Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2014, 02:05 PM   #276
Relativity
Registered Member

Where did you buy hydrogen peroxide

Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2014, 02:08 PM   #277
takaiguchi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativity View Post
Where did you buy hydrogen peroxide

You can get 3% from any pharmacy. My local Walgreens had it.

Taka Iguchi
takaiguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 08:22 AM   #278
mandrieu
Registered Member

For what is worth, I tried dosing h2o2 for 1 week and the only thing I accomplished was to ****-off my already unhappy corals. But I read it has worked for some, much like any other method.

As a technology guy, which I am, it strikes me we can send men to space but we can't figure out how to beat these microscopic little things. Amazing.

Common sense is a very uncommon sense...
My Tank: 125 G Mixed Reef. Kessil 360. Reef Octopus BH2000.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gallon Reef, Kessil 360
mandrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 09:57 AM   #279
Surly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrieu View Post
As a technology guy, which I am, it strikes me we can send men to space but we can't figure out how to beat these microscopic little things. Amazing.
Philosophically I agree with you (I'm in technology as well). The problem is, a truly exact approach would require far more analysis, work and money than anyone would ever consider reasonable. You'd need a positive ID of your specific dino strain(s) via DNA, a profile of the major strains of bacteria living in your system (and in particular, what bacteria are living in symbiosis with the dinos), and a thorough analysis of your tank chemistry. Then, armed with that data and PhD's in marine microbiology and organic chemistry, you could develop a specific plan of attack. But you'd have to continually monitor all those parameters as you began the treatment regimen and modify it as you go, because the tank is a complex organic system and will react in unpredictable ways. This is no doubt a lot like the world oncologists live in.

When it comes down to it, practical knowledge and experience are far more useful than theory in solving problems like this. Unfortunately, those come at the cost of great pain over time. But look at it this way - if you beat them, someone will eventually be asking YOU for advice about dinos in their tank!

Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 10:01 AM   #280
ryan1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
The problem is, a truly exact approach would require far more analysis, work and money than anyone would ever consider reasonable.
Lets get the crowd fund going! I'm in for $100

ryan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 10:33 AM   #281
mandrieu
Registered Member

Yep, that's the way it is. Anyway, getting back on track, I finally got PH somewhat stable at 8.5 so once lights go out tonight I'll keep the tank dark for 3 or 4 days and see how it goes.

Unread 06/26/2014, 11:35 AM   #282
Pants
Registered Member

The really ironic thing is that my biggest problem is in getting these things to stay alive in the lab. Part of it is just inattention (I have a lot of other commitments), but the main issue I have is that contaminating algae out-compete dinos in the nutrient rich media I am accustomed to using. So I have the options of isolating the dinos and waiting the very long time it takes to go from a single cell to a large enough number to work with, or trying to find a medium that will allow the dinos to out-compete the other algae. And all of you have stumbled upon that magic dino medium by accident.

It would be nice if someone nearby with dinos could just give me 100 gallons of their water for me to use as growth medium.

Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 11:57 AM   #283
mandrieu
Registered Member

LOL - Pants, my tank is 125 G. I'll give you all that water if you take the dinos with it!

Unread 06/26/2014, 12:03 PM   #284
Pants
Registered Member

I've got over 100Gs of carboys here in the lab. I could empty your tank and steal away with all your lovely dinos. I suspect that wouldn't be great for the rest of your tank inhabitants, but even like 2 20G carboys full would help me out.

Unread 06/26/2014, 02:04 PM   #285
mandrieu
Registered Member

I haven't done a water change in 4 weeks trying to beat these demons, but eventually I'll have to do one, 20 or 30 gallons I guess, so we can probably figure something out. I'll be glad to do so. Ha! given how much progress I'm making you'll have to thank me for keeping your pets well fed and healthy!

Unread 06/26/2014, 05:59 PM   #286
Pants
Registered Member

You are so close I should at least get a sample of your bloom. What species do you think you have?

Unread 06/27/2014, 06:29 AM   #287
mandrieu
Registered Member

Pants: Comparing with the pics and videos you have at algaeid.com I would say I have Amphidinium. My microscope is crappy enough so I can't get good focus to distinguish the details but the shape and motion seem to match what you show up there.

Unread 06/30/2014, 09:58 AM   #288
Surly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
It would be nice if someone nearby with dinos could just give me 100 gallons of their water for me to use as growth medium.
Man, I wish I'd known you needed it - I scraped everything down and did a 100+ gallon water change last week, presumably with a lot of ostreopsis in it. I'm hoping to get the population under control here shortly but I'll be glad to get you water from my tank anytime, since I assume I'll always have some of them in the water column.

Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2014, 10:03 AM   #289
Pants
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrieu View Post
Pants: Comparing with the pics and videos you have at algaeid.com I would say I have Amphidinium. My microscope is crappy enough so I can't get good focus to distinguish the details but the shape and motion seem to match what you show up there.
Amphidinium are tiny so you'd need a good scope to see that wrinkle at the top. Any chance I could pick up a sample this week or weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
Man, I wish I'd known you needed it - I scraped everything down and did a 100+ gallon water change last week, presumably with a lot of ostreopsis in it. I'm hoping to get the population under control here shortly but I'll be glad to get you water from my tank anytime, since I assume I'll always have some of them in the water column.
I'd never really thought about getting a bunch of water with a sample until I mentioned it here. It probably would really help address my issues. I could also use the cell sorter to get a cleaner sample. Maybe pull a bunch of water off the day after you start a black out period so I'd have water and a bunch of dinos in the water column.

Unread 07/02/2014, 12:19 PM   #290
DNA
Registered Member

Update from my tank.
All the algae in the display tank is gone.
Almost all of the cyanobacteria is gone.
Got at least twice as many dinos as on my last update.
Calcium and alkalinity are now at more normal levels at 390 and 7.
I raised them with kalkwasser only and had the calcium reactor off.
That puts CO2 and Ca reactor contaminants on the sideline.
As a result the aquarium has been running at pH 8,3-8,5 for two weeks.
High pH is not a solution for Ostreopsis.

The outlook is not good, but time will tell.

---

Pants do you have a paper out yet?

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2014, 12:45 PM   #291
Pants
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Pants do you have a paper out yet?
No, but I don't expect the aquarium dino stuff to result in a paper. Its just for fun and to give back to the community.

Unread 07/12/2014, 09:23 AM   #292
Nevil
Registered Member

I had dino for over a month everything covered in them. I was keeping up by siphoning multiple times daily but as you know they were back within hours. On Wednesday I picked up a used uv sterilizer and small powerhead hooked it up shut off the lights and by the next day all of the dinos were gone. The uv sterilizer is oversized for my tank. Tank is 28 gal nano cube and the sterilizer is the 18 watt coralife 6x twist. Best $25 bucks I've spent recently. Anyways I hope my experience helps others. The only thing I did to get rid of them was add the uv and turned off lights for a day because the dinos go into water column when no light apparently.

Nevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2014, 10:03 AM   #293
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
No, but I don't expect the aquarium dino stuff to result in a paper. Its just for fun and to give back to the community.
Same here and I think I have added quite a few pieces to the puzzle.

Unread 07/12/2014, 10:11 AM   #294
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
I had dino for over a month everything covered in them. I was keeping up by siphoning multiple times daily but as you know they were back within hours. On Wednesday I picked up a used uv sterilizer and small powerhead hooked it up shut off the lights and by the next day all of the dinos were gone. The uv sterilizer is oversized for my tank. Tank is 28 gal nano cube and the sterilizer is the 18 watt coralife 6x twist. Best $25 bucks I've spent recently. Anyways I hope my experience helps others. The only thing I did to get rid of them was add the uv and turned off lights for a day because the dinos go into water column when no light apparently.
Same goes for filtersocks and skimmers, but still the dinos persist.
I'm sure UV works, but there will allways be dinos left, they multiply blindingly fast and they will maintain the population on the following day.

If UV is the answer I've not heard many if any success stories.
Perphaps with an over sized UV and for your type of dinos.

---

Almost forgot. I've tried UV for dinos. It was a small one and it had no impact, at all.

Unread 07/12/2014, 02:29 PM   #295
Kieth71
Registered Member

I have made some significant progress by dosing mb7 and no/pox. I am on my third water change and i don't see any signs of dinos. I also ran cuprisorb in my tank for about a month during this process. I am now just running carbon in a reactor. I also have a kalk reactor that i added along the way. I have my lights up to full cycle as well. I am dosing only 3 ml of no/pox and 20 ml of the mb/7 each day in a 140g tank. I also feed pretty heavy as the carbon dosing tends to drop nitrates a bit lower then i would like. I cant say for sure this will work for everyone but it has worked for a longer period then anything else i tried. The ultra algae x would work while i was dosing but as soon as i removed it the dinos would come back. Lights out periods beat them down but they would come back fast as soon as i turned the light cycle back up. I will say that i had them only growing on the rocks when i started this regiment.

Kieth71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 12:06 PM   #296
Pants
Registered Member

This is a bit off-topic so I apologize.

Since I set up the website to help people ID their dinos I've ben trying to expand it to other pest algae as well. I was very excited therefore when I found a nearly free frag of nearly dead goniopora with bryopsis growing on it. I could get some pictures of the bryopsis and nurse the goniopora back to health. Both the goniopora and the bryopsis have been doing wonderfully with new growth. Unfortunately this morning I caught my new toby puffer (~1.5") pecking at the frag and on closer examination the little guy ate ALL my bryopsis!

Unread 07/14/2014, 12:58 PM   #297
DNA
Registered Member

That's really interesting news Pants. Soon enaugh someone else will try this, hopefully with the same results.
I had bryopsis years ago and got rid of it with turf algae that turned out to be even worse than bryopsis.

- - -

My dinos are growing in numbers day by day and I don't like where it's heading.
Most of the sandbed has dinos now, but the rocks don't have any.
They are not producing oxigen or forming strings, yet.

As soon as the Cyanobacteria faded, dinos moved in.
I have a massive ball of Cheatomorpha in the sump so it's not a competition with a death grip on dinos.

Unread 07/16/2014, 06:28 AM   #298
TampaSnooker
Registered Member

FWIW, sea hares demolished my Bryopsis outbreak in a couple days.

Unread 07/30/2014, 11:28 AM   #299
TankCla
SPSychology

A few weeks ago I started a loosing battle with my dino's. Yesterday, in desperation, I dosed my first h2o2 (1ml/10g). This morning my acro crab was dead and my wife tells me she can see more dino's than before .
The only odd thing I saw in my tank, is that dino's are killing all my zoas. Only zoas.

DNA, I see you have a 1y long war with dino's, and from what I have read (not all 12 pages) there is no good cure for dinoflagellates. I hate the idea of loosing restarting my tank if nothing will kill them.

Current Tank Info: 75 gal mixed reef, 29 gallon sump, 6x54W(Giesemann) T5HO, Tunze 9410, 2xJebao RW15, Tunze Silence, DIY ato, RKE Titanium
TankCla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2014, 10:16 AM   #300
rocknut
Rocky

Any opinions on how biopellets react with dinoflagellates? I have been dealing with dinos since April of this year, and am trying to formulate a plan going forward, but can't seem to find much info on the use of biopellets.

The dinos that I have had have had a minimal amount of the typical "snot" like build up on the rocks and sand, but have stayed mostly bubbles attached to the ends of the long hair like structures. About six weeks ago now, I removed my biopellet reactor that had been running for the previous 10 months just to see if it would help with the dinos, treated with Chemiclean, and did a lights out for 3 days. Once I brought the lights back on I was basically dino free, so I started the biopellets up again. Everything was looking good until last weekend when I decided to increase the flow thru my pellet reactor as I wasn't seeing much of a nutrient reduction yet, and the increase in flow caused a layer of biofilm to be released (noticed on the surface of the water in my sump). By the next day I could see the dinos popping back up...

So, wondering if anyone else has found that the dinos can feed on the bacteria being released from the biopellets? I do have the effluent from my pellets feeding directly into the skimmer, but the presence of the biofilm in the sump must mean that the skimmer wasn't processing all of the bacteria, and at least some of it was making its way to the water column. Now I'm not sure if I should leave the pellets going as they are now doing a good job of reducing nutrients, but are possibly feeding the dinos at the same time?

Current Tank Info: Envision 150 gallon, ATI 8x54w, 30" Venturi skimmer, Neptune Apex flow and dosing
rocknut is offline   Reply With Quote