Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 21 31.82%
3 to 9 months 15 22.73%
9 months to 2 years 16 24.24%
2 years + 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2015, 05:14 PM   #76
Blue spot
Registered Member

Blue spot update. It am not dead yet!! Completely amazed, if you had seen the sorry state of this fish you would have said it was a gonna. I'm not going to say a full recovery but it can swim again (highly recommended when your a fish) and it is eating somthing. Not when I try to force feed it , but it must be eating somthing. The plan now is to catch the damsel (no luck with my ingenious fish trap yet ( patent pending)) and reintroduce the blue spot back into the tank, the othe blue spot by the way is going from strength to strength. It eats everything , flake, mysis, brine, pods, lobster eggs, red plankton, bits of prawn and cyclops (everything seams to love this in my tank and yet I dont know what they are, I should read up on them) . It didn't do this when I first had it, but I spot feed it twice a day and then it takes its chances with everything else. In all a good week

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2015, 04:03 PM   #77
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unhappy Help needed

Well the blue spot is still alive!!! I realy do not know what to do with this fish? I have caught the damsel and swapped it with the blue spot, so blue spot is back in the main tank. It is still gasping and almost making a sort of cough motion now and then (like its choking) it still cannot orientate itself. As soon as it hits open water it swirls around rapidly until it hits the sand. Then it sort of tips over with its face in the sand. This fish has been like this for 2 weeks now. I am now fresh water dipping it for 4 minutes every day. I've searched the thread with no clue as to what this fish has???? Still don't think its Bsjf disease as it has no patches or anything on it and what it's eating I have no idea... Help !! I'm trying hard to save my fish

Unread 03/17/2015, 06:33 PM   #78
dave.m
Registered Member

This is your blue spot on drugs.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2015, 09:18 PM   #79
teemee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post
hi,
love your aquascape, and the jawfish! I was wondering what kind of angel that is? Kind of looks like a tigerpyge, but not like any we've had locally... which means nothing - anyhow, it's gorgeous!

Last edited by teemee; 03/18/2015 at 09:25 PM.
teemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2015, 06:14 PM   #80
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi tee mee. Cheers. Yes it is a tigerpyge, I thing they normaly have a black tail , but mine hasn't ? When I first had it , it was tiny and not very colourfull (so had it for a good price) however as its aged and grown it's got really colourfull and looks stunning in real life. Realy like this fish , not aggressive and it's well fed so leavs the corals alone.

Unread 03/20/2015, 09:54 AM   #81
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

How about some new pictures?

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 04:41 PM   #82
Blue spot
Registered Member

Bye bye big blue

Well after two months and lots of effort to save him, big blue is brown bread . I managed to get a hold on the Bsjf disease but he just stopped eating and faded away , very sad to watch realy . I even read a blog on force feeding fish and tried this but I think I was just to late . Very strange the whole thing realy , little blue was the one I thought would not last when I bought them, it was timid , not eating well and struggled to make a home and stay in it. Big blue was more colourful the larger more curiouse fish. Both in the same tank. Not showing aggression to each other . I think ultimately the difference was the damsel ( now in the sump) although not overly aggressive was definitely bothersome , this lead to the no feeding week I had early on and it took me a month to get it out of the tank. By this time the damage was done. So for anyone reading my personal feeling on this fish is feeding is key. I could see the problem as you can read in earlier posts, but in hindesight I should have acted quicker. Little blue eats everything that floats past and is thriving though it's still early days.

Unread 03/26/2015, 04:49 PM   #83
Blue spot
Registered Member

On a lighter note

On a lighter note the way I found out my fish had died was..... It was big Aussie shipment day at my lfs ( I'll post pics weekend, got some stunning corals) when my sister rang. She said "are you in that fish shop" "yes" I replied "well I'm lookin at your fishtank at the moment.........do they sell fish coffins ?" "....what ?" " fish coffins, cause your gonna need one , your fish is dead"......... They don't sell fish coffins......... Patent pending people, patent pending.

Unread 03/31/2015, 01:52 PM   #84
Blue spot
Registered Member

It a suicide pact

Sorry for the lack of pictures. I will get round to this. After the sad loss of the blue spot I've had a further 2 go. A yellow banded pipefish. I used to watch it surf by the gyre when I put pods in the tank, it figured out they all get drawn towards it but I used to think.... Move away. Anyway came home from work , it was missing it's tail and haven't seen it since , I assume it must have lost it tail in the pump. The other thing was a fish I have had on order for 6 months. A curious worm goby. I thought it was called curiouse because of the way it looked... It's not . It's more it's nature..... This fish dosent seem to like water! My lfs got 2 in for me, 1 jumped out of their tank. The one I got spent more time in the rollomat than the tank. Fished it out 3 times , but it even managed to get past the mat and into the skimmer collection cup. So no losses then 3 in a week! I also think I am going through the green stage rock wise. Not worried , but I wish I hadent let that seaweed take, proving a nightmRe to get rid of. On the bio pellet front ( never used these before ) as yet they have not had much effect on nitrate levels but I'll keep you posted.

Unread 03/31/2015, 02:06 PM   #85
dave.m
Registered Member

You have to have some phosphate in the water for the the bio-pellets to work on your nitrate levels (that's why I've always questioned people who try to run bio-pellets but keep their GFO reactor going at the same time).

Dave.M

Unread 03/31/2015, 02:39 PM   #86
Blue spot
Registered Member

I'm confused now. Gonna have to do more research, got bio pellets on recommendation of lfs ( never used before) . I though phos and nitrate had a tenues link so how do I get both working together ? My aim is not for a zero nitrate tank. I love lps and want to grow a few of the easier sps later when tank is stocked and stable if possible what would you recomend ?

Unread 03/31/2015, 02:47 PM   #87
dave.m
Registered Member

I prefer water changes, GAC and GFO. Lots of clean-up crew to keep the substrate overturned and clean. Stir detritus up weekly before water change and use filter socks. Keep your skimmer and sump clean.

Your mileage may vary.

Dave.M

Unread 03/31/2015, 02:52 PM   #88
Blue spot
Registered Member

Cheers Dave

Unread 04/12/2015, 02:15 PM   #89
Blue spot
Registered Member

pic update

Unread 04/12/2015, 02:19 PM   #90
Blue spot
Registered Member

pic update

Unread 04/12/2015, 02:23 PM   #91
Blue spot
Registered Member

pic update

Unread 04/12/2015, 02:42 PM   #92
Blue spot
Registered Member

Update

So as you an see I think I am at the Rock maturing green stage of things. As I have always gone full live rock in the past this is a new experience for me. Trying not to panic and chanting , this is natural just be patient seams to be doing the trick. One thing that isn't natural is that bloody sea wead I let grow a little !!! As advised on here it has spread everywhere along the top of the tank and I am trying to pick it off and remove its light source by moving rocks around a little.
Tanks filling out but still a long way to go, but I'm enjoying filling it so not rushing, currently I'm working on the bottom of the tank, grouping things together to see how well they do before fixing in place, so far had 2 coral casualties , one my fault it tipped upside down and I didn't notice in time, the other was my lovely orange hammer, that ones a small mystery , literally disintegrated in a day, I must have done something to it, just not sure what? The other hammers next to it are still doing fine.
Oh and how can I forget . I flooded the house! Did some return pump maintenance but forgot to but the jubilee clip back on . Only 200 litres on the floor , so could have been worse.......... I was very.... Very .. Popular!

Unread 04/12/2015, 02:46 PM   #93
Blue spot
Registered Member

One more thing, as you can see in the pictures I have bought a couple of carabien sailfin blennies. Although they started out rather drab looking, when displaying they have some nice colour on them and they are great fun to watch, flipping their fins at each other and darting out for food, surprising personalities for such little fish, I recommend them

Unread 04/12/2015, 06:07 PM   #94
dave.m
Registered Member

Great pics. Everything seems to be progressing well for you.

Dave.M

Unread 04/13/2015, 11:12 AM   #95
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Excellent pics. Thank you for the update.

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2015, 04:15 PM   #96
Blue spot
Registered Member

Long time no see

So it's been a while since the last update, sorry. Working a lot. Most things are going well the only main issues I am having is . Seaweed ! I wish I had never left it in, proving impossible to remove. I also have a suspect gorilla crab, which caused me to tear down half the display and the little b is still in one of the rocks . Stock wise I've had a few nice things, not least a blue spot to try and pair up with Bert . Bert is doing really well and is still eating everything. Fish wise I have also gotten, a
Moorish idol, white cap goby, kaleidos wrasse, yellow long nose butterfly and a bellus angel.
We have also started sps, my first one ever, so wish me luck. I'll post some pictures soon , but I do need to rebuild the one end of my tank after crab gate , not happy with it at the moment, but the white cap is settled under one of the main rocks I want to move so may give it a little longer ( it's my newest addition ) hope everyone's tank is doing well and will post again soon.

Unread 05/31/2015, 12:09 PM   #97
Blue spot
Registered Member

pic update

Unread 05/31/2015, 12:11 PM   #98
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 05/31/2015, 12:14 PM   #99
Blue spot