Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/20/2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Cliving1
Registered Member

Acquiring a new haddoni

If anyone has read my earlier post titled Haddoni mouth out, you know I have had issues bringing it back to good health. My lfs did a great job sourcing and is getting me another green haddoni for 45. Currently its at the store, and will stay there for a few days. My question is, should I remove my current, small, unhealthy haddoni and see if my lfs can bring it to life? Or can they share the same tank (potentially touch) and I can see if the current recovers. Would like to hear some thoughts, thanks.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 04:04 PM   #2
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
If anyone has read my earlier post titled Haddoni mouth out, you know I have had issues bringing it back to good health. My lfs did a great job sourcing and is getting me another green haddoni for 45. Currently its at the store, and will stay there for a few days. My question is, should I remove my current, small, unhealthy haddoni and see if my lfs can bring it to life? Or can they share the same tank (potentially touch) and I can see if the current recovers. Would like to hear some thoughts, thanks.
If your current one is unhealthy I wouldn't run the risk of putting them in the same tank as the other may be carrying a pathogen which could infect the other.

fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Cliving1
Registered Member

Good point. So lets say I swap it with the lfs, and he treats the current one. How long would I have to wait in between before introducing the new one?

Unread 12/20/2017, 08:12 PM   #4
pfan151
Registered Member

Do you have a current pic of the one you have now? Seems unlikely that it would’nt be dead by now if it was actually sick.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2017, 08:22 PM   #5
Cliving1
Registered Member

I can get one up tomorrow, lights are off. Its reduced to 3" in diameter. Been in this state for months, no change, got my nitrates under control which I thought was the issue. So odd, it keeps clinging on.

Unread 12/21/2017, 02:12 AM   #6
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
Good point. So lets say I swap it with the lfs, and he treats the current one. How long would I have to wait in between before introducing the new one?
Me personally I would put straight into a hospital tank and observe. You could then medicate straight away if needed, or medicate just a precaution.

I'm not sure if any potential pathogen's would linger around in your system or what the safe time period would be to introduce a new nem after removing a sick one, but if you put your new one in a hospital tank and treat then say observe for a week or two then you have given you system a bit of breathing space, some time to do some good size water changes etc.

fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Cliving1
Registered Member

Posted originally in July

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171221_173211.jpg (61.7 KB, 55 views)
Unread 12/21/2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Cliving1
Registered Member

This was it originally, was about 6-8" in diameter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170227_180908.jpg (65.4 KB, 56 views)
Unread 12/22/2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Cliving1
Registered Member

You can see its reduced in size, thrown its mouth out. Not sure what else to do with it

Unread 12/26/2017, 09:24 AM   #10
Cliving1
Registered Member

Should be getting the anemone this week I think. Anyone have orher suggestions after seeing the pics?

Unread 12/26/2017, 10:26 AM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

I get that little red one. Usually protruded mouth have to do with poor environmental conditions rather than sick anemones, IME. Should correct with better condition.

Good luck

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 11:12 AM   #12
Cliving1
Registered Member

Yeah I did some massive water changes to get my nitrates down from 50. But all other coal looks good, not sure what the problem is.

Unread 12/26/2017, 11:27 AM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

Nitrates is only a major contaminants. Toxic of some minor substance is often the cause, or multiple substances. The point is putting another anemone in the same condition will likely result in the same thing. I would keep on changing the water and vacuum the sand bed. If you have a functional sand bed your nitrates should not reach that high. I was able to get my carpet back to health by keep doing large water change

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 12/26/2017, 11:45 AM   #14
Cliving1
Registered Member

I will keep up on the water changes, and on the next one vac the sand bed. I traditionally dont touch it, but its worth trying something new at this point. Thanks for the help. Will probably ask the lfs to hold for a bit longer.

Unread 12/26/2017, 11:49 AM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

If you can easily move the rock, vacuum 1/3 of the sand bed at a time. The live in the undicturbed parts will spead out and repopulate the “new” part