Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2015, 04:46 PM   #1
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

New stuff for the tank...almost got it right.

Bought a long target feeder tube for the new corals, a refractometer, new GFO and a bigger circ pump.

All of it is great but the pump. Man that thing is too big and powerful. Instantly blew sand all over the place. I have a Jebao WP10, upgraded to the WP25... I'm between sizes, I want a nice wave motion but the WP10 seems to have lost some pop. The 25 is way to macho for my little tank...

Any suggestions?

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon cube
JammyBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

The 25 may be too much for your tank. I have one in my 80 and it blew everything around when I first put it in. They do lose some of their punch after a month or so

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon reef tank with 30 gal refugium
Newsmyrna80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Treefer88
Registered Member

New to forums and pardon my bad educate

New to the whole forum thing and reef tanks. Have plenty of experience to freshwater so I'm not a complete newbie. Had a few questions on my setup and what I can do to improve. 65 gal. Tall
Hob overflow box
Trickle wet dry filter with sump stocked with polish pad,nitrate pad, and carbon
100 lbs plus of mature live rock
2-3 watts per gal with 10 k 14k and attinic not sure of nm
Kent cyclone reactor with dr time reef pearls
680 gph cir pump
Power head
Hob aquarium systems protein skimmer 3" dia

Having diatom issue as well as nuisance algae tank has been cycled... But was neglected bought it second hand. Just added macro algae and the kent cyclone reactor curiouser of what other actions or equipment I can utilize to help combat the diatoms and algae.... Don't have a reef test kit so I can't elaborate on parameters besides temp and salinity.... I know I know reef test kit is my next purchase....(any suggestions) temp 78 salinity 1.025 thanks for your time and look forward to being apart of the forum

Treefer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 07:27 PM   #4
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

You just hijacked my post...I'm so upset...

Just kidding...

I got the Red Sea base kit that measures ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity and pH...GET THAT ONE... I started with the ATI test kit and man was it a mistake.

Anyway, diatoms...welcome to the club. They happen, they go away on there own. Algae is probably phosphates from new rock or whatever in your tank. A GFO reactor will take care of that.

The polisher you're running is probably overkill...I've never used one but I think you only run those a few days a month to clean up the tank. Not sure I don't have one...

I'm a sump guy so I don't know anything about HOB options.

Get the test kit and make sure you are cycled then add a clean up crew of snails, I recommend nassarius, cerith and dwarf cerith snails. My ceriths crushed my diatom bloom in under a week.

Now stop hijacking posts...lol

Unread 01/06/2015, 07:52 PM   #5
A sea K
Registered Member

I have no idea if a wp25 is a controllable pump or not, if it is then the easy solution would be to get a controller and turn the pump down.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Treefer88
Registered Member

Sorry jammybirch lesson learned hahaha my hang on the back is just the overflow box as for the GFO I'm using dr rims reef pearls which are said to function similar. They reduce nitrates ands phosphates

Treefer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A sea K View Post
I have no idea if a wp25 is a controllable pump or not, if it is then the easy solution would be to get a controller and turn the pump down.
They are controllable but even on the lowest setting it will still be too much for a 25 gallon.

Unread 01/07/2015, 08:22 AM   #8
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsmyrna80 View Post
They are controllable but even on the lowest setting it will still be too much for a 25 gallon.
yup...that's exactly what i found out...

What really bugs me it the WP10 lost enough power that it's significantly noticable...i may not buy another one of these pumps because of that. Are they all like that though, i really like the controller on the Jebao, what are the korilias like?

!!For sale and brand new Jebao WP25...!!

Unread 01/07/2015, 08:30 AM   #9
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefer88 View Post
Sorry jammybirch lesson learned hahaha my hang on the back is just the overflow box as for the GFO I'm using dr rims reef pearls which are said to function similar. They reduce nitrates ands phosphates
Sounds like bio pellets, i haven't used them. I control nitrates via water changes, 20% twice a month, and phosphates with GFO.

I'm new to this and really am interested in keeping it simple, water changes are easy and GFO i change it out once a month. I run a clean up crew that takes care of diatoms, algae and left over food and have a skimmer that works really well i empty the cup once a week maybe.

Other than that i feed my fish and corals and just enjoy watching the tank with my family. It's really clean and i have everything simple enough my wife can manage it when i travel, even when we go out of town the neighbor manages it for us...

I think the best approach is to start with the bare bones, say a cycled tank with nothing in it yet, manage the cycle by ghost feeding and measuring parameters. Do that for a while and see what happens, deal with any problems then add some live stock like a CUC or a pair of clowns (if you already have a working CUC installed)...see what happens, deal with any problems...add some corals.

It's all about learning really...my diatom bloom was so bad it looked terrible, everything was dark stringy brown stuff...added a dwarf cerith snail CUC and they had it cleaned up in under a week. Stuff like that is big time learning at least in my opinion.

Unread 01/07/2015, 01:49 PM   #10
Newsmyrna80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyBirch View Post
yup...that's exactly what i found out...

What really bugs me it the WP10 lost enough power that it's significantly noticable...i may not buy another one of these pumps because of that. Are they all like that though, i really like the controller on the Jebao, what are the korilias like?

!!For sale and brand new Jebao WP25...!!
From what I've read they all lose power. Some people have said that after they give them a good cleaning they get some of their power back. The koralias I have can not be controlled but they don't lose as much power as the Jebaos.