Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2012, 10:42 AM   #1
reefp
Registered Member

green star polyps?

Are green star polyps easy to keep? How fast do they grow? Can I add them directly after I cycle my tank?

reefp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 10:51 AM   #2
cloak
Moved On

GSP are pretty undemanding when it comes down to lighting, flow, & parameters. Be careful though. These things spread like wildfire and can easily take over a tank. You might want to isolate them somewhere. GL.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Subw00er
Registered Member

Its a good starter coral, and although I hear they can grow fast, in my tank, I only see maybe 1/2" wider per month, so its not the kind of growth that can REALLY take over. It pulls off of smooth rock pretty well and you can cut it safely to frag it off.

Make sure your tank is cycled and go for it! Its a popular and very pretty coral under actinics.

Subw00er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 03:29 PM   #4
WestTexasReefer
Registered Member

It grows like weeds. When I downsized I thought I got rid of the rocks with it on it. I had my live rock in brute trash cans in the garage with a maxijet for flow in the summer with temps around 100. I put the new tank together and within a week some GSP showed up and now I have 2 large rocks covered that I prune back weekly by cutting and peeling. They can and will take over your tank if you are not careful or isolate them on a rock not touching anything.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon brick with Aqua Illumination LED lights
WestTexasReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Subw00er
Registered Member

ps I think GSP thrives on high nitrates, lol.

Unread 06/07/2012, 09:17 AM   #6
BMW1600
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Anecdotally, this seems to be true. Mine did great when I was trying to figure out *** to do with my water. The better handle I have on it the slower they grow.

BMW1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 12:38 PM   #7
wireefman
reefin chef

they are a great addition, especially if you sre sble to get some of the neon green, but as stated they can be a nusence... control them and they are a sweet addittion

wireefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 04:25 PM   #8
wendy32693
Registered Member

I seem to have a different experience than most people with gsp, in my tank they do fine, they open up and everything but i get no new growth from these. I have had one small rock covered in them someone gave me a while back and it has not spread anywhere at all. I guess it just depends on the person tank

wendy32693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Subw00er
Registered Member

Wendy - mine are like that too. very little growth. I was actually surprised when I saw it encrusting over the rock a bit. But I've seen other's tanks that grow like mad. It could have something to do with the strain too I suppose.

Unread 06/07/2012, 06:43 PM   #10
SushiGirl
Premium Member

I put mine on a rock in the corner by the overflow so they'd grow up it. They didn't grow. I moved them over about 5 inches (better light & flow) and they've taken off. Nowhere close to the overflow, though.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2012, 09:03 PM   #11
mgargiullo
Registered Member

I glued. Frag to the back wall of my nano... Within a few months it had spread a good distance in all directions. Love ha stuff. Very pretty

Current Tank Info: 112g mixed reef, 40g Breeder, 16g Nuvo and 8g Nuvo,
mgargiullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2012, 05:57 PM   #12
FishAddict413
Registered Member

Very easy. I blacked out my tank for two weeks and it was fine.

FishAddict413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2012, 11:34 PM   #13
Master_Shake
Registered Member

I purchased a nice chunk of rock covered green star polyps but they aren't doing well. I've moved tried them in a few different places but only one are now opens. I have a flame angel which left them alone when they were open but would nip at the rock when closed, but no more than any other rock. Could it have harmed them?

Master_Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2012, 05:40 PM   #14
jelli
Registered Member

I just got a piece, it's showing extra polyps everyday.

jelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 02:26 AM   #15
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Put it under halides and watch out!

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 09:57 AM   #16
RyanSweatt2004
Registered Member

Its a great coral to let grow all over your rock scape. Some people don't like it but when it grows in around everything it starts to take on a really natural look IMO, not a very SPS friendly coral from my experience though. But it does well to fill in the gaps between large LPS and leather corals. Not worth buying any of it though as most people will probably be willing to give frags of it away. I know I have. Made over 100 frags of it in the last year alone.

RyanSweatt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2012, 10:31 AM   #17
loganjonathan
Registered Member.

i have to agree they are very good beginner corals and they are also very colorful they will spread everywhere and that is what makes them so popular with beginners they don't have to worry about a think just place and watch

loganjonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 11:36 AM   #18
cathyr
Registered Member

Red face Gsp

Why do I have such difficulty with beginner corals? I read of everyone having such success with these simple corals!! My more difficult corals grow fine. My fish and anemone are great but my green star polyps, purple mushrooms and Kenya tree just seem to linger till they eventually fade away! I have moved them from medium to high to low light, and same with the flow. I have tried different coral foods etc. Nothing works.
I have a 30 gal nano tank
Nano Sol lights
keep temp at 79 degrees
salinity 1.025
all parameters are spot on
I do water changes once a week
I supplement with alternating days of magnesium and calcium/buffer and an occasional soft coral supplement
and I feed with frozen H20 Life coral mix.

I give up! What am I doing wrong?

cathyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 03:42 PM   #19
Deton8it
Registered Member

I can't keep Kenya Trees or Xenia. I can keep a clam no problem though. My water is always too clean.

John

Deton8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 04:23 PM   #20
supertony
Registered Member

I keep all of these with no problem. In fact, they are brighter and bigger in my tank than the one they came from. I have a 28g nano, with a hang on fuge. Nice big pieces of macro in the fuge. All my parameters are also spot on. However, I don't supplement. I'm of the opinion that it's the same as it would be for humans; supplemental, not required. Plus, all of the corals you've mentioned are self sustaining through photosynthesis. Perhaps you're overdoing it? Just a thought. I haven't been at this very long.

supertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2014, 05:15 PM   #21
enchelycore808
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyr View Post
Why do I have such difficulty with beginner corals? I read of everyone having such success with these simple corals!! My more difficult corals grow fine. My fish and anemone are great but my green star polyps, purple mushrooms and Kenya tree just seem to linger till they eventually fade away! I have moved them from medium to high to low light, and same with the flow. I have tried different coral foods etc. Nothing works.
I have a 30 gal nano tank
Nano Sol lights
keep temp at 79 degrees
salinity 1.025
all parameters are spot on
I do water changes once a week
I supplement with alternating days of magnesium and calcium/buffer and an occasional soft coral supplement
and I feed with frozen H20 Life coral mix.

I give up! What am I doing wrong?
Maybe your water is too clean lol! I have similar setup as you with the ai nanos as well. I definitely don't get that explosive growth that everyone talks about. I had two small rocks (3x3") covered with GSP and only now, 6 months later did it reach the glass. Also have a Palau neon green that just wouldn't grow until I started feeding it every other day.

enchelycore808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 09:38 AM   #22
cathyr
Registered Member

Unhappy Gsp

I have a 6 gal nano rehab-tank with compact lighting. When my Kenya trees start looking too bad and arent responding to anything else, I put them in rehab. They perk up within a day or two and start growing rapidly, only to decline again after a week or two when I place them back in the main tank.
No rehab luck with my purple mushrooms or GSP.
Im wondering if it is my nano sol lighting. Someone suggested that my lighting might be too strong. I turned it down halfway and havent noticed any difference.

cathyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 09:06 PM   #23
enchelycore808
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyr View Post
I have a 6 gal nano rehab-tank with compact lighting. When my Kenya trees start looking too bad and arent responding to anything else, I put them in rehab. They perk up within a day or two and start growing rapidly, only to decline again after a week or two when I place them back in the main tank.
No rehab luck with my purple mushrooms or GSP.
Im wondering if it is my nano sol lighting. Someone suggested that my lighting might be too strong. I turned it down halfway and havent noticed any difference.
50% on a 6g with a nano sol is blazing! The highest mines goes is 35% on a 17" deep tank. That's more then enough for me to keep mushrooms under the light shriveled up and not happy lol! I would try turning it down to maybe even 25% and see how your corals do. Can try increasing it every week by 5% and see how they react.

enchelycore808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2014, 07:23 PM   #24
jccaclimber
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
I'd believe this as well, and honestly I suspect most softies are like that. When I started the tank the softies did great. As I got a hold of things they did worse. Upping the feeding (a lot) to try to push up my nitrates has resulted in the softies (toadstool, shrooms, star polyps, rics) opening much more than usual.
As it would be my phosphate is still somewhere close to 0 and my nitrate is a pretty solid 0 (although on a low resolution test) so they don't require a particularly high level of either.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2014, 06:08 PM   #25
Docdiggy
Registered Member

I have been told there are 2 kinds. I have the neon ones. As they spread the stuff that spreads and makes them comes in 2 colors. Purple or pink. Pink grows faster but, they are not as neon as the purple. Mine grow decently fast.

Docdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, coral, lps, polyps, soft coral