Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2006, 10:25 PM   #1301
cthetoy
Registered Member

Here is the response from Live Aquaria. At least they responded my email within 4 hours. Because of the positive service despite shipping me a wrong Regal I will probably order from them again. A copy of their emailed response:

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience and will be happy to refund you the full shipping amount. We will forward your email with the picture of the specimen on to our director. We will apply the credit of $134.98 back to the credit card that was used on the order and you should see the credit appearing within 3-5 business days. Again we do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If we can be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact our Live Aquaria Department at 1-800-334-3699 or via email at customerservice@liveaquaria.com and we will be happy to answer any question(s) you may have.
Sincerely,

Technical Support
Drs. Foster & Smith

cthetoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2006, 06:07 AM   #1302
jjmatti
Premium Member

Is the gray or white belly the only way to distinguish if the fish is from the Red Sea? I purchased my Regal from Saltwaterfish.com 2 weeks ago and although it was not listed as "Red Sea" it has the coloration of one and is yellow bellied.

jjmatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2006, 10:44 PM   #1303
calaban
Registered Member

Liveaquaria put the credit for the fish back on my credit card, much nicer via email than the person I got on the phone. Told me that I didn't have to donate the fish. Offered to send a digital picture of fish and they said it wasn't necessary. So all good with them now. But now wish me luck with this pacific angel(good news is it is in an established tank and is picking at the live rock(lots of pods)).
And yes the chest color is a way of telling pacific from Red Sea/Indian ocean regals (Blue/gray versus Yellow)

calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2006, 07:13 AM   #1304
wfgworks
Premium Member

Well, my LFS was having a 20% off all livestock and there he was, a Red Sea Regal, about 4-5" in length and looking very healthy. He was picking at the live rock at the LFS and was very active around the tank he was in. I acclimated him for about 1.5 hours.

For the most part he has found a cave to hide in but every now and than he pops his head out to see whats going on. When he is out swimming around, I will take some pictures.

Unread 05/28/2006, 03:14 PM   #1305
DrBegalke
Go Buckeyes!

great fish, someday I'll have one

Current Tank Info: Latest project: JBJ Cubey
DrBegalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2006, 03:18 PM   #1306
john37
Super Rad Member

Picked up another red sea

ok so was at a LFS today and saw this beauty(i think he's male) he's about 3.5-4in. maybe an inch bigger than my current regal(which i think is female) He was picking at pellets and eating mysis.

Instead of going into my main tank i have a section of my sump that's cut off for letting fish settle in. I think i'll keep him in there for a week or so and start testing him w/corals. If all goes well then into the main tank he'll go. If not, then i'm gonna have to start another tank for him,..haha. wish me luck.

can someone tell me how to tell their sexes?

also, that's a sunburst that was eating mysis as well so picked him up too.

got both for $85.....pretty great deal if you ask me.

here's the pics. they're acclimating right now....i was so eager to post pics.

Current Tank Info: ange!

Last edited by Dino; 03/30/2018 at 01:38 PM.
john37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2006, 05:02 PM   #1307
wfgworks
Premium Member

How do you determine Male from Female?

Unread 05/28/2006, 05:16 PM   #1308
john37
Super Rad Member

not really sure.... but i think the cheek spine has something to do w/it.

Unread 05/28/2006, 06:16 PM   #1309
Steve Atkins
Registered Member

Re: PICKED UP ANOTHER RED SEA

Quote:
Originally posted by john37
.....can someone tell me how to tell their sexes?
Looks like it might be a male from the length of the gill spine.

Steve

Steve Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2006, 06:23 PM   #1310
john37
Super Rad Member

nice....so since the one in my avatar has short gill spines does that make her a female?

Unread 05/28/2006, 08:52 PM   #1311
Steve Atkins
Registered Member

I have not seen anything defining the exact gill spine length that marks the boundary and there probably in nothing like that. Additionally, the gill spine difference as an indicator of Regal sex has, AFAIK, only come about thru observation (not be measuring a large number of fish of known sexes)

Nevertheless, if you have one fish with a gill spine twice the lengh of you other fish then it appears you can be pretty certain that you have a male and a female.

Steve

Steve Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2006, 09:57 PM   #1312
dvmsn
Registered Member

Nice Score great price of those fish

dvmsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2006, 03:22 PM   #1313
DKRT0821
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What a beautiful fish - great price indeed!!

DKRT0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2006, 07:26 AM   #1314
DKRT0821

Well, after all that work I think my Regal is on its last fin. Last week it developed what I believe to be Marine Velvet. This past Friday I noticed it was a bit stressed and was only breathing out of one gill & scratching itself on the rocks and the base of my toadstool. One of its fin had a big white spot on it, and its color overall looked faded. I went to my LFS and bought Ruby Reef. I dose the tank for 3 days. Yesterday I did a water change & I opended my carbon and phosbans. This morning it does look less stressed than it did on Friday and its color is almost back, however, it still swims a bit irradically & still doesn't look all that well... It ate a bit this morning, but not as much as it was eating before. Does anyone know how long it will take for it to recover? I am affraid I may lose it. :-(

Unread 06/13/2006, 07:44 AM   #1315
NexDog
Snail Killer

I lost mine the other day.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump.

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
NexDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2006, 08:00 AM   #1316
DKRT0821

NexDog - How long did you have it in your tank? What was wrong with it & how long did it take for it to die after you noticed something was wrong?

Unread 06/13/2006, 08:38 AM   #1317
jjmatti
Premium Member

I need more tips how to get my Regal hooked on regular food.
All it has been eating since I got it is little neck clams. I stuff some Mysis or Ocean Nutrition cubes into the clam but he never really gets any of it. the nassarius snails and other fish usually pick at it first and he ignores anything floating in the water.
Also I noticed it likes to swim upside down. Nothing seems wrong with the fish and the upside down swimming seems deliberate not "out of it" is this normal or am I fighting a losing battle?

Unread 06/13/2006, 08:43 AM   #1318
Aquaduck
Registered Member

jjmatti, mine swims upside down to get into hard-to-reach places to pick at crevices in the rock etc. I would only worry if it's doing this out in the open water for no reason.

Have you tried Nori on a clip?

Aquaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2006, 08:46 AM   #1319
NexDog
Snail Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by DKRT0821
NexDog - How long did you have it in your tank? What was wrong with it & how long did it take for it to die after you noticed something was wrong?
Mine was in QT for 5 weeks. I have finished the hypo treatment and was raising the salinity slowly. Was fine one day, dead the next.

Current Tank Info: Deltec 902, PFO hood with 3x400w Radium 20k and 4x96w PC's. Hammerhead closed loop - and 2 x Tunze 6105 (and Vortech still sucks).
Unread 06/13/2006, 08:47 AM   #1320
jjmatti
Premium Member

I put nori on a clip every day for the tang and other fish. He doesnt seem t pay attention to it. I will try putting 2 or 3 nori clips in to see maybe it is just a dominance thing and the tang will not let him eat.

Unread 06/13/2006, 08:59 AM   #1321
DKRT0821

JJmatti -

Mine swims upside down too - but not in the open water...It does like to stay at the front of the glass with its snout sometimes, and that is what I call irradical swimming...perhaps it's just normal for them. Hopefully mine is OK. I do have to trust that after 3 days of medicine, maybe mine will pull right through...just hope and pray I guess.

With regards to food - I soaked mine in Garlic and that worked, howerver, it took about 3 weeks for it to eat. The clams will only do so much, but I cube-up the Ocean Nutrition Formula 1, 2, VHP, and Angel Formula and then put some garlic. Also add some mysis and brine reef or marine cuisine with garlic to give it a variety. Mine right now usually eats the formula 1, 2, VHP and angel formual & some mysis & Brine Reef by Ocean Nutrition. It picks on the clams but doesn't go nuts on them.

Unread 06/13/2006, 09:00 AM   #1322
DKRT0821

NexDog - Sorry to hear. It is really heart breaking to take care of them and then just watch them fade. If this one doesn't make it I may try a Goldflake Angel...hopefully though mine will pull through.

Unread 06/13/2006, 09:07 AM   #1323
NexDog
Snail Killer

Yea, I'm totally gutted. Plus it's the time invested and it only had a few days to go! Once it had gotten into the main tank it would have thrived like all the others but alas....And finding another young Red Sea Regal is the proverbial needle in the haystack here in Japan...

Unread 06/13/2006, 09:15 AM   #1324
Aquaduck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjmatti
I put nori on a clip every day for the tang and other fish. He doesnt seem t pay attention to it. I will try putting 2 or 3 nori clips in to see maybe it is just a dominance thing and the tang will not let him eat.
The funny thing is my Regal learned how to eat Nori by watching the yellow tang. They are best buddies and always swim/eat together. How long have you had him in the tank?

Aquaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2006, 09:22 AM   #1325
jjmatti
Premium Member

the Regal has been in the tank for just under a month now. I had to leave last week for a week long trip and had to have someone else watch him and feed him the clams so I feel like I may have lost time in getting him feeling comfortable in the tank.
The tank has plenty of rock and places to hide and he doesnt look stressed. The Powder Brown and Yellow Tang showed him who was boss the first 2-3 days but since then have adjusted very nicely.