Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2010, 12:01 PM   #1
thebanker
Moved On

Post iPhone / iPad / Android Reef Apps

So far, these are the ones I have tried. Feel free to add posts about the apps you've tried, there are more and more popping up all the time.

iPhone Apps

Aquarium Abbreviations - 2/5 stars | Okay app, just has a list of the various abbreviations used in the hobby, mainly on the web. (LFS, DSB, etc) Don't expect anything more from this app.

Aquaria - 3/5 stars | Has a fairly clean interface, nice fish compatibility chart, and a place to record water tests. It also has a screen that averages the numbers you input. The page to record your test results could use a little tweaking. Also, a graphing function would be more useful than an averaging function, IMO.

Dose - 3/5 stars | This is Seachem's application. The GUI is clean and easy to use. It has dosing rates for all Seachem products - except for Reef Fusion 2-part! Why did they overlook this? Also they should allow the input of dKH for alkalinity, not just meq/L. Update this app and you have a solid dosing application for seachem products. Edit: It also has calculators for planted tanks.

ReefDoser - 3/5 stars | This app is off to a great start. It is similar to jdieck's web calculator. It has an easier to use interface, but it doesn't contain as many calcium and alkalinity supplements. However, it does have calculators for K, I, Sr, B, and silicate dosing. Again, could stand an update with some more products from which to choose.

aquaPlanner - 4/5 stars | I was given this app to test, and I really like it's concept. It's simple. Set the desired intervals for various aquarium maintenance chores, and the phone sends you reminders to actually do them. When you complete a particular task (e.g. change the activated carbon), you click the respective reset button, and the clock starts ticking again. The app works well, and is a good reminder tool for the novice / intermediate hobbyist.

For advanced aquarists, I would like to see some user-editable content in the app. For example, one could maybe change "Chemi-Pure" to "Biopellets" and be able to numerically assign the time intervals, instead of using sliders. Also, adding and removing reminders to suit one's individual tank would be the key, like adding a "clean the sump" reminder.

iPad Apps

Coral Magazine - 5/5 stars | So far, this is the only iPad reef app I've seen and it is a fantastic e-magazine. They grouped the articles together for easy browsing, and it easily sucked up an hour of the day yesterday. It's nothing flashy, but as an e-mag (e-zine?) it works flawlessly as promised.

Last edited by Dino; 01/24/2011 at 01:38 PM.
thebanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2010, 12:11 PM   #2
thebanker
Moved On

This thread is the best I could find for Blackberry apps.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1806561

Unread 08/31/2010, 12:33 PM   #3
JG1
Registered Member

What about the Neptune Apex app. You can control the whole tank from your phone, and on the android version you can have a widget on your home screen showing you the temp and ph at all times.

JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2010, 12:37 PM   #4
patmack
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1 View Post
What about the Neptune Apex app. You can control the whole tank from your phone, and on the android version you can have a widget on your home screen showing you the temp and ph at all times.
The aquanotes app for Neptuen systmes is awesome!!

patmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2010, 12:47 PM   #5
thebanker
Moved On

Good to know! Thanks for the update.

Unread 09/01/2010, 04:14 PM   #6
TellyFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1 View Post
+1 this is the best App

Current Tank Info: Hawaiian inspired 109g Miracles Rimless - 100g Prop Tank - 300g total system volume
TellyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2010, 06:43 PM   #7
thebanker
Moved On

I wish they had more quality apps for us low-tech guys not using a RKE or ACII module to run our setups. Like a nice logbook with places for pictures to monitor the qualitative characteristics of our tanks (algae growth, coral color, fish behavior).

Unread 09/01/2010, 07:33 PM   #8
jeff@zina.com
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
Like a nice logbook with places for pictures to monitor the qualitative characteristics of our tanks (algae growth, coral color, fish behavior).
I think many would argue that's not a suitable app for mobile use. Desktop, laptop, maybe even Netbook, but not really a mobile device app.

Jeff

jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2010, 07:37 PM   #9
thebanker
Moved On

But with most smart phones, that information could be easily captured with a built in camera and date stamped.

Unread 09/01/2010, 09:27 PM   #10
allactiondan
Registered Member

Invert Pocket Reference
iPhone App.
Some good info on Inverts (surprise!)
Needs more inverts added to the list. It has not been updated for almost 1 year now, so I don't think they will make any additions any time soon.
I would say 3.5/5 stars

allactiondan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2010, 09:42 PM   #11
danel
Registered Member.

What exactly can you control from your iphone with the apex app? I'm looking into getting an apex system

danel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2010, 08:31 AM   #12
IAReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danel View Post
What exactly can you control from your iphone with the apex app? I'm looking into getting an apex system
Pretty much anything!

IAReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2010, 07:02 PM   #13
jeff@zina.com
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAReefer View Post
Pretty much anything!
+1 -- If it connects to the Apex, it can be controlled.

Jeff

jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2010, 07:11 PM   #14
JG1
Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZvif6APEiU

JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2010, 12:50 PM   #15
TulsaReef
Registered Member

I saw some posts saying that it did not work fully with the Apex system because the Apex has a web server built in...anyone using this app with the Apex Lite system?

-Bill

TulsaReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2010, 07:35 PM   #16
oceangor
Registered Member

Anything for android yet?

oceangor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2010, 08:17 PM   #17
rayn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangor View Post
Anything for android yet?
There is the reef ready calc, but it does volume, GPH of flow, and sand depth based on dimensions. Not sure what else yet.

Oh, then there are a few wallpaper apps of reefs

Unread 12/28/2010, 05:49 PM   #18
thebanker
Moved On

One here! 99 to go.

Unread 12/28/2010, 05:54 PM   #19
thebanker
Moved On

iPad Apps

Coral Magazine - 5/5 stars | So far, this is the only iPad reef app I've seen and it is a fantastic e-magazine. They grouped the articles together for easy browsing, and it easily sucked up an hour of the day yesterday. It's nothing flashy, but as an e-mag (e-zine?) it works flawlessly as promised.

If possible, can I get a mod to move the above ^ to the original post?

Unread 12/28/2010, 05:56 PM   #20
thebanker
Moved On

Come on, devs! Lets get some iPad / retina display apps out there.

What I would love: a way to log data (like activities performed on the tank), record pictures, graph the data, and find correlations between causes and effects using an iPad interface.

Unread 12/28/2010, 05:57 PM   #21
btkrausen
Fish Hoarder

Just bought the Apex App for the Droid. Works great. Nice to have everything as a widget right on my home screen. Opened up the port for my Apex and now I'll be able to keep an eye on it even when traveling. Thanks for this great thread.

Unread 12/28/2010, 05:59 PM   #22
thebanker
Moved On

Thanks for the app review. Keep them coming. I don't have a controller, so anyone else who runs these Apex apps, please chime in!

Unread 12/30/2010, 11:30 AM   #23
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btkrausen View Post
Just bought the Apex App for the Droid. Works great. Nice to have everything as a widget right on my home screen. Opened up the port for my Apex and now I'll be able to keep an eye on it even when traveling. Thanks for this great thread.
Do you know if this works for a Palm pre phone? Do you have to rebuy the app if you change phones? Also do you download from your phone or computer?

Thanks

Unread 01/03/2011, 06:27 PM   #24
aleonn
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments on the Aqua Notes. I'll check it out, since I just got the Apex.

aleonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2011, 01:11 AM   #25
wickedfish
Moved On

Apex without aqua notes is like car without gas.

wickedfish is offline   Reply With Quote