Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2014, 09:08 PM   #1
shawnriv
Registered Member

Flame Angel with Popeye (with pictures)

Hi Everyone,

I've had a flame angel in quarantine for the past two and a half weeks and noticed he has come down with popeye. He had been in quarantine for about twelve days until I noticed one of his eye beginning to get cloudy. He's been eating very well (knock on wood) marine flakes with garlic and swimming, but just can't seem to shake this cloudy eye. I've been dosing his tank for the past five days with API's Melafix. Check out some pictures below. I have a one of his normal eye and some of his popeye.

Normal:

Popeye:

Thanks!

shawnriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Crush Coral
Registered Member

I was just at a fellow refers house and his coral beat had it for a month then went away. eye looks perfect now. i would feed it some good rinsed meaty food too. i have had a flame for a 7 weeks now and love him. he has not picked on coals yet!!!!

Crush Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 09:36 PM   #3
shaggss
Registered Member

I agree with better food. Get some mysis shrimp and chop up some clams etc for him. I would also blacken out the back and sides of the QT as this will help him settle.

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 09:39 PM   #4
shawnriv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
I agree with better food. Get some mysis shrimp and chop up some clams etc for him. I would also blacken out the back and sides of the QT as this will help him settle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush Coral View Post
I was just at a fellow refers house and his coral beat had it for a month then went away. eye looks perfect now. i would feed it some good rinsed meaty food too. i have had a flame for a 7 weeks now and love him. he has not picked on coals yet!!!!
Thanks for the response! I've tried feeding him New Life Spectrum (as I do with my clowns in my DT) but didn't seem to like it. I also tried freeze dried mysis, and same outcome. I imagine he likes the flakes since they're easier to chew and he can suck them right up.

Do you think I should continue to dose with the medication?

Unread 09/22/2014, 09:56 PM   #5
Crush Coral
Registered Member

What is the active ingredient in melafix? i would pit my stock in better food, low stress by blocking out the sides and back of the tank, and good water quality.

Unread 09/23/2014, 12:03 AM   #6
pyithar
Registered Member

i agree with above posters about better food, low stress and good water quality but if it's not getting better after a few days, i would treat it with furan-2. good luck.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2014, 07:02 AM   #7
shawnriv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyithar View Post
i agree with above posters about better food, low stress and good water quality but if it's not getting better after a few days, i would treat it with furan-2. good luck.
Sounds like a plan. Have you had experience using furan-2? I've read multiple posts of other reefers mentioning furan-2.

Unread 09/23/2014, 07:36 AM   #8
Crush Coral
Registered Member

Pop eye usually is not something to treat with an antibiotic unless u want to try mediated food. Furan 2 is good for external diseases. Always one of my go to med when i managed lfs . Just the above tank and feeding suggestions is a good course w/o meds imho. usually goes away on its own within a month .

Unread 09/23/2014, 11:14 AM   #9
shawnriv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush Coral View Post
Pop eye usually is not something to treat with an antibiotic unless u want to try mediated food. Furan 2 is good for external diseases. Always one of my go to med when i managed lfs . Just the above tank and feeding suggestions is a good course w/o meds imho. usually goes away on its own within a month .
Thanks! How often do you perform water changes on a QT tank. My tank is only ten gallon and I use water from my DT for the water changes. I usually do 10% (one gallon) every two days.

Unread 09/23/2014, 03:25 PM   #10
kelrn98
Registered Member

You should watch your ammonia levels very closely in QT. An ammonia alert badge is a good idea. Be prepared to do water change at all times as ammonia can spike really quickly.

Current Tank Info: 96x24x30 -300g mixed reef: 75g sump, 35g fuge, 2x MP60, 4x Radion Pros, reef octopus X5000 skimmer, way too much LR and a few fish
kelrn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2014, 06:46 PM   #11
phillrodrigo
Registered Member

It went away pretty quickly on my meleranus wrasse. I wanna say a week 2 max. I didn't use any medications.

phillrodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2014, 07:23 PM   #12
pyithar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnriv View Post
Sounds like a plan. Have you had experience using furan-2? I've read multiple posts of other reefers mentioning furan-2.
i would not use any medication if it's not necessary. my understanding is if your fish has only one cloudy eye, it could be mild bacterial infection or an injury. in both cases, good food, good water quality, less stress and it will heal on its own. if both eyes are cloudy, it's most likely bacterial infection. in that case you'll need to treat the fish with an antibiotic. i've used furan-2 many times with success.

Current Tank Info: 150G display, 50G sump, mixed reef
pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, flame angel, pop eye, popeye