Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2016, 06:24 PM   #1
marleesan
Registered Member

Mixing Dwarf Angels

I am setting up a 90 gallon and was wondering if I can have two dwarf angels. I currently have a cherub angel (1") and would add the second angel (flame) about 4 months after the cherub angel. Is this possible?

marleesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2016, 06:32 PM   #2
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I've never done it before but I've seen people with 30 and 40 gallon tanks do it so I would think so. Maybe get some light diffuser and split the tank in half and let them get used to each other.

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2016, 08:38 PM   #3
Half Vaped
Registered Member

It's possible, but could end horribly for one or both fish. I had a Flame Angel for less than a month when I introduced a Coral Beauty in an acclimation box for about a week. No aggression at all while the Coral Beauty was in the box.

As soon as I released the Coral Beauty, the Flame started attacking it relentlessly and it went into hiding in the rocks. I never saw the Coral Beauty again. That was in a 150G. The Flame got along with everything else, though.

I never had a Cherub, but I read that they, too, can be pretty nasty. I think you're doing the right thing by putting the Cherub in first since it's smaller. Maybe try a larger Flame, use an acclimation box and be ready to catch one of them, if needed. I also find that heavy, frequent feedings can reduce aggression in many fish.

Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 05:33 AM   #4
Angel101
Registered Member

Some people constantly repeat received wisdom and say, oh no it cannot be done, when in fact it can. I have three in a two foot cube. A Flame, a Cherub and a Golden and have never had any problems with aggression.

Angel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 08:09 AM   #5
ntropics
Registered Member

I had a bicolor, coral beauty, and rusty angel in a 180. Never had any problem with aggression either.

ntropics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 08:51 AM   #6
scooter31707
Registered Member

Had a Flame and a half-back in a 120 that every time they saw each other it was on, lip-locking and everything until my tang would come and break it up. I would not recommend it in a 90, especially with those two which can be jerks.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 01:37 PM   #7
silentstorm
Registered Member

While people have done it in the past - doesn't mean its going to work each time...cause it really comes down to the individual fish. But I personally wouldn't push it in a 90 gallon ...
My experience is, its worked for me in my 180 gallon - I did start out with issues which lasted for few weeks - tried everything to catching one & finally before I toredown the tank to get them out - they settled!

On the other hand, if you definitely want to test the waters - I would introduce the flame 2nd as you planned (if he is bigger than the cherub) / same size, would think about introducing together (which has worked for most).

silentstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 04:41 PM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have kept multiple dwarf Angels together in all sorts of sized tanks. Some combinations ended badly, but most learned to live together mostly peacefully. The key in sucessfully acclimatizing any new fish to a community tank is to ensure the fish is in good condition. Expecting a new fish suffering from the stress of being caught and shipped to then survive the initial hazing process, is the ultimate in stupidity IME. I put all new fish though many weeks of QT, for disease certainly, but also to ensure that they have regained their appetite and a healthy weight. Doesn't guarantee success, but sure increases the odds.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 09:34 PM   #9
fishfreak2009
Swimming in the School

If they are added at the same time that generally helps quite a bit. I have a flame, 2 coral beauties, and a lemonpeel in my tank, as well as a baby Koran and a baby regal. Everyone gets along pretty well, only occasional nipping between the coral beauty pair. In my old 180 I had a nox, a bicolor, a lemonpeel, 2 coral beauties, a Potter's, a regal, a Koran, and a juvenile emperor and didn't have any issues.

Lots of food and lots of rock kept everyone happy. Rearranging the rocks upon adding to the tank and having a mirror helps as well. I always suggest trying to find small females. They fit better in a pecking order.

Current Tank Info: 380 gallon shallow reef in progress, 40 gallon quarantine
fishfreak2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 11:08 AM   #10
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I have kept multiple dwarf Angels together in all sorts of sized tanks. Some combinations ended badly, but most learned to live together mostly peacefully. The key in sucessfully acclimatizing any new fish to a community tank is to ensure the fish is in good condition. Expecting a new fish suffering from the stress of being caught and shipped to then survive the initial hazing process, is the ultimate in stupidity IME. I put all new fish though many weeks of QT, for disease certainly, but also to ensure that they have regained their appetite and a healthy weight. Doesn't guarantee success, but sure increases the odds.
Simon hits the nail on the head here with this...

I have also found (as has been mentioned) that adding larger ones after smaller ones are established is preferable, or at least adding smaller ones together at the same time...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 11:14 AM   #11
hogfanreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
i have kept multiple dwarf angels together in all sorts of sized tanks. Some combinations ended badly, but most learned to live together mostly peacefully. The key in sucessfully acclimatizing any new fish to a community tank is to ensure the fish is in good condition. Expecting a new fish suffering from the stress of being caught and shipped to then survive the initial hazing process, is the ultimate in stupidity ime. I put all new fish though many weeks of qt, for disease certainly, but also to ensure that they have regained their appetite and a healthy weight. Doesn't guarantee success, but sure increases the odds.
+1

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 gallon, mixed reef, SPS and wrasse dominant
hogfanreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 12:33 PM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Close relatives may form mixed harems. For example Centropyge aurantonotus and Centropyge argi are known for this where their distribution areas overlap in the South Caribbean.

The other option would be to go for species that are as far related as possible and have very different color schemes and behaviors.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 01:47 PM   #13
skeeter2134
Registered Member

I have three dwarf angels in a 125 gallon reef. Bicolor, Flame and Potter's. The first two have been in the tank for about two years. The potter's is the smallest and this probably caused the flame to check him out but did't feel threatened. All three doing well.

skeeter2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 01:51 PM   #14
Cancun
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleesan View Post
I am setting up a 90 gallon and was wondering if I can have two dwarf angels. I currently have a cherub angel (1") and would add the second angel (flame) about 4 months after the cherub angel. Is this possible?
I have to agree....it depends on the individual fish. Can it be done...sure. Bit what might work for some may not work for you and vise versa....I have never had any luck mixing dwarfs in my 4ft 80 gallon....it always ended bad....even adding at the same time...rearranging the live rock....the mirror trick...so now I only keep one dwarf angel. I won't try two again.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2016, 02:32 PM   #15
Kremis
Registered Member

Depends on the individual like said above. Could end up great, could result in death of either the flame angel or cherub

Kremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 08:21 PM   #16
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Whenever you buy a fish there is a chance it won’t make it and even with QT a chance you will introduce something bad in the tank. Every purchase is a risk. I have a Flame but am really considering a cherub. To me the upside is with it. Just like the 4 clowns I have that weren’t supposed to mame it together.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2017, 11:37 AM   #17
ReefTeacher
Registered Member

I have mixed dwarf angels many times...but more timid species, Golden, midnight, coral beauties.

The cherub, C. argi, I had a great deal of experience with, and one of my students even tried to form a harem of them. They are tiny, but they are beasts! I have seen them attack an Emperor at least 10 times its size....and intimidate him! It was trying to inflict "death by 1000 cuts!" I would be very cautious about putting other angels in with them. Just watch carefully, if they make it through the first few days, usually the battle is won.

ReefTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 10:11 AM   #18
cwschoon
Registered Member

I am dripping in a Coral Beauty for my 120 mixed reef now. I have a ton of rock and hope all will be well with my Flame Angel. The new Beauty is larger than the Flame.

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2018, 10:43 AM   #19
KU Ned
Registered Member

How did the new Coral Beauty work out?

KU Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 11:24 AM   #20
cwschoon
Registered Member

All went well, after a day or so of tussling

cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2018, 08:20 PM   #21
KU Ned
Registered Member

Great!

I added a Eibl (Red Stripe) to my 70 Gallon tall last week with a Coral Beauty that I have had for over a year. The Coral Beauty was a little aggressive at first but the Red Stripe is slightly larger and nipped back. Since then they mind their own business and sometimes even nip at the same rock/algae together.

KU Ned is offline   Reply With Quote