Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/05/2017, 09:52 PM   #76
Wally.B
Registered Member

WOW. A baby fish. Fry is what I think they are called.

Amazing. I know someone who did it with freshwater fish, but never Marine.

And it's eating too!!!

That is truly amazing. This fish and possibly more to come will be special.

You and your wife are "Fish Parents". There must be a technical name.

Big Congrats!!!

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 09:33 AM   #77
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
WOW. A baby fish. Fry is what I think they are called.

Amazing. I know someone who did it with freshwater fish, but never Marine.

And it's eating too!!!

That is truly amazing. This fish and possibly more to come will be special.

You and your wife are "Fish Parents". There must be a technical name.

Big Congrats!!!
LOL Thanks
Sorry I meant to say fry, I was just caught up in the moment. So far we still only have one but hope maybe to find another. But if not its all good because I didn't expect to get any from this batch. Can't wait to get home from work to see if the male is still holding any or not and look around and see if we can find anything.

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
JonezNReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 10:06 AM   #78
Wally.B
Registered Member

You might find this interesting, if you didn't know.

The Banggai Cardinal Fish (was/is) on the "Threatened" Species List.

https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2016...d-species-act/

So you really have something special.

Take care of Jr.

And if more fry's come out, you can repopulated the Oceans.

Last edited by Wally.B; 07/06/2017 at 10:11 AM.
Unread 07/07/2017, 01:04 PM   #79
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Thought I would share this anyone that might think its interesting. It's a short video of the male Cardinalfish spitting out a fry and sucking it back in
https://youtu.be/qSI5VAfSWjk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: System 1 Mixed Reef: 180g DT,180g Fuge, 120g Sump http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611735
Unread 07/08/2017, 12:12 AM   #80
siliconinja
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonezNReef View Post
Thought I would share this anyone that might think its interesting. It's a short video of the male Cardinalfish spitting out a fry and sucking it back in
https://youtu.be/qSI5VAfSWjk

This is incredible Congrats! Such a cool thing to happen in your tank, and you were able to share with your wife which is even better!

siliconinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 01:51 PM   #81
dave.m
Registered Member

Lots of people have Banggai cardinals breeding in their tanks. The "endangered" status is due to over-fishing in their original, somewhat limited, habitat but they actually breed quite readily and have already been successfully introduced to other parts of the reef by crafty local aquarium fishers.

There was a reef research project a couple of years ago on Banggai cardinal fish that several people here on RC helped to fund. There was even a book that came out of it. I believe it is this one.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 07:36 PM   #82
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Well today was a fun little road trip. I found a deal I couldn't pass up on MRC CR-2 Calcium Reactor. I will still have to get a CO2 tank, regulator and either a pH controller or APEX. But atleast I have the reactor itself. It's a older model but looks the same with the only difference is that the new models have a spray bar which I might DIY...maybe.

Also while I was down in Tampa I stopped by Coral Corral and picked up a couple of frags. Nothing special
Motipora Spongodes

Unknown Acro

Unknown Acro... maybe a stag

Unread 07/09/2017, 07:37 PM   #83
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Pressing the RestStart Button: JonezNReef 180g 2.0 (plus 120g breeding system)

Sorry... double post

Unread 07/15/2017, 05:37 PM   #84
JonezNReef
Registered Member

So far the baby Cardinalfish is doing good and eating well.

I am still battling a little bit of green and red slim algae that is a bit of an eye sore but I have been feeding heavy to help fatten up the male Cardinal. Also the frag tank is doing well but has a little bit of algae too. But as long as everything is happy I am not going to make any drastic changes.
On another note I am thinking about adding violet LEDs to my light fixture. So since I am going to battle the red slim algae with a short lights out it could be a good time to add this. I am also considering changing my entire fixtures set up. It has worked very well but there are a few things I would like to try different. I want to position a few LEDs at different angles to help with shadowing, lessen the amount of Red and Cyan LEDs, change from Neutral White with Cool White and of course add the Violet. Also I want to string the LEDs in a way I can play around with timers and dimmers for my viewing pleasure. So for now I will focus on the DTs LED fixture and then the bottom 180s fixture will be next so I can start buying macro algae. So the Calcium Reactor is going to be put on the back burner until I can collect everything I need to run it.

Unread 07/15/2017, 05:39 PM   #85
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Unread 07/15/2017, 07:51 PM   #86
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
So far the baby Cardinalfish is doing good and eating well.
Excellent. He does look bigger, but that could be the photo.
Did any more pop out? Or just the one?

Quote:
I am still battling a little bit of green and red slim algae that is a bit of an eye sore but I have been feeding heavy to help fatten up the male Cardinal. Also the frag tank is doing well but has a little bit of algae too. But as long as everything is happy I am not going to make any drastic changes.
Feeding more usually comes with some Algae Spike.

Quote:
On another note I am thinking about adding violet LEDs to my light fixture. So since I am going to battle the red slim algae with a short lights out it could be a good time to add this. I am also considering changing my entire fixtures set up. It has worked very well but there are a few things I would like to try different. I want to position a few LEDs at different angles to help with shadowing, lessen the amount of Red and Cyan LEDs, change from Neutral White with Cool White and of course add the Violet. Also I want to string the LEDs in a way I can play around with timers and dimmers for my viewing pleasure. So for now I will focus on the DTs LED fixture and then the bottom 180s fixture will be next so I can start buying macro algae.
Definitely reduce, or get rid of any PURE RED Lighting. That will fuel Algae and Cyano, Slime like fire.

I know 100% for sure. Since I was running a RGB led Strip for a few months (100% each RedGreenBlue to make white. Plus some over feeding didn't help.

First came the Cyno Wild Fire.

The came the Green Hair Algae.

All due to running the RED LEDS. Blue probably helped a bit. My Algae Scrubber is 90% RED and 10% Blue LEDS, for a reason.

Coral photo's look like you are getting some nice PE.

Unread 07/16/2017, 01:35 PM   #87
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Thanks WallyB
That just further supports my decision to reduce the amount of reds and greens. I think the cyan/ green dulled the over all color of the tank and I hope that switching to cool white will take away the full look too. Sorry about the crappy iPhone pictures but the PE has been really good and even color has been improving. I know the algae scrubber is starting to produce algae so that should help with the slim algae problem.

Unread 07/22/2017, 02:39 PM   #88
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Did a small water change today and cleaned up the skimmer and ATS. Still fighting red and green algae but slowly starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Since the pumps were off I took a few pictures.
This one is finally starting to color up good.

Here are some other random pictures

Unread 07/24/2017, 11:34 PM   #89
Wally.B
Registered Member

All looks good. That first Frag is encrusting Plug Nicely.

You should try getting pictures without the Blue Lighting. To show true colors.
Can you turn on just White Led's?
If your camera is sensitive enough, I find you can take a photo with just a simple white light above tank. Room light.

Of course if you have a camera that does White Balance Adjustment that would be better. You can acutally shoot under blue light a see colors.
And best is if you can shoot RAW vs processed.

Unread 11/04/2017, 09:26 AM   #90
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Long over due update.

I haven't done anything new with the system. Basically I have just been topping off the water, feeding the fish, and cleaning off equipment here and there. I was able to keep almost everything alive when Hurricane Irma hit. Luckily my house didn't get damaged and only lost power for a week. During that week we only ran a generator at night so I would give the tank 8 to 10 hours of return pump on and maybe 4 hours of light from one channel of LEDs. Our generator wasn't very big and gas was threw the roof expensive and hard to get so I had to do what I could. I only lost my star fish, a monti cap, a monti digi, torch, a few frags . A few of the other corals faded in color a bit and a couple had a bit of tissue recede but most are coming back to there old self. Since then I have been busy with a million other things so I had left the tank on auto pilot only feeding and topping it off. Also since August outside of not doing any water changes I havent tested the water at all and I haven't dosed anything but soda ash. I did get around to cleaning off the ATS and skimmer a couple of times too. I hope to get the tank back up to 100% this month but it will require a bit of time to do that.

-Currently I have a Aptasia outbreak in my DT which I plan on getting peppermint shrimp and maybe a file fish to help with.

-I have a small algae outbreak in the DT mainly on the sand and a few rocks, which should go away after a few water changes. If it doesn't go away completely after that then I will go 3 days with lights off and 4 days with 2 channels of blue LEDs on until the ATS has had enough time to sucked up enough of the nutrients that the algae goes away.
-Also to help with algae I need to get a few more snails and hermits to help keep the glass, rocks and sand cleaned.

-I had one channel on my DT lights go out so I need to take it apart and fix that too.

Unread 11/04/2017, 10:09 AM   #91
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Long over due update.

-Currently I have a Aptasia outbreak in my DT which I plan on getting peppermint shrimp and maybe a file fish to help with.

-I have a small algae outbreak in the DT mainly on the sand and a few rocks, which should go away after a few water changes. If it doesn't go away completely after that then I will go 3 days with lights off and 4 days with 2 channels of blue LEDs on until the ATS has had enough time to sucked up enough of the nutrients that the algae goes away.
-Also to help with algae I need to get a few more snails and hermits to help keep the glass, rocks and sand cleaned.
Tanks always keep us busy eh?

So you have apatsia. I hate those ugly pests.
I've had aptasia over the years. Never tried pepermint shrimps but I did once get a Copperband butterfy and he polished the Aptasia clean (Then he died a year later since he had nothing to eat, and it appears that is all he would eat).
You have to have some luck with Copperbands since not all will survive long enough to learn to eat aptasia. Some like a 2nd copperband I got learned to also eat frozen.
Interesting that you mention aptasia since I got few starting in my tank.
I have no appetite for a new fish after I tried a Powder Blue tank (got ich) died few weeks later.
So I decided to try AptasiaX. Really surprised how well the stuff works.
You get a bottle of (harmless liquid. Harmless to Corals/Fish). A syringe and two tips. You fill syringe, and squirt the liquid into aptasia's mouth. They don't retract and gobble the stuff up. 5 minutes later it imploded and it gone.
But you have to be able to reach the apatasia in hard to reach places. So I exteneded the feeder with a airline (between Syringe and tip). Addded a bendable stick and am killing them off one by one.
Bottle is good for about 100 aptasia.
This might help you speed up the Extermination. At least get the big guys (before they spread more spores). Let the peppermint work on the small hard to reach ones.

Unread 11/04/2017, 03:44 PM   #92
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Sounds worth trying or atleast looking into. I have had my Seabae anemone for around 5 years and wouldn’t want to put anything in the water that could harm it.(Seabae is in frag tank not the DT). I would rather not buy another fish honestly because I have my tank set with the current bio load.

Unread 11/05/2017, 12:34 PM   #93
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds worth trying or atleast looking into. I have had my Seabae anemone for around 5 years and wouldn’t want to put anything in the water that could harm it.(Seabae is in frag tank not the DT). I would rather not buy another fish honestly because I have my tank set with the current bio load.
I read the AptasiaX instructions completely.
Have no worries about your Seabae Anenome.
The stuff is like a glue. And you have to directly treat the Apatisa polyp by putting the Syringe into it's mouth. A tiny drop. It seals it's mouth and it implodes.
It's not an All Tank Treatment (Purely spot treatment).
You'd have to directly inject a 1/4 bottle into your Seabae to hurt it.
But get on top of your Aptasia ASAP.
My Frag tank had one show up, and within a week more showed up since they they release spores to multiply. So ever time I see one I zap it.
Easy job in a open Frag Tank.
But in your Display Tank if you don't start getting at them, they will continue to spread (in hard to reach places), and each new one adds to the multiplying effect. You tank will be full of them (trust me, years ago I had a ton in DT and things look awful).

Unread 02/25/2018, 12:16 AM   #94
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Over Due Update Again...
So ever since the hurricanes my tank just hasn’t been what it was. I have been battling a little bit of algae and my war with aptasia is never ending. So I have been able to get the tank back to par and to help spark some life back into it I decided to order some new fish.

I ordered a Clownfish, a Clown Tang, and a Copperbanded. I will start with stating I am aware of how big Clown Tangs get and also that my current tank is to small for him when he is full grown. But it’s a great excuse to start planning a larger tank for it in the future.
Anyways I ordered them and during shipping one of the bags started leaking. So I rushed the UPS hub and picked up the package only to find that the Copperbanded’s bag was the one that leaked and it had maybe a pint or two of water left but it was still alive.
So I rushed them all home and did a drip acclamation and then transferred them to the QT. Unfortunately this morning I woke to find the clownfish had died over night. Luckily the Clown Tang and Copperbanded are still alive and swimming. Now is the fun of fattening them up for the DT and making sure they don’t have ick or anything else.

Unread 02/25/2018, 06:09 PM   #95
JonezNReef
Registered Member

So far so good with the QT. Fish are calming down and trying to eat. I’m hoping this continues but time will tell

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=JCh2bJJhaZA

Unread 02/25/2018, 06:10 PM   #96
JonezNReef
Registered Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eLhVMw...ature=youtu.be

Unread 02/26/2018, 11:53 PM   #97
Wally.B
Registered Member

Whoa. Sorry about the Clown and Leaking bag.

Once I brought a nice fish home. Was taking bag out of tank after it warmed up and slippery wet bag.... I dropped it from like 5 feet onto hard floor. It never broke, but I figure fish got a Whack.
It died a week later.

At least you have the CopperBand. I love them.
One of my favorite fish (for peaceful Swimming , searching, exploring personality).
APTASIA LOVER!!!! too.
Hope he does well.

Unread 02/27/2018, 08:58 AM   #98
JonezNReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Whoa. Sorry about the Clown and Leaking bag.

Once I brought a nice fish home. Was taking bag out of tank after it warmed up and slippery wet bag.... I dropped it from like 5 feet onto hard floor. It never broke, but I figure fish got a Whack.
It died a week later.

At least you have the CopperBand. I love them.
One of my favorite fish (for peaceful Swimming , searching, exploring personality).
APTASIA LOVER!!!! too.
Hope he does well.
The CB is one of my favorite fish out there and this one is quickly becoming the favorite I own. I hope it continues to do well too. Next test will be to put a LPS in the QT and see how he reacts to it.

Unread 03/04/2018, 10:12 PM   #99
JonezNReef
Registered Member

So far the fish are still doing well. They are eating well and fattening up. I put more Aptasia in the QT in hopes of keeping the CBB interested in it.

Unread 03/05/2018, 12:34 AM   #100
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
So far the fish are still doing well. They are eating well and fattening up. I put more Aptasia in the QT in hopes of keeping the CBB interested in it.
Cultivating and Keeping Aptasia. The CRAZY things we do.
One mans curse is another Fish's Tasty Treasure.

I've been there before. With my Coperband (years ago), I used to squish and poke apatsia so they would spread.

My kitchen Tank is getting a BIT out of control on Aptasia.
For now I got two peppermint shrimp (Two days ago).
The guy at the store Yanked a Aptasia from Sandbed, at put it into the small holding tank of Perpermints. They went nuts on the piece.

Eventually when I have time, I may also get a Coperband.