Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2018, 04:00 PM   #1
mx36
Registered Member

Vortech or Gyre pump

I currently have a 72"L x 34"W x 24" T aquarium. Have been running 3 vortech MP40s on it. Since I have been gone on deployment 1 of them has died. So I am thinking about changing it up when I get home. Was looking at the Gyre XF280. What are your thoughts on this power head? Or am I better off staying with the 3 MP40s or switching to a MP60? It is a mainly softy aquarium with a few LPS corals. Thanks

mx36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2018, 06:07 PM   #2
RockyProndoa
Registered Member

I don't have any experience with the Vortechs, but I have two XF250s on my 72" 135g reef and they are mind numbingly powerful. I run them tops 50% on one of the gyre preset wave modes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RockyProndoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 09:12 AM   #3
SalinFL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx36 View Post
I currently have a 72"L x 34"W x 24" T aquarium. Have been running 3 vortech MP40s on it. Since I have been gone on deployment 1 of them has died. So I am thinking about changing it up when I get home. Was looking at the Gyre XF280. What are your thoughts on this power head? Or am I better off staying with the 3 MP40s or switching to a MP60? It is a mainly softy aquarium with a few LPS corals. Thanks
I was quite hesitant about the gyre as I too have vortech in my 40 gallon. But I decided to make the jump after seeing it used at my lfs and I'm very happy with the results. I have two placed on opposite ends of my 80 gallon, works quite well and most importantly everyone inside likes it too. I think you'll be happy also.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SalinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 09:46 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
The reality is that you don't need anything more than non-controllable (constant on) powerheads..

You seem to want to change because one of yours from a specific brand died..
So why would you want to replace it with another from that brand?
Why don't you just address why that one died? I know they require maintenance/wet side replacements,etc... so maybe thats all thats going on here.. Maybe its not dead just misaligned or whatever..

ALL products have a lifespan and will die eventually.. Some last far longer than others..

On top of that.. besides the potentially dead unit what problems are you having that makes you think you need to change something?

Most of this decision is based on your opinion, your personal preferences, your budget,etc...
We can certainly give you suggestions (that are likely based on our personal preferences/opinions,etc... but you will get one from each side of the coin and is that really helping?
What is really important to YOU? What is it YOU are trying to address? ,etc...

Unread 08/22/2018, 10:32 AM   #5
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I’d suggest Tunze. I’ve used Both Vortecs and gyres. Neither met my expectations as far as reliability. I’ve never had issues with Tunze and in certain instances are cheaper than Vortecs. The gyres seem to need cleaning more often and are not as friendly to reassemble after cleaning although it impossible.

Unread 08/22/2018, 02:47 PM   #6
pisanoal
Registered Member

+1 on the Tunze.

I've had them all at one point or another. Vortechs take the cake for aesthetics, Gyre probably takes it for shear water movement, tunze wins in all other categories.

Ive got a standard 125, and went from mp40s to 2 gyres to 4 tunze 6075's. The tunze's were cheaper, move water "better", and are much quieter than the gyre which was by far my biggest complaint. I also like that I can turn them on and off via my controller at different intervals throughout the day to create VERY different flow patterns. I never liked how a lot of my coral that weren't directly in the center were always under pretty much unidirectional flow from the gyres even with alternating sides. Same story for the vortechs. Only so much can be done with wave patterns. The nozzle pattern on the tunze allows great penetrating flow to the opposite side of the tank, something my gyre 250s couldn't do unless close to max rate which was extremely loud, and my mp40s never could. Only complaint on the tunze is size. I was able to make mine blend in well enough but I could see people having an issue with them. My corals are much happier with the turbulent flow (sps) and i'm much happier with the noise.

Summary: All of your options are great pumps and will get the job done, so its personal preference. If you had the money, my recommendation would be to go with a pair of tunze 6095's or a trio of 6075's and some timers/controllable outlets.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 12:42 AM   #7
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Just fix the vortech. Individual parts are reasonable. I wouldn't change just to change.

The debate of what is best continues, just fix what you have, they're awesome pumps.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 07:48 AM   #8
mx36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Just fix the vortech. Individual parts are reasonable. I wouldn't change just to change.

The debate of what is best continues, just fix what you have, they're awesome pumps.
Yeah that's kind of what I am leaning to they are all pretty old, may just upgrade to the new QD.

Unread 08/23/2018, 10:09 AM   #9
tkeracer619
Registered Member

What broke? I've upgraded several of my old mp40s to QD and they breath new life in them. Unless the bearings on the dry side are shot, they should last a very long time.

Unread 08/23/2018, 10:18 AM   #10
mx36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
What broke? I've upgraded several of my old mp40s to QD and they breath new life in them. Unless the bearings on the dry side are shot, they should last a very long time.
I honestly don't know, I am currently in Kuwait. The wife just told me one stopped working, said if I remember correctly it was flashing red and the power head was laying on the bottom of the aquarium. Had that happen to me about 9 years ago and they ended up replacing the dry side motor.

Unread 08/23/2018, 10:28 AM   #11
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
I honestly don't know, I am currently in Kuwait. The wife just told me one stopped working, said if I remember correctly it was flashing red and the power head was laying on the bottom of the aquarium. Had that happen to me about 9 years ago and they ended up replacing the dry side motor.
Ah, that is a stall error. It could be as simple as a snail got into it.