Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2011, 03:15 PM   #1
rocking
Registered Member

what is the best salt

what is the best salt out there for a reef tank with good trace minarils ?

rocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 04:06 PM   #2
nanojg
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1714505

Depends, what are you looking for in a salt?

nanojg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Bobbofin
Registered Member

I use Tropic Marin Pro and have used the standard Tropic Marin. I've used Tropic Marin for 19 or the 20 years of reefing. Everytime I use something else my tank does not do as well.

Bobbofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 05:33 PM   #4
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

I like red sea pro because its made from actual ocean salt

65g - Radion XR30 G3 Pro x2 - Deltec SCA 1351 - APEX - Tunze - Vortech
t4zalews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 07:07 PM   #5
milkman55
Registered Member

I mix Oceanic 50/50 with Instant Ocean. Oceanic has high calcium and trace elements, but the IO kind of balance the final saltwater mix. This mix is quite common in my area.

milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 10:07 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

We don't know much about the trace mineral content of salt products, really. Some tests have been done, but the contents of the salt could change quite a bit from batch to batch.

Unread 03/15/2011, 10:27 PM   #7
evoi19
Registered Member

just finished my last batch of the old red sea coral pro salt mix. It worked good for me. Dissolved quickly and gave good results. I'm going to start with the new version of red sea coral pro in my next water change and i heard that it has higher alk so we'll see.

Unread 03/16/2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I like red sea pro because its made from actual ocean salt

FWIW, it is not just dried ocean water, despite what you might read or hear. One cannot make an artificial salt mix that way. All they seem to really claim is that the sodium chlroide comes from the Red Sea. All of the other ingredients presumably have other sources.

In reality, I think almost all sodium chloride basically derives from dried ocean water in some fashion. So I don't see the difference here, despite the marketing by Red Sea.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 07:54 PM   #9
allsps40
Registered Member

Tropic Marine Pro and DD H2Ocean

Current Tank Info: Past reef tanks: 20H softy, 29G mixed reef, 55G mixed reef, 40B sps dominant mixed reef and 75G sps dominant mixed reef. No tank currently
allsps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 08:38 PM   #10
lucidvtec
avid Reefer

red sea PRO....it comes in the black container....works great for me

lucidvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Thisseemsfishy
Just another Reefer

I like IO reef crystals. I honestly think i could see a change in one WC.

Thisseemsfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2011, 08:57 PM   #12
bdroptjj
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoi19 View Post
just finished my last batch of the old red sea coral pro salt mix. It worked good for me. Dissolved quickly and gave good results. I'm going to start with the new version of red sea coral pro in my next water change and i heard that it has higher alk so we'll see.
+1 on the higher Alk of the new Red Sea Coral Pro. I've had to dial back the two part dosing since using this salt. Be prepared for some serious residue in your mixing container, though.

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy rimless 60x24x18 ~ ATB Elegance 200 Pro ~ Apex ~ MP40wES x2 ~ Radion XR30 x3 ~ Nextreef MR1 reactors ~ ATB Flowstar 1500 ~ Bubble Magus doser ~ Trigger Systems Ruby 36 sump
bdroptjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 01:25 AM   #13
1leftygolfer
Registered Member

After using RC for sometime, I tried Seachem Salinity. I like how much easier it mixes up without residual leftovers. Is better for the added cost? Hard to say...probably paying extra for the fancy lab test report stuck the side of the bucket.

Unread 03/17/2011, 04:51 AM   #14
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

FWIW, I choose to use Instant Ocean. I've not been convinced anything else is better.

Unread 03/17/2011, 05:08 AM   #15
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
FWIW, I choose to use Instant Ocean. I've not been convinced anything else is better.
Hi Randy, Good to have a chemists opinion! I just wondered why IO instead of RC since you have a reef tank.
Hope you don't mind me asking since I've been using RC.

Thank you much

pmrossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 05:29 AM   #16
BFG
Registered Member

I'm gonna finish my DD H2Ocean bucket and return to Marine Environment. Was able to grow coraline algae with ME but none appeared for the DD salts. I do not dose anything with the 2 salts, just relying on water change.

Unread 03/17/2011, 05:58 AM   #17
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I just wondered why IO instead of RC since you have a reef tank.

Here's my standard commentary on salts. Some of it may be a bit dated as I've not kept up on every formulation change to every brand:

I do not think there is a "best" salt mix. Nearly all of them will work fine as long as you know their pros and cons.

I don't want excessive borate, which leaves out Seachem.

I don't want vitamins or anything else organic in my mix (because I doubt their utility, they degrade with time to who knows what, bacteria may thrive on them as I store new salt water for a substantial period, they are totally undescribed with respect to amounts or identity, they are often not naturally present in natural seawater at appreciable levels, and because I've occasionally had them mess with my skimmer), so that tosses out some like Reef Crystals, hW Marinemix Plus BioElements, Kent, Coralife, and Nutri-SeaWater.

I don't want excessive calcium (long term use of limewater as I use drives up calcium, so I do not want it starting high), so that tosses out a bunch, such as Kent, Seachem, Coralife and Oceanic.

There are certain companies that I will not support due to their misleading claims and/or product lines. That tosses out a few which I won't detail here since it is my personal thought as opposed to a specific issue with their salt mix.

I won't use certain lines of natural seawater due to excessive metals in it.

That only leaves a few to choose from, such as Instant Ocean and Tropic Marin Pro. The remaining ones might all be fine for me, but IO is lower in cost, especially if you get it when it goes on sale (which it frequently does). It also has a very long track record of success in many aquaria with relatively few concerning issues of bad batches.

Unread 03/17/2011, 06:32 AM   #18
GR214
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
I just wondered why IO instead of RC since you have a reef tank.

Here's my standard commentary on salts. Some of it may be a bit dated as I've not kept up on every formulation change to every brand:

I do not think there is a "best" salt mix. Nearly all of them will work fine as long as you know their pros and cons.

I don't want excessive borate, which leaves out Seachem.

I don't want vitamins or anything else organic in my mix (because I doubt their utility, they degrade with time to who knows what, bacteria may thrive on them as I store new salt water for a substantial period, they are totally undescribed with respect to amounts or identity, they are often not naturally present in natural seawater at appreciable levels, and because I've occasionally had them mess with my skimmer), so that tosses out some like Reef Crystals, hW Marinemix Plus BioElements, Kent, Coralife, and Nutri-SeaWater.

I don't want excessive calcium (long term use of limewater as I use drives up calcium, so I do not want it starting high), so that tosses out a bunch, such as Kent, Seachem, Coralife and Oceanic.

There are certain companies that I will not support due to their misleading claims and/or product lines. That tosses out a few which I won't detail here since it is my personal thought as opposed to a specific issue with their salt mix.

I won't use certain lines of natural seawater due to excessive metals in it.

That only leaves a few to choose from, such as Instant Ocean and Tropic Marin Pro. The remaining ones might all be fine for me, but IO is lower in cost, especially if you get it when it goes on sale (which it frequently does). It also has a very long track record of success in many aquaria with relatively few concerning issues of bad batches.
Good info thanks and point well taken I have a few friends that are super die hard IO followers that have grown amazing sps reefs. My self in the past I have used red sea on my current tank I am trying out IO

GR214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 06:40 AM   #19
pmrossetti
Registered Member

Thank you so much Randy

Best post ever on salt! I really appreciate your time and expertise. thanks again!

pmrossetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 07:19 AM   #20
zaheda
Registered Member

Talking of salt does one get the exact amount of water after its mixed. Some people in South Africa claim they get like maybe 450 to 500L when its stated to make up 600L. One aquarium shop changes to Brightwell salt as they say gives the exact amount as stated at salinity of 1025. A friend of mine started using the Trpoic Marin Bio Activ salt and his tank looks amazing, too expensive for me. I just purchased the Red Sea Pro and got a bucket of Sera Salt this week. The Sera was using for years and worked for me and is very cheap. Red Sea is my first time going to use and want to see the results.

zaheda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 08:09 AM   #21
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I've never measured how much I get, but from what I've seen others report, some of the manufacturers are either a bit overly optimistic about their salts, or expect the salinity to be less than 35 ppt when mixed.

Unread 03/17/2011, 08:23 AM   #22
simonh
Premium Member

Interesting new datum to add to the choice:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

"Red Sea salt, on the other hand, does appear to bring with it a not insignificant bacterial load. Once again, there was little increase over 5 days, indicating that sufficient nutrients for growth were not available under these "sterile" conditions. What is so special about Red Sea salt? This salt, uniquely among the six mixes tested, is made, at least partially, by drying authentic seawater. Thus, it appears to retain some viable bacteria from the drying process. The other five salt mixes are prepared from mixing strictly chemical sources of the components. "

simonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 08:57 AM   #23
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Yes, good point. I'm not sure whether it is a pro or con, but it is a difference.

Also, the data in Figure 13 would seem to support my concern for bacteria growing in Reef Crystals, although whether that extends to other salt mixes (with or without added organics) we do not know.

Unread 03/17/2011, 09:37 AM   #24
REEF-n-Chicago
Registered Member

When I started in the hobby (10 or so years ago) I started with Red Sea by default.
(the regular one)
It happened to be at the pet store.

Had great results and used it for years. Switched to RC, due to price, and have not been as happy or had as great of tanks.

With that said.... anyone know the major differences between Red Sea and the Pro version?

My tank gets DRUNK every morning

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon w/ 100 gallon sump; 240 gallon
REEF-n-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2011, 12:30 PM   #25
Jakef150
Registered Member

What about esv salt ? Anyone ?

I'm happy with tropic pro but price yikes! So I
Going to try esv salt soon

Jake

Jakef150 is offline   Reply With Quote