Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/30/2009, 04:43 PM   #26
ethank77
Registered Member

here is mine ro di in rubber made mixed salt is made in old 55 gal tank

hosed in shed where I have a testing station adn supply room dedicated to my reefs

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:10 PM.
ethank77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2009, 11:06 PM   #27
dipan
Registered Member

Plumbed to a whole different building ... sweeet ...

dipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2009, 11:08 PM   #28
dipan
Registered Member

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:11 PM.
Unread 10/04/2009, 07:46 PM   #29
Los
Registered Member

I just posted a substantial update on my build thread showing my water change system in substantial detail, walking through a 10 minute water change. So that you don't have to go through the whole build thread, here's a link to the page:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...335781&page=12

.\ ~ / The Big Mo' - in honor of Trey and Matt

Current Tank Info: 360 reef / 700 system with 4xSfiligoi XR6s, Sfiligoi XR4, BubbleKing 300 Deluxe Internal, Deltec PF601s, PM Kalk, Deltec FR616, Deltec FR509, AquaController APEX, Tunze 6305, 2x6205, 2x6101, 6100, 3xDart Golds, Barracuda, Snapper, 2xOceans Motions
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2009, 06:52 AM   #30
dipan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
I just posted a substantial update on my build thread showing my water change system in substantial detail, walking through a 10 minute water change. So that you don't have to go through the whole build thread, here's a link to the page:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...335781&page=12
Looks like a sweet setup Los ... I like your inline reservoir, basically a waterchange sump.

Unread 10/08/2009, 11:46 AM   #31
Los
Registered Member

Thanks, Dipan. That was the idea. It allows me to take it offline and make a water change without having to disconnect my auto-top-off system or even my return pump. Everything keeps running as normal, with the simple twist of one valve, and I can do the water change with 5 or 10 minutes work. Making chores easy is a good way to make sure they happen regularly!

.\ ~ / The Big Mo' - in honor of Trey and Matt

Current Tank Info: 360 reef / 700 system with 4xSfiligoi XR6s, Sfiligoi XR4, BubbleKing 300 Deluxe Internal, Deltec PF601s, PM Kalk, Deltec FR616, Deltec FR509, AquaController APEX, Tunze 6305, 2x6205, 2x6101, 6100, 3xDart Golds, Barracuda, Snapper, 2xOceans Motions
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2009, 01:39 AM   #32
MrineLfRlz
Registered Member

here is my simple setup i did for right now
im using just 3/4" pvc and running a MAG18 pump i hope it holds up ok i will be using this setup till i finally get to upgrade my tank upstairs to a much bigger one then i will purchase a 100 tank and us this 55 poly as a fresh water container

Current Tank Info: BubbleMagus(calc.,alk/Clearwater CW-300 Scrubber//56wAQUA UV/Reef Oct.SRO6000SSS Protein sk./1/10HP Chiller/GENESIS AWC

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:12 PM.
MrineLfRlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2009, 05:45 PM   #33
connecticut cichlids
Craft Beer Geek

I figured it was about time to post a pic of my simple, but effective salt mixing station. Top Brute is 44g which holds the RO/DI, gravity feeds the bottom Brute which is 20g. water and salt are then mixed, and pumped from the 20g brute via a Mag 5 to my sump. Temp and pH of the newly mixed salt water are fully monitored by a dedicated SL1 module connected to my RKE

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:12 PM.
connecticut cichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2009, 03:19 AM   #34
MarkusII
Registered Member

Hello,

I am just doing an installation (not yet finished). Here is my solution.
It will allow an easy water change in the fish room in the room below the tank.
You just have to stop the circulation pump; then you can open a valve below the sump allowing to drain a 55g chamber of the sump. Then you close again the valve. Now you can pump from another 55g tank fresh saltwater (the tank has a water pipe to fill and a small pump for circulation till the salt has dissolved) to the sump. Then just start the return pump again - water change done within minutes.
It is not yet ready completely (therefore no picture available)
but here is a picture of the sump with some drawings how it will be set up.
(red is the 55g sump part which can be drained via a valve), yellow the position of the tank for preparing the fresh saltwater, blue the return plumbing
quick water change system (on the right side of the sump will be the tank for fresh water to compensate evaporation)

regards

Markus

MarkusII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2009, 07:49 AM   #35
Indymann99
Registered Member

Quick question. Why does everybody have a separate RO storage tank?

I do the following:
1. Fill mix tank directly with RO.
2. When mix tank is full with fresh RO add salt.
3. Salt mixes for x period of time (days to weeks) Mag pump heater and airstone.
4. Pump water out of mix tank to sump for water changes.
5. Fill mix tank with RO and start all over again.

I just dont see the need for the additional RO storage tank. ???

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...DSC_0098-1.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...99/MixRoom.jpg

Unread 12/23/2009, 08:13 AM   #36
connecticut cichlids
Craft Beer Geek

The reason for me having the storage tank is so that I can have a volume of water on hand for emergencies, if they should happen, also to fill up my top-off resavoir.

Unread 12/23/2009, 08:15 AM   #37
Hawkdl2
Mad Scientist

Manual water changes should be a thing of the past. Sophisticated controllers are only a couple of hundred dollars and allow hands-off continual or frequent low volume water changes. It is easy to program and requires nothing more than a couple of float switches and two peristaltic pumps. Mine is set up to exchange about 1.5 gal 4 times per week in a ~120 gal system, though I can set it to exchange any number of times per day or week at up to about 3 or 4 gal at a time (up to the practical head room in the sump). Low volume frequent exchanges means no heater in the NSW tank (less $$$), no PVC plumbing all over the house, no large pumps, no ph, alk, cal or temp swings in the tank, and I don't have to be anywhere near the tank when they happen - i.e. they continue during vacations, etc.

My station is ~70ft away in my garage.

I'm working on a salt hopper so I can program the system to also automatically make NSW, based on conductivity, but until I figure that out, I still have to make NSW once a month.

The system is controllable at the tank or through by cell phone while I'm in the garage or away on vacation.

Current Tank Info: 120g mixed reef.
Hawkdl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2009, 08:18 AM   #38
kc350twin
Registered Member

I have two tanks due to my supply water being on the first floor and I pump it upstairs. I will soon plumb th fish room and won't need to do it.
I think a lot of people use it as top off water for evaporation. I like to have emergency water on hand just incase I need to mix some water fast.

Unread 12/23/2009, 08:24 AM   #39
Indymann99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by connecticut cichlids View Post
The reason for me having the storage tank is so that I can have a volume of water on hand for emergencies, if they should happen, also to fill up my top-off resavoir.
Having volume of RO to fill up the top off reservoir makes sense.

I have a 15g pressure tank connected to my RO (as it also serves the drinking water for the house) so I fill up my 5g ATO reservoir from that.

By filling my Mix tank and mixing salt after every water change I always have mixed, heated, and aged SW ready for an emergency.

Thanks for the info.

Unread 12/23/2009, 10:40 AM   #40
dwhanc00
Registered Member

Wish I had the room!

dwhanc00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2009, 05:37 PM   #41
Hartdude
Premium Member

Here's mine. I have two containers, the one on the left is the freshwater, the one on the right is the saltwater. They are linked in the middle with a check valve that only allows the water to flow from left to right. In the SW container, I have a airstone, and two Koralias for circulation. Exiting the SW container, I have a Mag 12 to pump it all upstairs (I connect a Python hose). Rudimentary, but serves the purpose.

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:13 PM.
Hartdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2009, 05:41 PM   #42
Hartdude
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymann99 View Post
Quick question. Why does everybody have a separate RO storage tank?

I do the following:
1. Fill mix tank directly with RO.
2. When mix tank is full with fresh RO add salt.
3. Salt mixes for x period of time (days to weeks) Mag pump heater and airstone.
4. Pump water out of mix tank to sump for water changes.
5. Fill mix tank with RO and start all over again.

I just dont see the need for the additional RO storage tank. ???
I have two tanks so I can have both FW and SW ready at a moments notice. I need FW for top-offs, mixing Kalk, etc. I need SW for waterchanges. It's always good to keep a backstock of water for emergency changes and the things you don't/can't forsee.

Edit: I didn't see the response above already. Sorry.

Hartdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2010, 10:51 PM   #43
captain7359
Registered Member

Here's what I've got rigged up.

My ro/di goes into the left barrel via the white poly line. The red tubing coming out goes to my dosing pump which feed my kalk reactor for all my topoff water.
With one bag of salt I can mix up a 45 gallon change or max it out at a 55 gallon change. Between filling, mixing, draining, and refilling a 55 gallon change took me less than 30 minutes combined over the last 2 days.

With the bottom left valve I can pull ro/di water and pump it into the right mixing barrel. Close the ro valve and open the bottom right and top valve on the salt barrel and I can recirculate for mixing and heating.

With the bottom middle valve I can hook the vinyl tubing up via the union and pull water from any one of my 3 tanks in the sump system or my 40 frag tank and pump it right to the sewer drain.

Above the topmost tee and valve at the ceiling are the last pair of valves that either let me pump tank water to the sewer or back to the sumps with fresh mix.

I've got to add one more valve on the discharge of the pump to allow me to pump just ro for random use.

Besides the spare ro valve the only regret I have is not putting the middle valve coming off the bottom of the pipe so I could use it as a drain for the pump when I've got to pull it.

And here's my double ro setup that feeds it all.

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:14 PM.
captain7359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2010, 08:01 AM   #44
lwolfe44
Registered Member

trying to talk the wife into one of those reef sheds....lol

lwolfe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2010, 11:38 AM   #45
johnd651
Registered Member

i love all the pictures...if only i had the room, time, and money

well, this is all I have for a poor college student, renting an apartment

its a bucket, with a heater, and 160gph submersible pump.

ahh....dreaming about a shed or garage like that

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1220091456.jpg (47.4 KB, 1292 views)

55 Gal - Agg African Cichlid ~ 55 Gal - Comm African Cichlid ~ 75 Gal - Empty ~ 75 Gal Hex - Empty ~ 10 Gal - Fish Timeout tank (N. Fusco) ~ 5 Gal Marineland - Fry Tank(24 M. Auratus) ~ 240 Gal Acrylic - Empty and possibly failure waiting to happen
johnd651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2010, 06:39 PM   #46
psteeleb
Registered Member

normally I'll have water from the main return flow into this tank and overflow back to the sump

when it's time for a water change I shut off the flow, put a plug in the overflow and this tank becomes issolated from the system

then I'll pump out the water and refill the tank with RO/DI, mix the salt, let it run for 24 hours, check parameters and if everything is good, open the valve and start the flow again

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2010, 06:53 PM   #47
connecticut cichlids
Craft Beer Geek

very nice guys......i love seeing all the different setups that we are using

Unread 01/05/2010, 07:37 PM   #48
jimzin15754
Registered Member

This is a great thread! I am totally impressed with all the ingenous plumbing you all have come up with to make life easier! I think Im gonna have to start doing my water changes from the basement instead of lugging buckets and dripping all over the place!

jimzin15754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2010, 08:14 PM   #49
mklukas
Registered Member

Bumping this back up. I'd love to see some more setups as I've been spending some time planning out how I want to handle water changes when I eventually get another tank setup. Some of these systems are simply wonderful!

It would be really nice to see some setups from more space-limited folks.

mklukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2010, 01:43 AM   #50
cmacld
Registered Member

i dont know what counts as limited space..
but here is mine. the drawing doesnt show the closed loop which is used to churn the salt.
it is very simple and gravity fed. just takes a couple minutes for a water change.
i just drain some water into my mixing tank from the RO tank. Add salt..wait for salt to mix..
then i shut down my system, allowing my return section to fill up fully, i then turn a valve which drains my return section.
once empty, i turn another valve to add the new batch of SW to the return tank.
restart... rinse and repeat!

Current Tank Info: 100g rimless

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 05:14 PM.
cmacld is offline   Reply With Quote