Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2019, 12:51 PM   #1
ReefTron5000
Registered Member

How would you set up flow in this tank?

My tank dimensions are 48"x 30"x 19". This iteration of the tank has been set up for 3 years but I've never felt like I've had the flow just right. My most recent flow setup has consisted of:

1. Icecap 3K on the left side
2. Tunze on bottom left of tank, angled up at 45 degrees against back wall
3. Koralia 3rd gen 2450 against overflow wall, angled up towards middle of tank
4. Very small koralia evo I had sitting around. Positioned against back glass, at the bottom pointing up slightly.

The Icecap (which sucks, don't buy) just went out so I need a new "main" powerhead. The biggest issue I have is that I've got some kind of algae that builds up specifically in the circled spot. I'm assuming its a basic cyano but not 100% sure. Its VERY stubborn -- simply blowing it off/suctioning doesn't work. In general, I feel like my flow is not great towards the bottom of the tank as that is where my main algea buildup is.

The second issue is that for whatever freakin reason, I just can't get coralline growth on the back wall and again, I think it may be related to flow. I get coralline on rocks, powerheads and oddly, on the overflow wall, but not on the back wall. A different type of algea tends to build up there over time, not sure exactly what type. Thats the main reason I've got that #2 powerhead aimed against that wall.

Sorry for the long post. Any flow/powerhead suggestions would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards another Gyre (Maxspect this time) but I'm also open to getting something different and completely changing my flow layout if it makes sense. Just not sure how to hit the problem spots.

Sorry for the old, crappy late night pic.

ReefTron5000 is offline   Reply With Quote