Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2014, 02:11 PM   #8051
Spenca6
Registered Member

Spenca6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2014, 06:23 AM   #8052
Voodoo Corals
Moved On

Hello everyone!! i thought i already introduced myself but i guess i didnt. i have been reefing for a few years now. The only thing i have not done in regards to reefing is a calk reactor .

Voodoo Corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2014, 06:44 AM   #8053
Mason91
Registered Member

Hi everyone,
New to this forum, had a small reef tank in the past but currently have a little goldfish bowl whilst I'm studying and working full time. Will slowly work on some designs for a nice shallow lidless cube in the next 12-18 months though
So yeah... Not terribly experienced and believe more in a low tech approach but have a little bit of book knowledge.
From NSW, Australia.
Mason

Mason91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2014, 08:02 AM   #8054
nitinsinha
Registered Member

Hi all from India,

Been a member of aquarium online communities. some years back my most prized possession, 300 gallon marine tank broke in the middle of the night. imagine the horror (still dont know how). all the livestock survived and passed onto fellow mariners. now i want to start again. have most of the equipment required but dont remember how to start again. i have a 48X36X18 tank which i used for QT back then. I also have eheim filter, protein skimmer, 10000L/h wave maker, 100 kg dead rock and other such things. maybe also some lighting equipment. back then we used MH but now its all LED I think. All the contacts of suppliers and friends in Delhi/NCR gone. Kindly help me to get back into hobby. its not about budget this time but the space. All I can afford to lose in my home now is 4Ft. tank (Nano) so kindly guide me to start the hobby again.

I will need a new chiller. Also suggest the display tank size etc. I would like to convert the present tank to sump. Please help with schematics.

Thanks & Regards

nitinsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2014, 11:48 AM   #8055
harofam
Registered Member

Hello hi, I'm new to this have had my 29g tank for about Two months I have two blue fin watchmen Gobi two chromis and just ordered my clean up crew should be her in a couple days I have only a t8 coral life but soon will be led thats my next thing to buy I use a 75 gallon api filstar canister filter and plan on making a sump with an extra tank I have, uploadfromtaptalk1410716931286.jpg

harofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2014, 06:00 PM   #8056
minhha2006
Registered Member

Hi All,

My name is Minh, and I am BRAND new to the hobby. I've been lurking for a bit, but I think I finally want to start a build. Thanks for all the info in advance!

Cheers!

minhha2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2014, 02:31 PM   #8057
AdamPLawrence
Registered Member

Have had a Marine tank for a while want to get into Reefing

Hey everyone!

Love the form and all the awesome advice I see on here!

-Adam

AdamPLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2014, 06:35 PM   #8058
CSlater21
Registered Member

And so the Adventure Begins

Hi Guys,

First post here, though I have been reading like crazy. I just acquired a complete setup and am looking for a bit of advice on my setup from all you veterns.

I picked up a SeaClear II 75g Tank. It is complete with a stand, Skimmer, lights, UV, 20g open tank as a sump, Live Rock, sand and 6 fish.

The guy I picked it up from was a really nice guy, but the tank was not very well taken care of. I got the whole system for $275. I was pretty excited.

As stated I sure hope you guys can help me get this thing finalized and setup properly.

I have the Live rock in tubs with the mature salt water and the fish and some rock in 2 20g holding tanks. The fish are doing well.

I will provide a equipment list shortly.

Thanks and I am super excited to get this up and running.

CSlater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 09:27 AM   #8059
boon_hogganbeck
Registered Member

Hi everybody, I'm getting back into the hobby after a 20 year hiatus. I used to keep cichlids & syno cats, but I really wanted a reef. Couldn't do it as we lived way back in the mountains and didn't have access to saltwater fish. I made the mistake of browsing Craigslist the other day....picked up a 27 gallon cube w/ a protein skimmer, heater, LED, and a canister filter (which I'm junking for an HOB). We hope to keep soft corals & LPS. Thanks for the great advice on here. My biggest obstacle is that I'm 2.5 hours from any decent LFS, but we'll make it work somehow.

boon_hogganbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 12:30 PM   #8060
Gooey
Registered Member

Hello Everyone. I've wanted a saltwater tank since I was a child, but as a "Navy brat" and then with my own career in the U.S. Navy, an aquarium did not fit into that lifestyle of frequent moves. Having retired from the Navy and now with a steady civilian job, my wife is onboard with the idea of a reef tank. I really like the Red Sea Max C250, but looking at other options such as the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20, 30L or 40 to ease into the hobby. I'll be looking for advice in other threads. Glad to be here!

Gooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 05:58 PM   #8061
Headave
Registered Member

We are new to this forum and new to the hobby. I think we are way in over our heads. We purchased a 3 year old 120 gallon reef tank setup. We had it professionally moved and set up as the focal point to our living room. Tank has 1 lg blue tang, 2 orange clowns , 1 black and white clown, 2 yellow wrasse, 2 large construction eels and a coral angel. We also have a number of beautiful corals although we lost or large cauliflower last week. I tried to frag what was still viable but with no success. Tank has been in our home for 3 months
We purchased a beautiful lemon peel a few weeks ago but he died within 2 days and we have no clue why. We constantly get conflicting advice from the 2 stores we do business with. Feed corals.. Don't feed... Buy fish ...don't buy fish ... I would like to add some corals but have no clue what to ad. Our tank lacks colour We have a large beige hammer , pale frog spawn, lots of pink mushrooms and a brain coral as well as a green flower pot coral that is looking a bit upset at the moment. Advice is welcome
Sal is 1.026, Ph is 8.2 , dkh is 10 , temp 80.

Headave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 09:24 PM   #8062
ND80
Registered Member

Hello all

Been lurking around this forum about a month now.

Interested in starting a reef tank.

I had a fresh water tank in the past but got rid of it because I was deploying.... Gave it my whole setup to nursing home my mother in-law works at...

I will be piecing together components and love building stuff myself. The 1st thing i'm going to try my hand at is a led setup for the aquarium. I'm an electrician by trade so should be a good side project. Once i get that all working then I want to try building the tank.

Any info you might of come across in the past for dyi led setups would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ND

ND80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2014, 10:48 PM   #8063
aliciaearnest
Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

My name is Alicia, I am 25 years old. I currently work as a little bit of everything (receiving, ordering, customer service, sales, secretary, ...) in a high end furniture store but my husband and I are in the process of opening our own brewery.

I always had a fascination for Saltwater Aquarium but except for my few Betta Fish I do not have any experience with the Fish world. I have been talking with a friend who has a gorgeous reef tank and decided that wanted my own.

I am not intending to setup my first tank anytime soon as I know absolutely nothing about having a saltwater tank. I need to learn about everything to be ready. I did though, found an amazing deal for the aquarium and could not pass up. I found a gorgeous 72 Gallon Reef Ready Bowfront for almost free and it is the only piece that I have so far.

I cannot wait to have my own tank ready but I want to do things right.

aliciaearnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 12:14 AM   #8064
AquaGirlAZ
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I just joined tonight. My good friend "dotcommer" recommended I start here to start learning about the hobby. This site is amazing.

AquaGirlAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 11:04 AM   #8065
LaRusic
Registered Member

Hey, been browsing the forums quite a bit, soon will be putting together a 55g marine tank, my first go at it.

love the site!

LaRusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 12:11 PM   #8066
zahi
Registered Member

building my dry rock wall options

hello all,

actually im new to this hobby but doing research over a year please help which aquascaping i do, or if u have good ideas for me , i have 55 gallons tank , please find attached pics of dead rocks .

zahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 05:59 PM   #8067
pcriv3833
Registered Member

Headave: I'm also relatively new to this....but have discovered that some things need to be payed close attention to. Your water temperature is too high to start with. Most coral and marine life seem to like temps around 74-78. I had my tank getting kinda hot too and bought a used chiller to keep my tank at 74-77. I don't like it dipping to 74, but I need a new thermostat for the chiller. Also, keep checking your nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels. If ANY of these levels are above zero with the exception of nitrate, do a 30-40% water change. My nitrates have been just over 40ppm for months and I can't seem to get them down no matter what I try. But at 40ppm, my coral and fish seem quite happy.

pcriv3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 06:03 PM   #8068
pcriv3833
Registered Member

Headave: Also try lowering you salt level a tad when you do a water change. Try to get it closer to 1.022-1.023. Too much salt is as bad as not enough.

pcriv3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 10:04 AM   #8069
Tankerblade
Registered Member

Howdy, been a lurkin here for years (had another username but must have been deleted due to inactivity) through the various dream cycles of having a reef tank, started off with a beta to planning and acquiring stuff for a 280g till life hit and funds ran out. Now just wanting to set up a standard little 29g with sump and automation for kicks since I have more time then what I know what to do with in a little apartment. however this will be a long drawn out process since I wont start anything till I get back from a deployment mid next year.

Thanks for the wealth of info and keep up the great work guys!

Tankerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 04:55 PM   #8070
nelbo
Registered Member

new to the site but not new to reefing

hi everyone. im nelson. new to this site but been reefing for a couple years now

i like to collect higher end corals (sps, lps, softies...im not biased-lol)
currently searching for a snipersSPS red devil mushroom to add to my shroom garden (currently have wwc bounce, wowser, darwin, sc fukishima, tie dye/jawbreaker)

nelbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 06:48 PM   #8071
Jdai
Registered Member

Hi,
My name is Jorge and I just joined. I started this hobby in 2010 and i'm planning to rebuild my 250g tank. I did some research and this forum is amazing!

Jdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 11:09 PM   #8072
Jimmy_31
Registered Member

Hey y'all! New to RC and the saltwater hobby. Have the tank (36g)cycling (I believe---ammonia,NO2, NO3 cranked up anyway). It has been about 2 weeks already. NH3 hit the roof sometime Sunday (I was out of town) and doesn't seem to be dropping or is just dropping VERY slow. NO2 and NO3 are also pegged out. I assume it's normal and will stabilize itself. Water is crystal clear at least. Didn't "kick start" the cycle with anything like shrimp or ammonia. Up to 27ish lbs. of cured LR and I put about 10lbs of LS in as well. I did do a water change this evening. It wasn't a large one though, 20%ish. I have some logistical stuff to figure out regarding changes (live in an apartment).Got my marine orbital LED in today so, I am excited about that. This site has already given me a wealth of information.

TONS of little critter hitch hikers already populating the tank in and around my LR. I haven't seen anything "undesirable" come out of the rock --- yet. I did see one of my little brittle stars come into contact with an orange/black (head end orange, tail end black) bristle worm and one of his little legs fell off. I presume he was dying due to water condition and the BW was just doing his job

Anywho, It doesn't bother me that this is a "patience" hobby. I am easily amused by the little things in my tank already. What kind of got me into wanting a SW tank was when I learned to dive while in Guam. I look forward to being able to have a small piece of that!

Good to meet y'all!

Jimmy_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 04:38 AM   #8073
pwh101
Registered Member

Hi, My name is Paul and have just started with my reef tank. I have had setups before starting with Tropical.
I have a Vision 180 with live rock and just 5 Chromis. My set up is with internal and external filtration and prism Protein skimmer.
I am returning after a very long illness and I'm looking forward to adding not just fish and critters but also Corals and anemones.
Thank you all in advance for your invaluable advice when needed. Regards. Paul

pwh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 09:35 AM   #8074
JonnyOcean
Registered Member

Good morning. Newbie to the forum. I have had some experience with fresh water tanks. SittingSitting on a 55, and a 45 acrylic cube now. All dry. My stand is custom, for a 75 which I will purchase soon. Just getting into the game now, and doing my research. The plan is a mixed tank. Looking forward to seeking your knowledge!

JonnyOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 10:20 AM   #8075
wild1
Registered Member

Hi RC I'm kind of new here. I had a F W tank for decades in NY, when I moved to Florida I started in S W 1st a 45 gal then 75 now,I have a 90 gal. mixed reef,30 gal refugium, RO skimmer & 8 bulb T-5 light set up. I would post a few pics, but that's my problem, I cant figure out how to do that. I am not computer smart, so there in lies my problem (sorry if this is the wrong thread), I had tried to figure it out with out much success.

Last edited by wild1; 09/19/2014 at 10:27 AM.
wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral