Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/20/2011, 01:46 PM   #1001
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggydoc View Post
Well again wanted to thank the RC community and Jeremy for directing me to the right fix for my BK. Ended up taking it apart again and found lots of debris on the surface of the pinwheel.
Cleaned it thoroughly and gave it a vinegar bath...4 hours later....
Tadaaaaaaaa
Working like BRAND NEW.
NO BUBBLES GREAT SKIMMAGE!!!
Thanks Jeremy.
That's great doggydoc!!
I was lil surprised when you had posted your issue and was thinking there was some serious defect, coz the BK has impeccable built quality and any defect can be such a shame. I am a total believer on the BK quality and the simple fix Jeremy recommended and the proof that your BK is skimming like new, just reinforces by belief more.
I am really happy with my BK, it's the first ever skimmer I dint have to fiddle with to keep skimming at best performance, I'm actually amazed at the efficiency and the plug and playability of my BK mini 180 Gen.2

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2011, 08:17 PM   #1002
doggydoc
Registered Member

I am sooooo happy. I have my BK back. Again THANKS RC AND JEREMY. You guys ROCK

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Rimless Cube
doggydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2011, 08:32 PM   #1003
flameangel88
Registered Member

I got a BK deluxe 250ext earlier in the year from a local reefer with only 2 months of use when he broke down the reef due to a move and I got a great price. It was intended for an upgrade but due to various things (incl the flood from Hurricane Irene) the upgrade was on a hold till the french drain is installed. While I had to move the 120g this past weekend I took out the internal skimmer and had the BK installed. I know it's an overkill but the BK had been sitting for couple of months and probably not good for it.

I'm currently feeding it with a MD-40RXT with a split output so with a 3ft head I estimate the skimmer feed is about 400-425gph and the recommended flow for the BK 250 is 538gph, do you think this mine is adequate? I still need to play around with it to figure out when to use the telescopic pipe to raise water level or use the fine tune adjustment.

Due to moving the tank a lot of the crap in the bottom got stirred and I was eager to skim it out so I was playing with the adjustment a lot earlier than I normally would. I would love to hear your thoughts as what I should do--let it run fully open for a week before adjusting? Or let it sit the way it is for couple of days then fine tune? It seems the bubble (foam) looks finer after only running 11 hours then today. The black dot (on the wheel) is currently about 180 from the fixed dot. Thanks.

Here's the video after running 11 hours

and today 38 hours after running

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2011, 02:52 PM   #1004
Bello
Registered Member

Hey Jeremy & Jonathan,

Looks like I'm alright with the SM300 now (hopefully not being premature).

Not sure what worked. Didn't really increase bio-load, just started feeding a little bit more. I pretty much set the skimmer to factory settings, and adjusted the water level to a wee bit below the cup. Either way, I'm happy!!

This skimmer is awesome!!

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2011, 10:20 PM   #1005
diverrad
Registered Member

So i have a question for you guys, i have a custom 85g with total water of about 100g with sump and fuge. I have 6 med fish none over 4" and mostly SPS with soem LPS on the bottom. Right now i am running the SWC 160 extreme cone , it's ok but nothing special, what size BK should i get and will I really notice the diference?

Current Tank Info: 40g cube All SPS
diverrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2011, 12:43 AM   #1006
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverrad View Post
So i have a question for you guys, i have a custom 85g with total water of about 100g with sump and fuge. I have 6 med fish none over 4" and mostly SPS with soem LPS on the bottom. Right now i am running the SWC 160 extreme cone , it's ok but nothing special, what size BK should i get and will I really notice the diference?
Use a BK, difference guaranteed
If ya ask me:
BK 180 mini: big difference
BK 200 mini: major difference

Difficult choice eh

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2011, 06:08 AM   #1007
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameangel88 View Post
I got a BK deluxe 250ext earlier in the year from a local reefer with only 2 months of use when he broke down the reef due to a move and I got a great price. It was intended for an upgrade but due to various things (incl the flood from Hurricane Irene) the upgrade was on a hold till the french drain is installed. While I had to move the 120g this past weekend I took out the internal skimmer and had the BK installed. I know it's an overkill but the BK had been sitting for couple of months and probably not good for it.

I'm currently feeding it with a MD-40RXT with a split output so with a 3ft head I estimate the skimmer feed is about 400-425gph and the recommended flow for the BK 250 is 538gph, do you think this mine is adequate? I still need to play around with it to figure out when to use the telescopic pipe to raise water level or use the fine tune adjustment.

Due to moving the tank a lot of the crap in the bottom got stirred and I was eager to skim it out so I was playing with the adjustment a lot earlier than I normally would. I would love to hear your thoughts as what I should do--let it run fully open for a week before adjusting? Or let it sit the way it is for couple of days then fine tune? It seems the bubble (foam) looks finer after only running 11 hours then today. The black dot (on the wheel) is currently about 180 from the fixed dot. Thanks.

Here's the video after running 11 hours

and today 38 hours after running

Looks good, I would wait a week or 2 till the skimmer settles down to fine tune it.
Looks a little underworked, Butthat could be from breaking in. (Not that much of a foam head) You could always slow down the thruput of the feed pump to get the foam head richer.

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2011, 09:12 PM   #1008
layer3switchguy
Registered Member

Guys,

Tried to do a search on this, but kept getting an ODBC error message, my apologies if this has been asked and answered before...

Can someone please suggest an optimal sump water depth for a BK 180Gen2? I have it in about 6.5 inches of water, and not sure if I should raise thje water level. I just bought it, so it's still breaking in.

Cheers,
L3

ATI 8 Bulb Powermodule (T5)
2 Vortech MP40W
Prodibio
Profilux P3ex Controlled

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic Tech
layer3switchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2011, 09:19 AM   #1009
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layer3switchguy View Post
Guys,

Tried to do a search on this, but kept getting an ODBC error message, my apologies if this has been asked and answered before...

Can someone please suggest an optimal sump water depth for a BK 180Gen2? I have it in about 6.5 inches of water, and not sure if I should raise thje water level. I just bought it, so it's still breaking in.

Cheers,
L3
Try adjusting it to 8.5" and see what that does for you.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2011, 11:25 AM   #1010
layer3switchguy
Registered Member

Thanks Jeremy!

ATI 8 Bulb Powermodule (T5)
2 Vortech MP40W
Prodibio
Profilux P3ex Controlled

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic Tech
layer3switchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2011, 11:18 AM   #1011
Boogie420
Registered Member

i have a 200 internal deluxe that ive had for a little over a year now. i bought it having a 175g while waiting for my 280g to be built. it works better on the 280 than it did on the 175 so i dont want to oversize. but i am thinking of an upgrade as i recently added anthias and a few other fish and now feed 2x and sometimes even 3x a day now where as i used to only feed 1x day. i have barebottom and like to keep it very clean and ive noticed buildup that i didnt used to get so thinking it might need a stronger skimmer. any opinions?i also am 50/50 sps/lps and thinking of going more toward sps and possibly using zeovit. if so i was looking at the 250 internal the 300 internal and the 250 supermarin....which would suit me best if i did need an upgrade? ive heard real good things about the 250 supermarin but also that its best to skim wet and i prefer dry so i only have to change the container once a week.would this make me not prefer the supermarin over the deluxe?

Boogie420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2011, 12:29 PM   #1012
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Your skimmer will remove some particulate, although it's mostly removing dissolved organics within the system. I would think your increased fish load (waste including excrement and left over food) is what you're noticing on the bottom. Once that breaks down and dissolves, then your skimmer would be able to remove it efficiently. I'd suggest using filter bags, or increase the flow going down onto the bare bottom to keep that particulate suspended and filtered.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2011, 02:51 PM   #1013
Boogie420
Registered Member

ok, that makes sense...i have 2 mp60 that i run on nutrient transport mode so i feel that i keep it suspended and it only collects in two areas, but those two areas always.i use filter pad but not socks. i have a mag 18 return.....would you recommend increasing this? while were on the subject of return pumps i have a red dragon 6.5 thats been sitting in my closet over a year that came with no union piece on the top to connect the pump.the place that sold it to me cant obtain it and the local fish store has been trying for months.any ideas where i could obtain this piece as i would like to get some use out of the pump? thanks

Boogie420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2011, 04:45 PM   #1014
ONEWAY
Premium Member

My bubble king mini 200 gen 2 pump stops working. After I unplug it and plug it back in it cycles on and off what can be causing this?

Thanks
Anthony

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon SPS
ONEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2011, 05:49 PM   #1015
ONEWAY
Premium Member

My bubble king mini 200 gen 2 pump stops working. After I unplug it and plug it back in it cycles on and off what can be causing this? After cycling it stops working. I do routine maintenance on the skimmer full break down and clean up ever 6 months. I even tried a new needle wheel I had no luck. The back bushing seems a little worn but the armature is not hitting and the needle wheel seems to spin fine. Just not sure what it could be.

Sorry for the repeat. Added a few details.

Thanks
Anthony

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon SPS
ONEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 09:56 PM   #1016
flameangel88
Registered Member

Opinion Wanted

Just using 1/2 of the Iwaki md40-xrt output at 3ft was not enough so capped the other side two days ago and the full output is feeding the skimmer. This is most likely too much but I figure I get some opinions here before doing anything else.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 11:36 PM   #1017
mike&kel
Registered Member

Looking at buying a Mini 200. Found a gen1 for sale. What cost is involved in converting that to a Gen2? Is it possible?

mike&kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2011, 01:48 AM   #1018
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameangel88 View Post
Just using 1/2 of the Iwaki md40-xrt output at 3ft was not enough so capped the other side two days ago and the full output is feeding the skimmer. This is most likely too much but I figure I get some opinions here before doing anything else.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Looks good!!

Unread 11/02/2011, 01:49 AM   #1019
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike&kel View Post
Looking at buying a Mini 200. Found a gen1 for sale. What cost is involved in converting that to a Gen2? Is it possible?
I don't think it is.

Unread 11/05/2011, 05:09 PM   #1020
Vannpytt
Registered Member

Bought a new BK Supermarin 300 and running it with pellets. Very very easy to dial in, skims good already, not too wet, not too dry.

I got a tip to set the inlet valve on the pump all the way in, then do 1 complete turn out and allign the marks. Set the bubbles to break just at the neck and wait 1 day. It's producing massive amounts of dark crap, and the corals that I was having troubles with a week ago are just that much better.

Worth every buck!

Vannpytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2011, 02:20 PM   #1021
msayani2
Registered Member

Jeremy,

Im planning on a 150 gal aquarium with a 30 gal sump. It will host about 4 medium tangs, 12 small fish (2" damsels, blennys, 3" angelfish etc) and 3-4 SPS corals and 9-12 LPS.

Thinking of getting a BK skimmer that is sized correctly for the tank. Im thinking Mini 180. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 135G FOWLR/softies tank, 30G Sump, JNS sk2 skimmer,GEO 618 , Vertex RxU 2.0 GFO reac, 2xTunze 6105/Tunze 7096, 2x Kessil A360WE, Sicce 4 return pump
msayani2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2011, 02:21 PM   #1022
msayani2
Registered Member

Jeremy,

Im planning on a 150 gal aquarium with a 30 gal sump. It will host about 4 medium tangs, 12 small fish (2" damsels, blennys, 3" angelfish etc) and 3-4 SPS corals and 9-12 LPS.

Thinking of getting a BK skimmer that is sized correctly for the tank. Im thinking Mini 180. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 135G FOWLR/softies tank, 30G Sump, JNS sk2 skimmer,GEO 618 , Vertex RxU 2.0 GFO reac, 2xTunze 6105/Tunze 7096, 2x Kessil A360WE, Sicce 4 return pump
Unread 11/11/2011, 02:22 PM   #1023
msayani2
Registered Member

edit: Mini 180 Gen 2 of course.

Unread 11/13/2011, 11:58 AM   #1024
SPotter
Registered Member

setting up a 280g dt, 80g frag and approx 80g sump. I'm thinking about the BK SM250. Thoughts on this being the right size for my set up?

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2011, 04:11 PM   #1025
WestTexasReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
My bubble king mini 200 gen 2 pump stops working. After I unplug it and plug it back in it cycles on and off what can be causing this? After cycling it stops working. I do routine maintenance on the skimmer full break down and clean up ever 6 months. I even tried a new needle wheel I had no luck. The back bushing seems a little worn but the armature is not hitting and the needle wheel seems to spin fine. Just not sure what it could be.

Sorry for the repeat. Added a few details.

Thanks
Anthony
I am having similar issues with mine except it will just quit running. I have had the skimmer for about 2 years now and it seems this has started within the last 6 months. I pull it out and break it down with a vinegar soak, put it back together and it works great. Then about a month later it stops again and I go thru the same procedure. It never lasts more than 4-6 weeks before shutting down again. Is this normal? I know they need periodic cleaning as do all pumps but this seems a little excessive. Is there another underlying issue causing this?

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon brick with Aqua Illumination LED lights
WestTexasReefer is offline   Reply With Quote