in my opinion, one of the more remarkable experiences on this forum.

Contrary to the beliefs of some, Chingchai’s success has less to do with budget and more to do with intangibles like passion for this hobby, phenomenal vision, unequalled ability to execute on a detailed plan and an honest sincere belief that we can all learn and grow from sharing his experience. His team of helpers and advisors were and are second to none, not to mention the phenomenal input and support from the Reef Central community. The original design concept graphics were exceptional and only surpassed by the real thing. The fact that he has been a TOTM previously speaks to his experience and dedication to this hobby.

Chingchai’s patience in documenting every relevant detail in his build took an inordinate degree of commitment to his project and especially this community. I find that my moments of self doubt have been healed by going back and reviewing the incredible detail of his build. The documentation of Chingchai’s journey was frankly as much work as the actual build itself. Yet his respect for each and every member of this forum is unmatched by any of its contributors. Even when it was clear that a question had already been answered a number of times in the past Chingchai still took the time to answer it again.

While the diversity of tanks and their associated ecosystems around the world is almost overwhelming Chingchai’s ‘creation’ is distinct and unique. There are larger tanks around the world but none have the unique deep open coral architecture with the rich display and range of healthy coral that he has. A consistent observation I have made is that the main thrust of Chingchai’s project has been the coral and its presentation. The fish are the accent to the main event (the coral).

All of this finesse in preparation through execution qualifies this tank as truly unique and distinct from the mainstream in this hobby. There are a number of design attributes that break new ground and in fact I would argue, create a refreshing stylized vision for a marine aquarium that is truly innovative and absolutely unique. Chingchai’s journey and achievements along the way has truly raised the bar for excellence in this community and he will soon join David Saxby as one of the four principle influencers for serious coral aquarists in the world. One day I hope to call him ‘friend’.

Unread 03/10/2010, 10:07 AM   #3
nineball
Registered Member

ATM
Can these guys build an aquarium? It is no accident that they are certainly recognized as being in the world’s top acrylic aquarium manufacturers. I have an unwritten insurance policy that inherently comes with the custom order........ They won’t build a tank that’s wrong! The tank was custom built in Las Vegas and shipped over two thousand miles on a flatbed to a suburb of Toronto Ontario without a hitch. More on this later.............

DQI
These are the guys that had overall concept and responsibility for the 4,000 sq ft renovation. It was the archetect who determined how the tank would be visible throughout most of the 10,000 sq ft living space. As you will hopfully agree the did a phenomenal job......

Closed Thread