Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Tempdoom
Registered Member

Planning to set up a Fluval Spec V...

I love reefs and I love tiny tanks. Ever since I set up a little FW cherry shrimp tank I have been captivated almost as much as my 30gal reef tank. I've been looking into setting up a pico reef, and I want to use an aquarium that has an overflow. The best candidate so far is the 5 Gallon Fluval Spec 5. It has a 3 stage filter but is designed for freshwater setups. Is there anyone that owns one that could suggest a better pump to replace(or supplement) the stock pump so I can get more flow for a reef setup? Also, any recommendations on lighting? I've fallen in love with LEDs but it seems tougher to figure out the best wattage unless you look at it over a tank, which you can't really do on Amazon. Thanks for any help in advance and if i forgot to answer some questions feel free to ask.

Tempdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 01:54 PM   #2
snulma1
Registered Member

When I had a spec v I used a minijet 606 to upgrade my pump, and I also used my old mp10 for circulation as well (diales wayyyyyy down)

As for lighting, a par 38 on a gooseneck will fit and look clean, I ran that for a while

snulma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 10:38 PM   #3
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

I have the Aquatop 118 gph NP-302 pump that I bought as an upgrade my stock spec v pump. It looked like it might fit with some trimming but I haven't actually tried installing it yet. Just haven't had time plus I'm not sure it's best for my little reef. The stock pump seems to create enough flow. I have gsp, acan, zoas, sinularia, torch, frogspawn, xenia, mushrooms, and rbtas. And they are all doing fine with stock pump. My tank is about 8 months old.

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 10:43 PM   #4
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

As for the leds, I think if you get about 20 watts of LEDs for the spec v, you can probably grow anything you want.

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval, nano, pico, reef, waterflow