Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2011, 09:59 AM   #1
GhostCon1
Rebmem Deretsiger

Touching

I have a question, and I would love to hear from people with long, established tanks where it has been happening.

I see lots of tank where the sps never touch, and then I see some that have amazing sps and they are all so close to each other. I hear differing opinions on whether or not your sps will kill each other off if they touch (with one being dominant and destroying the other colony).

I am running out of real estate in my tank but would love more frags. So, are your sps that are touching each other doing ok?

Basically I want to know can I get more frags and let them grow out into each other without worry I will lose a lot of money.

Current Tank Info: Getting a big'un
GhostCon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2011, 10:03 AM   #2
dudley moray
sisternofuselessknowledge

my monti's grow around each other without causing damage. my acro's on the other hand aren't close yet

Current Tank Info: 90 gal south pacific biotope 40 gal sump/fuge ,65 gal rebuilding
dudley moray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2011, 07:35 PM   #3
hk855
Registered Member

It really depends on the two corals. Some like mounts can grow intertwined without any effects. Others will attack touching colonies with a mas exodus of polyps from the attacking colony. They then kill off the victim and return to their colony, a lot like how army ants work. I think there is a video of this in the blue planet series, and then there are all those in-between. I have seen this on some frags that get too close, usually just the tips tho. I think your safe with montis but don't know what else.

hk855 is offline   Reply With Quote